Thread: Anyone with PCOS?

Smile Anyone with PCOS?

Anyone out there like me with PCOS? Any tips re the weight issues?

Hi Marlea

You might like to join our Endo/Pcos forum found HERE

Love

Sal Guest

Hi there! I think the only tried and tested method for PCOS weight loss is a low GI diet, with regular moderate exercise. Metformin can also help a lot of PCOS women who struggle to lose weight.

Kirsty77 Guest

Hi I also have PCOS and like Sal has said a low GI diet works a treat. I found with moderate exercise and a balanced diet I had no probs with my weight. Some women do have major problems though and like Sal said Metformin is a drug specifically for women with PCOS and possible diabetes. Have you been tested??

Kirsty77 - Tested for diabetes you mean? I recently gave birth to a beautiful DD and had gestational diabetes through the pregnancy. I am now struggling to lose the 15 kilos which just stuck to my body! Perhaps I am being too hard on myself, DD is only just three months old.
    I was taking Metformin while TTC... Perhaps I should speak with my Doc re taking it regularly?

Astrolady - thanks for the link to the Endo/PCOS forum. I'll go have a look see.

Moving to PCOS forum

sophabulous Guest

Because at the heart of PCOS is insulin-related issues, a lot of Drs will suggest that metformin be taken for the long term, not just while you're TTC. I would speak to your Dr about it again. There are a lot of us in the clomid/metformin thread if you want to pop your head in and say hello!

As for weight issues, low GI is the recommended plan for PCOS sufferers. I have had success with the Tony Ferguson program however as well which is a meal replacement, low GI, low calorie diet.

stef Guest

HI
    I am new to this PCOS stuff and have struggled with my weight all my life. The only thing that has worked for me is NO CARBS not Low GI as sson as I add carbs weight loss stopped. No carbs does have some issues and is hard to stick to but I lost 20 kgs in less than 1 year. Also exercise helps but is soooo boring.
    Good luck
    Stef

I recently lost 10kgs in a month on a low carb, high protein diet. I also take metformin three times a day. It is much harder to lose weight since I they found out I had PCOS. I had gained 20kg last year and never had a weight problem before, and couldn't work out why in my job (I mow lawns for a living) that I could gain so much weight.

Metformin was the key for me, combined with diet.