Thread: Awaiting Donor

Thumbs up Awaiting Donor

Hello<

My husband and I are awaiting to start our IVF journey as there is currently an 18 month wait for donor sperm. Does every clinic has this kind of waiting time?? Is there any way around this?? We don't have any friends we could ask or family members.

Just wanting to know if anyone elses clinic has this kind of a wait time, and if anyone else found another way.

sincerely
    Redlady

It really does depend on the clinic. Our clinic had a few donors in 'storage' so we got a choice, so it really depend on where you go. Sorry that your wait is so long I hope you are able to access a donor sooner than that xxx

Sorry, I was going to write something else but am feeding and Jazz is being a terror to my boob...

If you are wanting an unknown donor is it possible to find a clinic who imports sperm from another country, like the U.S.? The wait on Australian donors is because of an extreme shortage - Australian donors cannot be paid, and they also must (I think *must*) be ok to be contacted once any child born turns 18, the combination can turn a lot of people off.

Quote Originally Posted by redlady View Post
    My husband and I are awaiting to start our IVF journey as there is currently an 18 month wait for donor sperm. Does every clinic has this kind of waiting time?? Is there any way around this?? We don't have any friends we could ask or family members.

Just wanting to know if anyone elses clinic has this kind of a wait time, and if anyone else found another way.
    Hi RedLady,

Australian donors are purely altruistic as they do not get paid money. They do it as a "generous gift" to help a family in need.

Proposed legislation in various states of Australia is resulting in sperm donor numbers "drying up" due to lack of "respect for","consideration of" and "consultation with" donors. It is basically the case that donor's rights are being abused so now Australian donors are answering with their "feet".

Which state do you live in? There is a clinic in Sydney called Fertility First that imports sperm from overseas. I would suggest that you give them a call.

Thank you we live in NSW I will try and give this fertility clinic a call.

Your welcome redlady. Hope it goes well.

Hello,

I haven't been on here because I lost my password. I got a new one and keep in written down in a diary.

We have found someone who is willing to help us start a family. He is a professional and already has 4 children of his own.

He is willing to go through all the testing so thats good news.

Myself and my DH are now wondering....if we go through the clinic it is still an 6 month wait before we start as our IVF clinic quaranteens sperm for 6 months. Or do we use home insemination techniques. This precious donor is willing to do either, but does not want ongoing contact with the resulting kids. Which myself and my husband are fine with.

I do not mean to make a controversy. Just wondering which way to go. It already seems like we have waited enough and Im getting older. The biological clock is ticking.

In the end the decision is ours to make. But would appreciate input. CONSTRUCTIVE input. Non biased, non religious based input.

bye for now
    redlady.