Thread: should i sell jewelery seperately or in bulk lots?

Question should i sell jewelery seperately or in bulk lots?

hi all
    ive been an ebay buyer for a long time but never sold anything, have looked into the fees, postage etc and all seems ready to go...
    i used to work at Diva (the costume jewelery place) and bought ALOT of jewelery while i worked there....we had to wear the newest stuff while working plus i bought alot of cute things for myself....so i have quite an array, but with baby on the way i decided to do some spring cleaning and discovered i have a bunch id like to sell.
    obviously its 2nd hand (used by me) but only gonna sell the things that still are in great nick.

so my question is, which option do you think is better?
    1. sell pieces individually (e.g. 1 pair earrings, then a seperate listing for 1 bangle, etc)
    2. list in 'sets' of what looks good together (e.g. a black set with one pr black earrings, one black bangle, one black necklace etc)
    3. bulk lots of each (e.g. 5 mixed bangles, seperate listing 10 prs mixed earrings)

which would you be more inclined to go for?
    im only going to sell them for maybe $2 per item, id be happy just to make something, and get rid of it all, i really cant bring myself to throw it all away and my friends have already come and picked what they want!
    cheers

Hmm... as a buyer, or bidder, I would probably be more likely to bid on a set of items, rather than individual items unless it was something I really really liked. So to me number 2 would work well, whilst number 3 is in bulk, does anyone really need 10 pairs of earings?
    HTH and good luck!!

I agree with Storm, sets that match would be better although pesonally i wouldn't buy 2nd hand earrings from Diva (sorry) I like diva stuff but I feel funny about 2nd hand earrings.

I was going to say the same thing about second-hand earrings, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable wearing them.

But I think selling them in sets is a good idea, it will be a lot less work for you. It is a lot of work to list things individually to only make a couple of dollars (if it sells), then deduct the eBay & PayPal fees, then go to the effort to package and post them!

Good luck

rhyb Guest

I agree with the other girls but 2nd hand earrings dont bother me Id just sterilize them.
    Pity ebay doesnt work for me

thanks ladies
    sorry to freak you out but most people try the earrings on at diva before they buy them...i asked my old boss are they allowed to do that? apparently yes
    so pick some from the back of the stack when you buy if your worried about that he he he
    but yeah they can be sterilised easily
    cool well i will go put them in sets cheers

Quote Originally Posted by tattoo_mama View Post
    thanks ladies
    sorry to freak you out but most people try the earrings on at diva before they buy them...i asked my old boss are they allowed to do that? apparently yes
    so pick some from the back of the stack when you buy if your worried about that he he he
    but yeah they can be sterilised easily
    cool well i will go put them in sets cheers
    Wow! I thought that was against health regulations. I worked at a jewellery store and earrings could not be tried on and once earrings had left the building they could not be returned or exchanged because of this rule. Maybe it is a different state thing?

To answer your question I would sell a set which looks nice together

OMG I am off to sterilise all my Diva earrings!! I thought it was against health regs too, yuk! I feel sick now LOL
    Did you notice a lot of shoplifting tattoo??? DD1 knows lots of girls at school who shoplift from Diva (I like to hope she doesn't though)

I think option 2 would be good, the set that matches or close to matches one another.

and I can't believe people try them on!! I hold the card up next to my ear, and that is it. Yuk!

I don't do 2nd hand earrings personally, and I am always worried someone may have tried them on in shops. So I do wipe all my earrings over with metho before wearing when I purchase them anyway.

Would be interested in seeing what you have for sale, always on the lookout for funky bracelets and necklaces, can you post a link when you have them listed?

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww thats feral trying them on, i am positive it is againt health regulations to try or return earings.

personally i wouldnt buy 2nd hand earings.

but i do think sets is better idea

Yeah i agree its abit feral but i guess its the same as clothing stores...you never know how sweaty/gross the person who tried on a piece of clothing before you bought it was, so wash it before you wear it...
    people could return any piece of jewelery, i didnt have much choice but to put them back on the shelves...
    mrsmac: yes a fair bit of shoplifting, most stocktakes were about 10% wastage (shoplifting) but i think youll find this is about the same across all retail stores...i know the clothing shop i work at now is closer to 40%....shocking i know but they still must make profit...
    mich: going to take photos of the jewlery today and put on ebay in the next week so will post and let you know

Can you put it on here too????

how do i do that? i looked in the classifieds section but there were no posts in there?? do i have to be a paid memeber of BB?

smiles4u Guest

I'd be sooooo interested to know the answer to TattooMamas question too

By the way, i had a peek at your gallery ... you look soooo gorgeous ... and may i add your DP is not bad himself (looks a little like Kurt Cobain Nirvana singer)