Thread: How long to recover from laporosopy?

Default How long to recover from laporosopy?

hi ladies,
    sorry if the spelling is wrong, but I was wondering how long it took for others to physically recover from this laporosopy key hole surgery? I am an athlete training for a half ironman and want to know from others how long it took you to be able to do your normal activities again.........days, 1 week ....longer?

thanks for your input!

For the first week i was pretty sore and even driving was a bit tricky, especially the seatbelt across my tummy, but by the start of the second week it was starting to feel OK. I think it would depend on the person too to an extent. I know the rest of my tummy was sore from being blown up to do the procedure, but that settled quickly.

have you had it done already or are about to?

I was pretty much back on my feet, just a bit tender within a couple of days.

Love

Sal Guest

took me a full week to feel fully normal again

I think its really going to depend - my first one I recovered within about 2-3 days, my second one I was out for easily a week...

good luck, hope it goes well

I've had 12 laps now, and the recovery time has varied depending on what was "done" during the procedure and how long the procedure took. But you could probably "bank" on a week from work. Best of luck

Hi Runner,

Yep about a week sounds right. Like Sheree says, it depends what was done during the procedure. If it is fairly straightforward, you should feel like you're good to go again after about seven days. As you've got an event that you're training for though, it might be wise to check this with your doctor in case.

Best of luck,

Mel

I have had it done twice now, and both times took a good week to get over. Mainly due to the Shoulder tip and Diaphram Pain that i was getting from the trapped wind. HTH

I've had two, the most recent in Jan. I agree with the PPs, it depends on what was done. My recent one took me a good 10 days before I was up and about with pain/soreness, swelling continuing for a further couple of weeks. I did have a fair bit of work done to remove endo from my ovaries though.

thanks for the replies, I understand everyone is different and it depends on what is done. However, I just got some general information in the mail about the procedure and it states 4 weeks until you can do strenous exercise again.....4 weeks??? ahhh... that sounds like a lot to me.

I suppose what is strenous for one, is not for another. I will just have to wait until the operation is over and what was done and take it from there I suppose. Yes, I want this done, just glad I sheduled it 2 days AFTER my 100km cycling and half marathon event...
    I just hope I don't lose too much fitness - but on the other hand, if it helps us concieve again........then, yahoo !!

Runnermum, that is why it is always best to check with your surgeon. They are the ones best placed to tell you whether what you plan to do might be too strenuous or not.

Good luck with it and I hope it does help you towards getting your much longed for second baby.

I agree with you mostly Melbo - but my surgeon is certainly NO athlete...and I find most doctors have little experience with very fit patients - especially females.

I was recently in hospital after a cycling accident and after they took an ECG the dotor came racing back all worried - asking me questions about my heart, and whether I have had any heart problems etc....'no' I said. As it turns out, my heart is so strong and powerful as this shows up on the ECG in a completely different pattern or something as compared to non-athletes........ maybe seen in elite Aussie Rules players he said, but did not even consider that I may be an athlete...sad, really.

WE do recover much quicker normally........and although I will CERTAINLY listen to my surgeon, I would be great to hear from other women who are physically very active and hear about THEIR recovery rates.

it took me a good week but i also caught a cold just don't strain your self to much. i agree with the others aks your surgeon.

kerry

thanks virgobabe! The more replies I get the more I am beginning to wonder why it would take 4 weeks to recover....assuming there are no complications of course.