Thread: Help Needed Please

Question Help Needed Please

Ok I just got back from my dr's and was discussing the situation of me not falling pregnant and that I have PCOS etc and that I would like to try the tablet that helps you ovulate etc ...

Now I have been put on a diabetic tablet ( I am not a diabetec) to help drop some more kg's I have lost 10kg on my own already the tablet is called METFORMIN has anyone been pescribed this apparently this will cure my PCOS he said I forgot to mention this is another dr I tried not my regular I am just confused he said this will take over 12 months to work but the thing is we would like to TTC now

I am confused any help would be awesome !!!

Miss K,

Metformin won't cure PCOS but it will help stop the overproduction of insulin which is what happens with people with PCOS so it can help with weight reduction. The med used to help you ovulate is Clomid. It works on the pituitary gland by forcing it to stimulate the production of eggs. A low GI diet can also help with women with PCOS.

Unfortunately it is hard to put a timeframe on how long it will take for things to work and for you to fall pg because every body is different and your dr needs to work out the best dose for you without overstimulating you.

Best of luck!

Thanks for your help it has made me understand it a lil more... He doesn't think Clomid will work for me as I don't have my period anymore arrgh!

*Update*

Well you guys won't believe it I made a drs appointment on friday for my usual doctor to see if i could go on estelle to get my cycle going ...

Well this morning I woke up and did my Maybe Baby test and it had shown a couple of ferning patterns but not full ferns so I was like strange ...

Go to the ladies and sure enough I got my cycle for the first time in 12 MONTHS!!! so tomorrow i am headed to the gynaeo to start clomid I am soo excited hopefully she will prescribe it to me

Best of luck starting Clomid. I also have PCOS and am luckily enough to have a gorgeous DD. I will be back later to chat with you but Olivia has just woken up for a feed.

Aww how cute!!! So did you fall with clomid? I just am hoping she will start me as it has been soo long since I have had a cycle!

Hi Miss K,
    I'm back, sorry about that. Little munchin woke up early. I was diagnosed with PCOS after not being able to fall pg for over 12 months and having huge cycles with no ovulation. One aspect of my PCOS is that my hormones aren't too out of whack so I'm lucky there. My ovaries are in bad shape though. I was diagnosed in May and I was on day 23 of my cycle so my OB wanted to wait until my next AF to start clomid. After over 100 days later we gave up waiting and tried to induce my AF which took another 3 weeks and I ended up with a vaginal infection. Oh the joys. AF finally arrived but my OB wouldn't let me do Clomid for this cycle because of the infection/anti's but promised to control it down to a normal 28 day cycle so we could start ASAP. The night before we were to go in to our first Clomid appt and we did a HPT (we always did this for the 'just in case' factor) and low and behold we were pg and didn't even know it.
    Wishing you the best of luck with your appt today. Hopefully she will prescribe Clomid for you so you can get started. YAY! Let us know how you go. There is another thread in here about everyone's stories about PCOS. Have a read because there are some great stories in there.

Aww thanks!!! I will definately keep everyone updated tonight when I get home after work

Hi there.....
    If weight is a problem I'd definatley recommend going on a low gi diet- 6 years on metformin, 6 months on clomid, 1 IUI and 1 cycle of IVF did nothing for me..... losing the weight on a low GI diet did!
    Hope everything works out well for you...

That is a great tip neekyv. Losing weight can be a great help with TTC.