thread: School interviews ... what to expect?

Nothing like a cuddle from DD after a hard day's work!

Oct 2007
    in my own world

School interviews ... what to expect?

Hi guys,

We have a meeting with our Catholic school principal next Tuesday.

What questions are we expecting and is there any prep work that needs to be done?

DD is going to kindy (NSW) next yr.

Thanks in advance.

Mar 2004
    Sparta

I think that looking at the children is just as important as asking questions - do they seem happy and enthusiastic?

Ask what processes they follow to prevent bullying. A school that has bullying in hand will have specific protocols not just a blurb about it being unacceptable.
    How many teachers are on playground duty?
    Do they have a buddy system?
    What extra-curricular opportunities the school offers?
    Is it a healthy canteen?
    If a child is having trouble settling in and/or making friends how will they help?
    Reporting - how do they do it? can you see an example of a report?

Oct 2007
    in my own world

Oh so the interview is for us the ask questions? i thought they wanted to quiz DD on general knowledge.
    I have never been to one before so have absolutely no idea!

Apr 2006
    Perth

The only questions the principal and deputy asked us at our girls' interviews (they interviewed the girls together, with the principal's meeting going first and then the primary deputy so it was quite a long process) were very basic background questions about us as a family - what did my DH and I do, talked about holidays we'd been on, what we did together etc. Very non-specific and I think their main focus was just watching how the girls interacted with each other and us, played with the toys, etc. It was actually far more informal than I expected it to be.

By the time we got to the interview process we had already covered all the questions that we had via brochures, enrolments officer, and an open day.

Mar 2004
    Sparta

They might do some puzzles and stuff with your DD and ask her about what her favourite things are etc. This is your chance to tell the school what you expect of it and make sure that your views are in line with theirs.

They might ask you what you can do to help out at the school.

Dec 2007

Subbing to this as I am waiting on a call for an interview to the school we have enrolled our DD in next year too.

May 2007

hi
    at dd's interview (NSW catholic as well).
    The principle started by sitting down with DD and asked her to write her name and colour a picture.
    He then got out some blocks and asked her addition and subtraction questions (all under 10 ie 8-4 etc)
    Then he got out a book (early reader) and asked her to read it with him. it is a book which repeats the sentence with 1 word variation ie - this is a circle, this is a square.
    he listend to see if she recognised the words being repeated and new the shapes and colours.

He then talked to us about the school and its ethos and invited us to ask questions.

HTH

Oct 2007
    in my own world

Thanks ladies!

DD is really good at talking but when it comes actual academic stuff ie writing her name and reading she's not really good =(

I guess we will just have to see.

DMB will let you know what questions she was asked.

Thanks once again

Jan 2009

Wow! I had no idea that they interviewed your child and asked them maths questions and such. Aren't you the ones paying the fees to them? I would've thought all of the questions should have been coming from you to them!

Oct 2007
    in my own world

eheh im pretty sure they ask the child to see if they are ready for school?

Jan 2009

So they can turn children away if they feel they aren't ready? I've not had anything much to do with private schools, state schools just take them (in Qld anyway).

Oct 2007
    in my own world

I thnk so. I also had to supply a school readiness report frm DDs childcare.

State school is our backup. No need for any interviews just an enrolment form

Mar 2004
    Sparta

DD is really good at talking but when it comes actual academic stuff ie writing her name and reading she's not really good =(
    At DS1's interview they asked him to write his name but they didn't care that he couldn't. It's just to see where they are at and also things like if they know how to hold a pencil or what way up a book goes (some children get to school without knowing how to hold a book ).

Things like being able to take a jumper off or put it on and ask to use the loo and hold scissors and so on are far more important than any education they may have already received.

State school is our backup. No need for any interviews just an enrolment form
    We had interviews for public school even though we were in area. They still want to get to know you and your child and tell you about their expectations etc. I'm pretty sure that some schools with a strong demand from out of area parents encourage families that they think won't fit in to try schools in adjoining suburbs.
    I wouldn't enroll without an interview because I want to know the people who are educating my children.
    Last edited by Phteven; May 25th, 2012 at 08:10 PM.

Oct 2007
    in my own world

Oh really? I didnt knw that public schools also did that. Thanks for the heads up! My public school enrolment doesnt start until aug and the lady still havent sent an enrolment but I assumed there was no interview because I was in the area.

Dec 2007

Just wondering how your interview went..

We have ours on Thursday coming and the lady who called said that the kids all play together so that the teachers can watch their interaction with other children.. However if we can't make it and my Dad can take DD, then we can arrange the interview with the principle at another time. So sounds totally different again!

Oct 2007
    in my own world

Oh it went heaps better than I expected of DD we are sooo proud of her!

This is what the Principal asked her:
    * point to her name on the enrollment form
    * Write her name
    * Count the number of crayons in the pack (she were looking for one to one association, ie able to point to one crayon and then the next)
    * Say the colours of the crayons and distinguish light and dark colours of the same
    * Identify number 1 to 50 (which surprised us because she only counts to 20 usually!)
    * Then she had to identify 100, 200, 300 but she didnt know but the teacher goes, 1 (points to the zero and said "hundred" and then she pointed to the next number and said what is this and DD said 2 ... hundred, so the principal said its good that she actually picked it up as an association
    * Then she had to answer what her fav toy was and what she does with it
    * And then draw a pic of herself

Good luck with your interview.