Thread: "Future Families" on SBS in Jan and Feb

Default "Future Families" on SBS in Jan and Feb

Hi ladies,
    On Jan 8 at 7.30 on SBS there is a 5 part series starting. the first two are titled Making Babies and are to do with donor conception. A friend I met online is on one of the shows, showing her and her donor's journey. It is an Australian show so will be very relevant and hopefully will be good.

Hi Anney,
    Thanks for letting us know. I for one will definitely be watching this one. As i have been a recipient of egg, sperm and now donor embies. Should be interesting.

cybert369 Guest

I just watched it and it was very interesting, does anyone know what the internet address is for the egg donors forum that was on the show?

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

I watched it (SuziQ reminded me) and cried through most of it. My clinic was featured too and that brought back memories. It was amazing. Wish I'd tape it now.

Sushee,
    i thought of you when I saw the Perth stuff. I thought the look they gave us into the lab in Perth was really interesting ie. the ringing of the bell for each egg and the embryologist using their hands to keep the embies warm before transfer. Interesting stuff for all us IVFers.
    did you know that doctor - he seemed to be doing everything!

anney have you contacted SBS to see if you can get it from them???

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Dr Mazzuchelli isn't my FS but did one EPU for me and my last transfer. But it was the staff who I knew so well that made it bittersweet. I also went into Concept yesterday to pay my final bill and some of the staff came out and hugged me as it was the last time I was ever coming in, and that was hard for me too. I am more convinced though now from watching the doco yesterday that I will continue to be involved in infertility advocacy for the rest of my life.
    Last edited by sushee; January 9th, 2008 at 01:31 PM.

Hi Ladies,
    I watched the show and thought it was brilliant - cried thru it too. I thought it was fantastic the way they focused not just on the recipient but on the donor and their families as well, it gave it such a positive spin and so glad i watched it as i am about to have my donated embies transfered by the 1st week of march this year. I have done the donor egg and donor sperm thing but now going all the way with donated embies and am so excited. I can't wait to see the next episode - does anyone know when it is , its not on this coming week, or is it on again in Feb? Anyone know?

Hi all.... I posted this on the other thread, but thought I'd put it here for you Lissie... some more info on the next episodes...

15-01-08... Making Babies: Donor Generation, 7:30pm
    While the use of donors is becoming more common, for a generation of donor conceived children they may never unlock the truth about their donor's identity. For the most part donor conception has been practiced in a legal vacuum and the rights of the donor's anonymity eclipses the rights of the child. Australia is leading the world in its approach to donor conception but there is still a legislative mountain to climb before all states follow a unified set of guidelines. Donor Generation explores the complex legal terrain surrounding donation and the issues faced by families wanting to meet their donor and adults in search of their donor siblings.

22-01-08... 2 Mums and a Dad, 7:30pm
    Continuing SBS's Future Families season of programs is the award-winning documentary 2 Mums and a Dad, the story of the rocky road of three-way parenting. 2 Mums and a Dad is a unique exploration of the nature of family in today's complicated society. It is a sometimes roller coaster ride from pregnancy to parenthood in a most unusual unit, while also tackling universal issues of relevance for anyone with a family. Fiona is thirty-three and wants to have a baby, but her partner, Kellie, is a woman and sperm isn't part of their equation. However, Fiona has a solution: an English gay guy from work wants to be a dad. Fiona and Kelly want their child to have a father. It seems to be the perfect solution, but is it?

29-01-08... Two Men and Two Babies, 7:30pm
    Two Men and Two Babies is a follow-up documentary that takes audiences back into the lives of Tony Wood and Lee Matthews, Australia's first gay male couple to take the controversial step of creating a new family through commercial surrogacy in the United States.
    The first documentary (MAN MADE: THE STORY OF TWO MEN & A BABY) explored Tony and Lee's overwhelming desire to have a child, their decision to pursue commercial surrogacy, and their fraught journey to Cedar Rapids, Iowa to experience the birth of their son Alexander to a surrogate, Junoa.
    It is five years since Alexander's birth, and Tony and Lee now have a second child, Lucinda through surrogacy. Same egg donor, same surrogate. The sequel will document the intervening years since Alexander's birth and provide a unique insight into the world of this alternative family.

01-02-08... Maverick Mother (aka Janet's Baby), 10pm
    Maverick Mother, a documentary for SBS Television's Making Babies series, is the personal story of filmmaker Janet Merewether's journey. Tired of waiting for the perfect partner, and alarmed by the deafening tic-toc of her biological clock, the 39 year-old decides to take life into her own hands and embark on a journey into the new social phenomenon of single motherhood by choice.

THanks for that Alisia, i will be watching.