Thread: What's your homework routine?

Default What's your homework routine?

I am useless when it comes to homework. All of the kids reports state their homework isn't handed. That's because we just don't have time to sit there and help them do it.

DH and I get home at 5.30pm 3 days a week, I cook tea and we both get the kids ready for bed. That's all I can manage between 5.30 and 8.30! On the 2 days I'm home early I just forget (weak excuse i know) because I'm catching up on washing, housework shopping etc. I find we don't have time for homework and I feel so guilty.

I'd love to hear your homework routines. Where do you find time to fit it in?

I'm sorry, I think I may misunderstand your question. You're asking when parents get time to do their children's homework? Not to sound silly, but could the children do their homework before you get home, then ask you any questions if there were problems or ask if you wanted to look over it - which you could do when they were in bed.

I find I do my homework straight after school, before I make dinner. That way it is done. Didn't do it that way as a teen: I did it in the registration/break sessions before the lesson. But doing it as soon as I get home is less stressful. Sometimes I pull the car over on the way home and have a good view as I do my homework, other times I have done it in Nursery car park and dashed to pick up DS the second I finished. Having said that, all homework is over by 5.30 that way. If your children cannot do it in the evenings, allow them to set an alarm clock so they get up and do it in the morning before school.

Doing homework is not the parents' responsibility, it is the child's. If they cannot take responsibility for their learning now, what makes people think they will take responsibility for learning new things at work or doing the job properly?

No LZ, she means when does she get time to SIT with her children to HELP them while they do it themselves. Not many kids will willingly sit on their own when home alone and do their homework. You've misunderstood I think

Tinks, Our kids don't get home till 4.30 in the afternoon, so our afternoon schedules are get home, get changed, have something to eat and play outside or watch TV until 5pm, then it's homework time till 5.30, then they can do whatever until 5.45 when it's bathtime. They are in bed by 7.30 so I have to get cracking as soon as they come home and stick to it otherwise the week is a shambles and you have to make them do the lot the night before it's due in. What time do your kids go to bed? They are a lot older than mine so they probably have a later bedtime? Maybe if it's too hard when you first get home, try to get dinner over with a little earlier and then have homework time after dinner? If you do a little bit each night then its a lot more manageable than doing heaps at once.

Sorry I totally forgot to get back to this thread.

Sorry if my question was unclear LZ, 6:30am isn't the best time of day for me to be thinking I didn't mean that I do their homework, I meant that I can't find time to sit them down to do it.

Default What's your homework routine?

Mine aren't at school yet but I remember when I started getting homework in grade three we'd do it after tea.

In general help was refused if we hadn't had a go at it first.

My parents didn't get home til 6pm from work so we'd get home (fdc til then) 615 ish, eat by 7.

Bedtime was 830 ( from prep onwards) so mustve done it on there sometimes