Thread: Confused...?

Default Confused...?

Hey girls.

I was told i had PCOS last year. It hit me like a tonne of bricks as i thought i might not be able to have kids. But this february i found out i was pregnant. I was also on the pill. It still amazes me as to how i could of gotten pregnant.

But what i'm confused about is that my doc didnt really think me having PCOS was a bad thing and she never gave me anything for it? :-s Also what is metformin? I heared some of the girls are taking it for their PCOS. Also does PCOS affect you if you're already pregnant?

Thanks in advance

Hi there Tegan, I got the exact same response when I was first diagnosed. I was told I might have trouble concieving but also in the same breath "don't worry you are young" (I was 17). I wonder if your age had anything to do with it (I am no ageist don't worry LOL) but sometimes I think dr's try not to worry us until we need to worry. Sometimes PCOS isn't a problem especially early on but the longer you have it the more symptoms seem to crop up (so I have seen in mine and others experiences). Metformin is a drug used to help regulate the insulin levels (which can cause weight gain and annovulatory cycles) and to regulate or induce ovulation. The pill is a funny thing for women with PCOS, it can actually regulate the hormones and it is often used to induce ovulation too. I fell pregnant with my daughter on the first cycle off the pill yet this time I have had nothing but trouble with long annovulatory cycles that have only just started to become regular thanks to metformin. PCOS can cause miscarriage in some women but I am pretty sure you don't have to worry about that. Other than that as far as I know apart for being a higher risk from Gestational Diabetes it doens't affect pregnancy in any way.

Goodluck, look forward to talking to you more.

*hugs*
    Cailin

Thanks cailin. im not so confused anymore.