Thread: Elevated insulin Levels

Default Elevated insulin Levels

Right i have PCOS and endo for good measure, but these are not really affecting my health really. What is though and what may be in fact really preventing me form getting pg and keeping it apparently are my elvated insulin levels. Right i am not diabetic but what happens apparently is my pcos increase my insulin levels - making me hungry- so i eat more - but also my pcos prevents my body from utilising the sugar attched to the insulin causing fat. so its a nasty never ending cycle as my body is constantly hungry due to the insulin levels and as i can't use it i produce more fat and more insulin etc etc.

According to my doctor this is not condusive to conceiving - how did he descibe it - "it so sticky and sweet down there the sperm stop along the way to like their finger" - i know totally inappropriate but it lightened the moment anyway. Also with high insulin there can be trouble developing a vascular sytem - hence implantation doesn't happen well - and could be why i lost the baby last time.My level currently are 191 (80 is the maximum healthy limit)

Anyway all ths means that i have to lose weight big time another 10-15 kgs - my dr thinks their is a threshold for me as when i was last down that low my insulin was normal - so i am coming off the clomid and doing met formin - (2000mg) and duromine which is an appetite suppresant (and apparently addictive) as well as dieting.

Has anyone else had this condition and still had a healthy baby. i undestand that not all girls with PCOS have insulin resistance but sometimes it goes hand and hand.

What a strange description your doctor gave you :-s

PCOS and insulin resistance are closely linked. The high insulin levels stop us ovulating.. nothing to do with the sperm (I wasn't sure if your doctor was joking.....) My insulin was about 200 at the one hour time point :evil:

The good news is that I have been on 1500 mg Metformin since April and have lost 12 kg so far. I also eat low GI and exercise at least 5 times a week. I decided that's what I needed to do as I did not want to get diabetes (which is a big possibility if I don't get my insulin under control)

AJ it must be really tough for you. I hope you can get you insulin under control really soon and hopefully have some 'positive' news to share with us

Be careful with Duromine its highly addictive and has a speedy effect on people yes it suppresses your appetite and gives you more energy but it makes you not want to eat at all which in effect when you do eat your body stores too much because it feels its starving its a dangerous drug and gives you either bad constipation or worse dihorreah ( i am speaking from experience) the metformin alone can control the weight loss i lost 38kg on metformin and 21 hours a week at the gym (got slightly addicted to it) but as soon as i fell pregnant all that weight has returned my insulin levels were double what they should have been and my testosterone was tripled. i was around 95 - 100kg when i fell pregnant the docs tell you to lose weight or no chance of falling pregnant it may work but it wont always and yes its deffinately worth the shot just please be careful with the duromine the side effects will knock you around as will the side effects of the metformin but take folic acid tabs to reduce them trust me that works well and adds to fertility. Good luck matey
    Have a great day
    Mel

thanks girlies - yeah i know its not the easiest road ahead but the good thing is i only have 10-15kg more to lose - hay lost 8-9 already without drugs - i am only on a 30 day course at a time of the duromine - have been on it before so know what i am in for - though didn't do it in conjunction with met last time - well the dr has given me eight weeks to lose the weight and regulate my insulin this way - just trying ot fast track it. I am still having an eating plan as well so that will ensure that i still actually eat - but eat the good stuff...

AJ - you've done so well in your weight loss so far, and I'm sure you'll continue to. The dietitian I saw last weekend explained it to me that when you're overweight, your adipose tissue (fat) surrounds the cells, which stops insulin working, thus 'insulin resistance'.
    Fingers crossed it all works out for you. I have to go and have a fasting BSL test, so I might be jumping on the bandwagon with you.

thanks cherie - hope that you results are good...

I have started the met at 1000mg so as i know that isn't going to be too harmful if i am pg - but not really thinking i am - so i guess we will just wait and see how we go.

thanks again for all the support guys...

Good luck AJ i have everything crossed for you darlin
    Have a great day
    Mel