Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from another PCOS'er

JulieM Guest

Default Hi from another PCOS'er

Hi my name is Julie and I am a PCOS sufferer, was diagnoised in October 2000, but looking back had symptoms since 1995.

My story so far..

Periods consist of 90-120 day cycles...

Diagnoised, and put onto clomid, did three months of that..and we stopped because it was affecting our relationship..(between depression and mood swings we were just about ready for divorce)

Tried again 3 months later on two tablets..did that for 3 months and had to stop because it was affecting our relationship..

Moved 3 hours away from the gyno and decided to take a small break..We went back on clomid 2 tablets for 4 months and had to stop due to relationship issues...

Went on the tablets again 4 months later and went totally beserk they really stuffed up my hormones..I was depressed, crying, mad, skitsophrenic (sp) on them really...Did that for 3 months, and the last month nearly killed me..I thought that I was going to have to be put into the ward at a hospital...

We are looking to try again but this time I really want to get better informed and have more options, and also try to shift the 40/60 extra kgs that have packed themselves on since 1995...

Some of the information that you ladies have already suggested are just great and I would love to hear from you if u have had or are having similar problems...and what u are doing or have done to help...I have other friends who also suffer but they have had no troubles with the clomid....

Looking forward to hearing from you all and getting to know you...

Julie

Hi there Julie sorry to hear about all the struggles you have/are having. I can sympathise with some however I haven't had to go down the path of clomid yet so I can't help you with that one.

Feel free to vent away as you feel the need to as there are quite a few of us here now who can commiserate with each other.

I am off to see a gyno (the first real visit since I was diagnosed in 1997) in the next couple of months. His office hasn't reopened from xmas break yet. I am starting to get a bit anxious, mostly because I feel like my body is deteriorating if that makes any sense. I started getting my *mid cycle spotting* yesterday, and its a bit depressing as I was told by a dr recently that unlike what I had first thought in most cases its a bad thing. SO I am starting to worry about that. I really need to shed those extra Kg's, am currently trying WW to help me along.

Anyway enough about me, just thought I would say hi

Here's to a *lighter* and more *positive* year for the both of us!

*hugs*
    Cailin

jodster Guest

Hi Guys,

I am also a PCOS sufferer. I found out in 1998 when trying to get pregnant. I was put on clomid & fell pregnant first month. Very lucky!!

6 years later I am trying again on clomid & it is not working. We have been trying for a year - on clomid. I am ovulating but just not falling preggers.

Emotionally I am up and down all the time but my husbands just lets it slide - thank god!

The weight loss is a big issue with me. I put on 20kg having my boy & have lost 10 of that (straight after birth) but have not been able to lose any more.

I have been told that the best thing for PCOS is weightloss & to do that cut out carbohydrates?? I have tried but I love potatoes, rice, bread, pasta & all that I shoudn't have.

If I haven't fallen by march the gyno wants us to look at artificial insem or IVF & wants me to have a laproscopy (sp) which scares the hell out of me.

I wish everyone lots of luck with their endeavours

Cat81 Guest

Thanks for sharing your story's. I am a PCOSer and started to ttc #1 7 months ago. I really appreciate reading about other women with PCOS in the sameboat as me. I dont feel as alone anymore! Good luck to all ttc, and I hope i see around here soon!

Default Hey there!

Hi everyone, Im new to the forum as well. I was diagnoised in 1990 but the docotrs didnt know much about as you all already know. Fast forward to today and I was given metformin (glucophage) in Oct. 2003 and have lost 15 lbs. :smt023 . The only thing is that my cycle did not come on in Jan. This month has been rough. I feel deep down in my heart that I have had a m/c. :smt022 I have been shedding dark brown blood for 2 and 1/2 weeks. Went to the doctor and the test was . He said the hormone levels had dropped and there was a posibility that it was a missed m/c. I truly feel that it was. It still leaves a lump in my throat to know that I was pregnant and lost it. I just [-o< that the next time i'll be :bellyrub: just as i will [-o< for everyone else. inkdust: , :happy4u: . Please if any of you have had a first trimester miscarriage please let me know what your symptoms were and how dealt with the emotional set backs.

Thanks Alot

Deeva Doll,

You should go to the forum of TTC after m/c & loss. I'm sure the girls in there can help you out & they are very supportive.

Default This is for PCOS?

I dont understand why everyone keeps sending me some where else. I was already there in that forum and they told me to come here. I have PCOS and I thought that I would be able to get support here. I really feel like crying because I feel like I'm getting the run around just to talk to someone just like me. It was the same way with the doctors. You may not mean anything by it but it really does hurts me. :smt022

Sorry sweetie! I have been awol lately, so I haven't been able to catch up on many posts. I would love to chat to you I have PCOS too...and have just been seen by a fantastic gyno who is known for his work with PCOS'ers. How was the metformin if you don't mind me asking? I am possibly due to start on it in march and am trying to round up as much info as possible. I am so sorry to hear about your MC How awful for you! Feel free to post wherever you like on the BB forums, there are no rules, and you can get support from more than one forum at once! I am here for you no matter what. I am sure the others didn't mean to offend you, they were mearly trying to be supportive. If that makes any sense.

When it comes to the miscarriage though I would recommend the other forum, the girls there are great. But us PCOS'ers stick together here too so feel free to chat with us too. We are one big happy family here at BB

Hope to get to know you better!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Hello deevadoll!

I don't have PCOS but I just wanted to jump in for a minute - Cailin is right - the girls meant no offence and weren't trying to handball you at all. We're all so chatty and I know they'd all love to talk to you, i'm pretty certain that what they meant was that if you'd also like support for PCOS to join in here. It doesn't mean you can only come here!

There are so many sections on BellyBelly that if everyone just went to one area I don't think we'd get much talking done

Anyway, I do hope you are able to chat to lots of us girls - feel free to have as many favourite forums as you want and chat to anyone - we love chatting
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Default so sorry

I have to apologize for my rudeness. :shock: I have just been so topsy turvy lately that I'm snapping at the wrong people. Please forgive me.

Ya know, you ladies are right and thanks alot. I do have one question...Is anyone taking Metformin to regulate their cycle. I have been since october and I had a cycle lasting 1m1w (from late oct. to mid dec.) and then nothing for Jan. or this month. does anyone know how long it takes to regulate to a normal cycle?

Cat81 Guest

Hi Deevadoll,
    I was really sorry to read about your m/c. I am also taking Metformin and have since Oct 2003. But i was under the impression from my dr that it helps with insulin resistance, which then helps you to lose weight which in turn helps pcos symptoms, one being irregular cycles. I have had regular cycles despite the PCOS, and i'm not sure if this is due to the Metformin or not. Goodluck with ttc, and we are all here for you.

It is slowly helping me. I only take 500 mg and it has been okay. How many milligrams are you taking? Has it changed your appetite at all? I have a better out look on life now since I've been taking it. I'm going to try and talk to my doctor about increasing the dosage. I have lost about 15 pounds because of the and lowering the amout of high carbohydrates that I ate. Have you tried changing what you ate.? The Metformin does help with the insulin resistance. You might want to purchase a monitor to check your blood sugar. I did have a regular cycle for a month.but as you know the m/c occurred . I too hope and [-o< feveryones endevours. God bless you and on your TTC.

Cat81 Guest

Hi deeva,
    I take 1500 mg in a day. In the begining it did change my appetite, and i got used to that so i don't eat as much. Over the four months since i started it, I have been following a low GIdiet and have lost about 3 kg, which isn't much but i know lots of women have done better. I am really lucky cos i have regular cycles and i ovulate despite the PCOs, but i have as yet to fall pg and i am supposed to start Clomid in April and i'm not sure what it'll do seeing as i already ovulate. Maybe someone can help me out with this?

Hi Cat81,
    My doctor put me on 500mg because he says he always starts low to make sure the person can get use to the medication being in your body. My body has adjusted some what to it.

I called my docotr's office again to see if there were any openings and he has one for next friday . Now I don't have to wait a month for consultation for a D & C.

To answer your question on the Clomid, I have heard from a number of women who have taken it and have gotten pg within 3 to 6 months of taking it. The Clomid is suppose to make you fertile but the fact that you are ovulating, you may become pg easier than most. My doctor told me the same thing, because I had the same question. Great minds think alike?! . I [-o< that it works well for you and dh. A in the near future . How many mg of clomid will you be taking? I had received only 50mg but due to the m/c I'll have to wait alittle longer.

Keep me posted on your results and side effects while taking the Clomid.
    Not to be gross, but my nipples continually hurt while taking it 2 1/2 years ago. At that time I had a different ob\gyn and she gave me 100mg of it.

Let me stop talking. Chat with you all later.

Ok girls! I want to hear about any side effects with taking metformin????

I have heard diarrhea is really bad for the first 2 weeks, and also when you eat too many carbs? Anyone else had this?

Any information would be muchly appreciated!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Hi Cailin,

It's Deevadoll and the Metformin is great for PCOS. The major side effects are what you mentioned and last for 2 to 4 weeks. Yes, if you don't watch your "HIGH" Carb intake then you'll continually have diarreha.

I've lost 15 pounds from taking it. As you know, Carbs are in everything. So just watch out for the High Carboyhadrates. Check with your doctor to see if seeing a nutritionist is right for you. I honestly reccomend it.

Cat81 Guest

Hi Cailin,
    Many people say that the side effects are nausea, vomiting, sometimes headaches and diorrea. But I didn't really have any of that, only a tiny bit of nausea (not much) and maybe a couple of stomach aches, but that was only in the first 2 weeks. Most dr's start you at 500mg so you get used to it, then increase it, thus minimising the side effects.

Hello ladies, I hope all is well with everyone. I'm progressing. Along with the metformin, I'll be taking provera then clomid. So now the TTC an begin. Anyone else that is TTC can read my thread in trying to conceive.

I wish everyone good health and good luck!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast