Thread: could i have pocs?

Default could i have pocs?

Hi everyone,

I've only posted here once before and it was about my endo and operation. I thought of you all today when I went to have my ultrasound...

i'm 19...Ive never really had heavy or irregular periods, but VERY bad pain with the endo. And pain when ovulating...

I had an ultrasound today to try to find a reason for my post op pain and the woman doing the u/s casually asked how I was finding my periods with the polycystic ovaries...

and i was like 8-[ what now?

And she said that i had them at my last u/s earlier this year as well, it was on my notes....

So now i'm confused...a little angry that this has never been discussed with me..and hoping that she was wrong!!

Can you diagnose soley off the ultrasound?

Ive been on the pill since i was 16, so she said that the pill was supressing it...any experiences with this? i'm going to talk to the gynae about it and following my op i'm losing confidence in herand getting a second opinion...

Just wondering what others thought...
    thank you,
    Cazz

Cazz,

I believe you can have cysts on the ovaries but not have PCOS. There is a difference but I'm not exactly sure what it is. I hope you can get more info from your gynaecologist to help you work out what the issues are.

I'm not sure about cysts, but problems like endo are definitely helped by being on the pill. I imagine that as with all hormonal issues, any existing condition that is aggravated by the constant hormonal fluctuation will probably not be as bad while you are on the pill so that's a good thing.

That said if you are still uneasy with your doctor and feel like you would benefit from a second opinion, it can't hurt to get one. I'm glad you seem to be so aware of your health issues now because this will be a big help to you later in your reproductive life. I remember thinking for years that I had endo but the doctors I consulted didn't think to refer me to a gynaecologist for a look. I just kept getting prescribed things for the period pain! I should have been pushy enough to ask because sometimes you have to shout to be heard.

Anyway, have a chat with your doctor and I hope that clarifies your next move for you.

Mel

Hi Mel,
    Thanks for the reply. I just found some info that said you can have PCO witout the syndrome part, I know i really need to talk to a gynae and that I can't take the word of an ultrasound woman as gospel.

I've been really lucky that I have parents that are very supportive and don't accept that I should be in pain- so i got diagnosed very quickly! I just wish my body would start behaving itself and do what its meant to- like stop hurting!! \/ LOL!

thank you again- lack of info and insensitive woman had me freaked!
    Cazz xx

Kirsty77 Guest

My advice...get a second opinion.When I was diagnosed with PCOS I went and got a second opinion straight away.And if your not happy with your gyno, switch, it makes life so much easier when you can trust your gyno and they discuss EVERYTHING with you.

Hi Cazz!!!!

You can have polycystic ovaries (PCO) without actually having PCOS.
    PCO is basically having the little cysts on your ovaries, but to be diagnosed with PCOS you have to have... Some of the other symptoms (I'm not sure how many but there is a minumum): hairiness (particularly on face, or breast or tummy), acne, anovulation, irregular periods, certsn horminal issues, weight issues... could be more but I cant remember right now.
    As far as being diagnosed from u/s... well the appearance of cysts will only be shown on u/s (internal is best for diagnosis), but the diagnosis of PCOS - as I said there needs to be tests done for the other symptoms.
    Also with the pill being a good mask for PCO/PCOS - I have found this to be true, I never noticed I had a problem with my period as I was regulated, the acne was under control - and I had no reason to think that there was a problem cos I wasnt trying to get pregnant!!!!
    I am overweight but thought that was just cos I got lazy!!!!

I totally agree if u r not entirely happy with what has happened with ur gyno then get a second opinion... u need to be sure that u r getting the best info and advice, and if u now know that u havent been told something, how can u guarantee they wont miss or just leave out something later....

Hope everything works out fine and you find the info u r looking for...
    All the best
    Jen

sorry for the LOOOOONG post 8-[

Thank you everyone for your replies,

I totally understand these days the difference between PCO and PCOS, with the help of you ladies! I think that the lack of info I had, the way i was told and that the only info I could find was about PCOS, never just PCO I made jumps unnecessarily!

i'm going to the doc with my parents (yay for dad, too much info on me again!) on friday and I'll ask her some serious questions...i just keep reminding myself that the u/s woman doesn't necessarily know what is happening...and still confused that my doc saw my ovaries 'in the flesh' and said they were healthy...

Oh well, no point stressing!
    Thank you again
    Cazz