Thread: Endometriosis

Lizzie33 Guest

Default Endometriosis

Does anyone know if Endometriosis runs in families? My older sister has it and I am TTC and would like some advice. I have only been off the pill for a few months, but my cycles have been 32,28,30 days since coming off. Was on the pill for years but prior to this I think I had relatively regular cycles, not overly heavy, not painful...anyone have any thoughts?

~Jane~ Guest

Hi Lizzie

I am pretty sure it does. I know there have been studies done on this so if you did some searches you should find something. I have had endo for years and it can effect cycle length and can also be present without being painful (although for me this isn't the case). If you are concerned it might be worth discussing with your doctor.

Good luck

Lizzie33 Guest

Default Endometriosis

Thanks Jane, I was hoping someone would say there was no link between sisters...I'm worried as I am 33 and probably not a whole lot of time left...also was hoping that as my cycles are reasonably regular and not painful, that I would be ok.

It can but if your sister has it, it doesn't mean to say you will have it too. It is a totally individual thing iykwim. When I was a member of the Endo Assoc of Vic they were actually looking for Sister with Endo to do a study but that was nealy 8 years ago now. Maybe they have some results.

Just moving this to the Endo forum too.

Love

Hi Lizzie

According to my gynae/surgeon it does run in the family, but i don't have anyone in my family with it...my endo is very very severe level 4/5... but i still have a good chance of pregnancy... like Jane said if you are concerned check with your GP and get a referal to a gyno! I have learnt always go with your gut feeling .... do what you think is right!

love leis xx

~Jane~ Guest

Like Kathryn said, definately doesn't mean it has to, I have two sisters who dont have it. My Mum however did have it, but also had 5 of us, so its just one of those things.

Lizzie,

I agree with what the other girls have said. I just wanted to add that the only way you can know for sure that you have endo is to have it diagnosed at laparoscopy. Also endo may be present but symptomless or you could have really obvious signs like I did such as spotting, bowel disturbance etc. which can give you a big red flag. You haven't mentioned anything like that which gives me a lot of hope =) A referral to a nice thorough gynaecologist is always a good thing and I'd encourage you to seek that if you have any concerns.

Kind regards,

Mel

Hi

My fertility Dr told me it can run in families.

I say have it checked out if you are worried. I used to always boast to my girlfriends about how pain free my periods where...never really even needed pain killers!...Pain usually came lightly and lasted an hour or so . THe only reason they discovered I had endo was I had a tube blocked so they did a laparoscopy/hysteroscopy and then discovered I had endo ..argh!.

But dont worry once it is removed your chances of falling pregnant are greatly increased!.