thread: Booked my lap today - experiences?

Jan 2009

JLeigh, don't convince yourself that lots of symptoms means really bad endo - it can, but doesn't always. Some people have severe endo with next to no symptoms, some have severe symptoms with next to no endo. It does vary alot.

Oct 2006

YDI - Sorry to hear about your major surgery. Can I ask, how has the bowel resection affected your life since? Are there certain foods you can't eat? And, has there been any sign your endo has returned? What are the chances of it coming back? I am going to my gyno on Tues and am concerned my endo has returned. It was so close to the bowel last time and if it has returned, considering my symptoms a bowel resection is a distinct possibility. I am trying not to jump the gun, but can't help but think about it.
    Hi JLeigh. I had my surgery 2 years ago when i was 25. i had a double bowel resection 50cm small bowel and some rectum removed due to an endo nodule stuck causing a bowel blockage. I had my appendix out, tube, bi lateral ovarian endometriomas, bladder segmentation and endo removed from POD and other areas.

Honestly nothing could prepare me for the bowel surgery. i knew it was a possibility but didnt know what the symoptoms afterwards would be like. i couldnt leave the house for the best part of 3-4 months as i had to be within metres of a toilet. I have had diarrhea since the op, i still get bowel pain, and am not as mobile as i used to be. i also had a bowel obsturction from eating strawberries about a year after which was the worst pain imagineable so avoid them at all costs!

i have been on synarel (drug induced menopause) for 2 years as my dr was concerned due to its agressive nature and the severity of the op as i cant afford to have it come back and risk mure surgery.

The only foods i sometimes have issues digesting is dairy but as soon as i eat i have to run to the loo so i never know if its a food issue or not.

all in all im in a much better position now than i was before the op. its all about quality of life and now my symptoms are now much more manageable. feel free to PM me if you have any questions always happy to help!

Feb 2009

Hi girls - well I had my lap/hys and dye done on Friday 22 May - they found nothing, which is good, but doesn't give me answers.

All in all - it was an afternoon surgery, I was out of hospital later afternoon - have two areas with two stitches - and just unconfortable, very. Didn't get much shoulder tip pain, just below my neck was sore but that was it. Can't bend forward , because the stitches in my belly button hurt, but that is it. Back at work today (monday), don't know if I should be, as I am getting bad pains in my stomach (have been laying down all weekend and now sitting).

Anyway, that is my experience.

Nov 2008
    Perth, WA

Bec - Glad to hear that you lap went well, though am sorry it didn't give you any answers.

YDI - Thanks for your great reply. It sounds as though you have had a tough time, but I am glad your quality of live has improved since the op. I saw my gyno today. He was pretty sure I don't have any (severe) endo, just scarring. So it sounds as though I was worrying more than I needed to be. Having said that, it's always in the back of my head.

Lioness168 Guest

Hi girls, just thought I would share my lap/hysteroscopy, D&C and dye story.

I had my op on Tues 12/5/09. I was last on the list and my Dr was running late, so I stayed in hospital overnight which worked out to be really good. I was in the "unexplained infertility" category prior to the lap. The Dr found a significant amount of endo which he removed. Endo was buried in the uterus, pouch of douglas, uterosacral ligament and on the ureter which he dissected. I am having 4 weeks off work as my job is quite active and requires lifting, bending, etc.

I bled for 6 days post op which stopped when my cycle was due. I am still waiting on AF, and I am assuming it will return 4 weeks after the op but I am not sure. How did everyone else go with their AF post op?

I have heard that you can be more fertile post lap/D&C....I can't wait to try as its been about 24 months tcc. Has anyone else heard success stories after a lap/D&C?

xo

Nov 2008
    Perth, WA

Lioness - I've heard lots of people who have conceived one or two cycles after a lap, so that you can be one of them too!

I went straight onto the pill (no AF) after my lap so I can't answer your question about AF, but maybe someone else can...

Apr 2009
    Sydney

Hi Lioness

I have alot of faith in falling pg after a lap as back in June 06 i had a lap and was pg the next month and now have a gorgeous 2 yr old daughter. I just had another lap in April this year so im praying it happens nice and fast again!

I got AF 2 weeks after lap this time as that is when i was due,it didnt seem to upset my cycle at all.

Good luck

Jan 2009

I have 25 days to go.......

Lioness168 Guest

Thanks for your feedback and support guys, much appreciated . Definitely keeping my fingers crossed that things will happen soon. Congratulations on your daughter beckie after your last lap, I hope you get you BFP after this one as well. My FS also cut out the endo and assured me it wouldn't scar or come back.

Goodluck Amy for the 9/6...hope you get some answers from the lap.

Apr 2009
    Perth, WA

Smile

Thanks Lioness168...i'm a bit nervous about going under anesthetic...i've had a shocking flu for the last 3 and a half weeks!

I've taken 4 days off work for after the operation but we are meant to be moving house at the same time so fingers crossed I will have a quick recovery!

Lioness168 Guest

Best of luck I am sure you will be fine. The lead up was more nerve racking than anything. The op and afterwards isn't too bad. Just look after yourself and rest. I do not know how active your job is, but they recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity after the op for a couple of weeks (at least). As for the move, I hope you guys have grabbed a few friends or family members to help, as I don't think you will be doing much at all.....well, you shouldn't be anyway .

What are they doing the laparoscopy for?

Best of luck

Apr 2009
    Perth, WA

Thanks Lioness168

I'm sure i'll be ok as well...just need to rest up a bit. I think DH is more worried than I am...and needless to say he is a bit cranky about not being able to DTD when we move into our new house haha!

When I was 19 I had CNI 4 cells on my cervix which they removed. They went from normal to CNI 4 in 4 months which worried the doctors. My sister had a full historectomy at 25 so they want to make sure things are ok. I have been off the pill for 8 months now and have still not conceieved. They said they will give me another 4 months and if I still havent conceived they will send me to an infertillity clinic. I feel awful because im so young and I feel like those places should be reserved for older people who have been trying for longer....my doctor keeps telling me no and that sometimes its their choice to wait until they are older and that can cause their problems. I still feel bad though

Lioness168 Guest

Amy, sorry to hear about what's happened . I can understand why you are getting the op done. With your family history and your own personal history so far, you don't want to take chances and wait too long. I think you are doing the best thing. You must have been through alot emotionally with all this, especially with how fast everything has happened. And with your sister having a hysterectomy at 25, thats young. Did she get a chance to have a family before the op?

Best wishes, and don't feel bad, everyone's situation is different

Apr 2009
    Perth, WA

Amy, sorry to hear about what's happened . I can understand why you are getting the op done. With your family history and your own personal history so far, you don't want to take chances and wait too long. I think you are doing the best thing. You must have been through alot emotionally with all this, especially with how fast everything has happened. And with your sister having a hysterectomy at 25, thats young. Did she get a chance to have a family before the op?

Best wishes, and don't feel bad, everyone's situation is different

Oh thanks for that! Yeah its pretty scary but never mind we will get there eventually.
    It has been a very emotionally draining process....I think more so for my husband than for me. I found the Lettz procedre very painful so im glad im going to be knocked out for this one!

Yeah my sister has 3 girls now, her third was born 10 weeks prem and she had an incompetent cervix and it gave way while she was pregnant.

Here's hoping for a once its all over with.

to everyone here!

Amy

Jun 2009
    Melbourne - Rowville

Lioness - I've heard lots of people who have conceived one or two cycles after a lap, so that you can be one of them too!

I went straight onto the pill (no AF) after my lap so I can't answer your question about AF, but maybe someone else can...

Hi ladies,

I am one of those ladies who fell pregnant 2 months after my lap/hysteroscopy.. I was TTC for 2.5 years & during the surgery they found a little endo and some "gunk" in my tubes that they flushed through with the dye (not blocked as such). My AF was not all affected by the surgery.

Good luck and I wish you all a BFP soon.

Apr 2009
    Perth, WA

Smile

Hi girls,

Sorry its taken me ages to get on here and post a reply! Had my lap done on 9th June, and the anesthetic really affected me. I've had anesthetic a few time before but this time it really knocked me for six! I felt like I was drunk for a good three days after it and didnt feel like I could drive or make a phone call that made sense haha.

I got a letter from the doctor after my surgery that said that they found nothing and that my cervix and uterus looked completely normal on the inside. On one hand thats great because it means that there is nothing wrong but on the other hand I feel like im back at square one again and it doesnt answer the painful sex, very heavy periods etc.

We get the keys to our new house on Thursday and I am flying out to Malaysian for work on saturday, darling husband is going to have a great time painting and moving in on his own!!! Here's hoping that when I get back and life settles down a bit i'll get that

to all your girls out there!!!

Nov 2008
    Perth, WA

Amy - I can understand how your results can be both good and bad. Sorry you didn't get any answers. Where to next? Does your dr have a plan?

Apr 2009
    Perth, WA

Hi JLeigh,

No he doesnt have a plan...I didnt even get to speak to him as he was in another surgery. I have another clinic appointment on 20th August 09, but fingers crossed ill be pregnant by then....If not I guess i'll have to see what he says