Thread: 'Alternative' School Recommendations?

Default 'Alternative' School Recommendations?

I was wondering if anyone can suggest any alternative schools.
    I know Montessori and Steiner schools however I know there are plenty more around, any suggestions?

DD is still a few years away from school yet however I do not think that the public school system can cater to her needs. DH and I are seriously thinking of homeschooling however I would like to research every option out there.

We are happy to relocate if it means the best for our girls also, so Australia wide suggestions welcome .

look up "independent schools". There are more alternatives than just Montessori and Steiner. I think there is a website that caters for all of them.

Do you mind me asking what needs your DD has that you don't think will be adequately catered for by the public system (just so I can hopefully make an appropriate suggestion)?

My two cousins went to a Steiner school and loved it. One of them completed a Diploma of Horticulture at TAFE after graduating and she's travelled all around Australia (and to England also) trading land/yard work for room and board. The other one is at uni studying photography and is really talented.

So I have nothing but phrase for Steiner schools.

My daughter goes to a small independent school which is an alternative to home schooling. There are 19 children in her school at the moment K-6. The school is set on an acre of land with the "school" being a small 3 bedroom cottage. They climb trees, do creek care, have a frog pond and a vegetable garden.... its lovely. My daughter is high functioning autism and there is one other boy at the school with more special needs, the rest are all "normal". The school has a very nurturing environment which I love.

Sunshine Beach State School is a Glasser Quality School and the only one in Australia. I'm not sure if this is the kind of thing that you are after, but if you are looking at options, it is another one. It is also a state school so there are alternative education options that don't cost $$$.

Here is the link to the school website: Sunshine Beach State School

If you click on the cloud to the right of the heading on the website, it will explain what it means to be a Glasser Quality School. If you follow the 'Psychology Base' link from that page, it will explain the theory behind it all. Also there is more information in the panel to the left 'More about us' and the sublinks there.

Hope that helps

There are also schools following Reggio Emilia philosophy- such as Collingwood College in Melbourne.

There are many, many 'little' schools which often offer good alternative approaches that can suit various children. I went to a small public, rural primary school and had a lot of flexibility in my learning.

A friend of mine went to The Cottage School in Hobart and loved it.

A primary school near us, Briar Hill Primary School, offers a Steiner "like" stream. They also have a regular stream so children can switch over if the Steiner stream doesn't suit them but the culture is evident in the whole school. Not all the teachers in the Steiner stream are Steiner trained so it's not "real" Steiner and can suit families who are looking for an 'in between' approach.

Quite a lot to look at when you're looking nationally I'm sure! I'd love to hear more about how you go.

Collingwood College also has a Steiner Stream. I have had two friends that have taught there and it is my dream school. Definitely have a look.

There is also The village School in Croydon and a parent run co-op school somewhere near Park Orchards but I can't remember where and what the link is now :S Was just looking at them both the other day! Will pop back if I can find the link - looked very interesting. Good luck. xox

Thankyou so much for your replies, I kind of forgot to come back to this thread.

I love the steiner school philosophies but I would love to explore all of the other alternatives out there. DD is only 2 so I have a little time up my sleeve but I understand alot of these schools may have waiting lists. I love the look of Candlenut Steiner School, Kuranda, and we would love to move up north but as I said I am open to all options.

Chody - My DD has a chromosome abnormality she has global development delay, severe hearing loss and no real speech so far and continuing learning difficulties are expected, there is more but this is where my schooling problems may begin.

I'm off to look at the suggested schools and websites now... thankyou again .

DD - one thing to be aware of. If Miss M might need an aide in the classroom, it can be alot harder to get one in a non-government school.