Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to teach reading

Sorry i havent read all the replies but i have been talking to a few teachers (primary) and they all say the same thing, don't try to teach your child to read unless you are qualified as it can actually hinder them in future (i think this is based on teaching phonics?)

I always read to DD and she's good with the alphabet as well, but that doesnt mean she knows how to read (she's just good at memorising)

For the mean time i think i will just continue to read to her, she loves that.

Glad your DS have a flair of reading though, its great!!!!

I'm not going to enter into the debate as to whether you should be teaching your son to read or anything, you're his parent.
    i just wanted to say, wow. my son is nearly a year older and cannot yet recognise letters other than his name, and i have read to him since birth.
    he has a lot of other skills though, and is very social, so maybe he's got a different sort of intelligence.
    i think as long as a child isn't being pressured into anything, than most learning is good learning, iykwim?

Data collected from schools is showing more and more that children that have great decoding skills (being able to read texts) end up having a reading level way beyond their years but they have no idea how to use these skills and therefore the skills are wasted.
    This is the exact reason that I posted in the first place - so that I would know the most beneficial way of teaching him!

DS is a few weeks off 3, so he is hardly a baby. He has been picking his clothes and dressing himself for months and often helps cut veges for dinner etc.

A lot of people have said that we should use the before school time to have fun - you seem to miss the point that for him this is fun! He doesn't like music/dancing/drawing/craft. I really struggle with pretend play, a few minutes max and I just can't fake it any more. This is an activity that we can do together that we both like doing. I am not forcing him to read before he is ready, I was just trying to find out the best way to introduce reading skills!

Best be off now, time to chain him to the piano chair... if only he would practice I just know that he could be the next Mozart!

lol Arte - you just want him to go on Oprah

I worked in a children's educational bookshop and the advice we gave all the time was just to continually read to them. My boss (ex primary school librarian) always said that books with rhyme are a big help because the child can then start to anticipate the end word and then start to recognise the word too. Books like Mr McGee were her favourites for that. If you're looking for suggestions on books, try getting Mem Fox's Reading Magic which sells for about $8, or Paul Jennings The Reading Bug.

As far as using a pen goes, have you tried using one of those thick greylead pencils? I've heard that sometimes that helps the grip.

Hope that helps, you've got some great advice in this thread.

Corelly x

Arte - just wondering if you ended up trying Reading Eggs. I've just started with H and she absolutely loves it. In 1 week she's learnt the sounds of 5 letters, and spots them on cars, signs etc when we're out. It's fabulous!

We just did the free trial for Reading Eggs, but since he already recognised all the letters and their sounds it was a bit behind what he was up to iykwim? I didn't have the time to get through all the letter levels to get to the words so we let it go.

He can read about 6-7 words, I haven't really bothered with it because he has lost interest (bike for Christmas lol) but I am betting he will be a lot keener over the winter when we are shut inside more. He is starting to write letters (on his own accord) but gets very frustrated if he can't do it right the first time.

That is awesome that H is picking it up so quickly.

Artechim - this is based on no educational/knowledge whatsoever but I learnt to read by first learning the letters, then sounding them out (I guess this is phonetics) and having people read to me so that by osmosis you start to recognise words (I guess this is whole word thingymajig).

For what it's worth, children have been learning to read for ages. Theories will come and go, just as guidelines on solids change in the wind. I also think that perhaps different children learn in different ways and phonetics may be good for some, not good for others.

AND some kids want to read, some don't.

My sister learnt to read quite early. I didn't learn until I went to school because apparently I wouldn't sit still long enough. My house is filled with books, hers is not.

I think it's excellent that you're tuned into your little boy and find it quite ridiculous that anyone would imply that you're putting pressure on him. My DD is the opposite - she's not at all interested in sitting down to look at a book (apart from at bedtime because that delays going to sleep) but she is Mrs Social. All different, all with different things to offer the world.

Artechim - Reading eggs has an evaluation type thing to start them at the level they are at so you don't have to go through the 'basics'

Thanks Fionas

That is interesting Liz, maybe because I just did the free trial? Or maybe I ticked the wrong box when I signed up. Not sure if I can have the free trial again now (although they send me a million email offers!)

Hi Arte - you could just put A's name in for another free trial maybe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123