Thread: Introduction

Default Introduction

Hi. I'm new in here. DH and I have been TTC since January 2004. I was diagnosed with PCOS a couple of months ago after not having AF since going off the pill.

I don't suffer from weight gain (in fact, I was told to put on weight as I was slightly below average), but I do get a little acne which might be due to PCOS (?).

I am on my second cycle of clomid (taking 2 tablets). Last time I took 1 a day and nothing happened - hormones didn't even move. Very disappointing! Does anyone know if it makes any difference what time of the day clomid is taken?

I also found an ovulation test in the supermarket last week (i didn't even know they existed!!). Has anyone used one, do they work with induced ovulation?

I never really thought about not being able to get pregnant easily, so it's a bit of a shock since I'm fit and healthy and eat well, balanced lifestyle and all that.

katkley Guest

Hi LG, My name is Kathryn and I have just been diagnosed with PCOS as well, and I know exactly what you mean about thinking getting pregnant would be easy. I went off the pill in Feb and only had a period in April. So I went to my doc and I had heaps of tests done and then I was diagnosed. Im off back to the Doc on Friday where I assume I will be put on Meds to help me ovulate. He assures me that it wont be too long before I conceive, like you I am not overweight and I am quite healthy, I do have a bit of acne like you. Have you thought about charting your temp everyday, it helps to tell you if you have ovulated or not. Anyway hope all goes well for you, feel free to join us in TTC Monthly forum, they are all such nice people.

Cheers

Kat.

Just sticking my head in here to say welcome to BellyBelly LG!

I am in my first cycle of clomid atm. I have heard that the only difference with taking clomid at a different time of day is the effect it has on the side effects (if you take it at night then you will sleep through most of the side effects). The time of day doesn't have any effect on how well the clomid works though.

If you follow the link about half way down this page you will find OPKs that are much cheaper than in the shops. I use them and they work really well. I'm not sure how induced ovulation would affect an OPK though.

Good luck!

Hi there LG welcome to BB! I have PCOS too. Just wanted to let you know, that you really should check with your dr whether or not you can use OPK's as some women with PCOS have elevated levels of LH (the hormone detected when using OPK's) so you can get a false positive.

Angel do you only need 1 clomid per day you lucky duck I have to take 2 and I get soooooo nauseous!

*hugs*
    Cailin

belmarks Guest

Hi LG, I too suffer with PCOS, but was diagnosed at a very early age (15). I know its a relatively new thing that they are diagnosing, so there isn't much information around about it. I am not overweight either, but suffered with acne for years, I don't get acne now, but I have terrible skin.

I found that clomid didn't work for me at all, and my doctor didn't persist with it (he's pretty good like that) he has told me right from the start that I would need help conceiving, so I wasn't shocked. If the clomid does nothing for you, you should probably ask if you can try AIH, that's the next step.

Its kinda like IVF, you inject yourself with a low dose of drugs and then you ovulate and go home and do the biz yourself, its kinda natural I guess - well the conception is anyway. with IVF you do the injections (with higher doses of drugs) have to have multiple eggs mature and then go into hospital and have them extracted, put into a dish and then fertilised and lastly frozen. After you have any embryo in the dish, they then implant you a few days later.

Anyway, I raved on a bit there....

Look if clomid doesn't work for you, perhaps give AIH a go... :bloodt:

Cailin, yeah I'm on 50mg, so just the one tablet for me. Bummer about the nausea! How come you didn't start out with 50mg? I've heard that the lower dose side effects aren't quite so severe.

I think mine is 50mg twice a day I dunno why I am on two instead of one LOL!

How long before you find out you O'd?

*hugs*
    Cailin
    who is still waiting for the dreaded af to show!

I should be O'ing any day now!! Yay! My OBGYN doesn't do blood tests or anything to see if I've O'd so I just use OPKs, temping, and checking cp and cm to make sure I've O'd.

I've still got my fingers crossed that you get a BFP instead of AF, Cailin. Did you end up calling your doc to discuss your blood test results?

No I didn't I am slack I must try to remember to do it tomorrow!

*hugs*
    Cailin

belmarks Guest

Cailin, thats great that AF hasn't arrived, keep on crossing those fingers (and eyes - tee he he!) [-o<

redmoon Guest

hi, LG!

i was also diagnosed with pcos last sept 2003 , i went for my first clomid at 50mg per day last january. i took it in the morning and had no side effects whatsoever. i also used opk and was able to time our bding and got pregnant immediately. we lost our babies (clomid effect is probability of twins) after 9.5 weeks.

i went for my second try of clomid last month and it didn't work. this month we went again for it at same dosage but i'm having a bad case of its effects, cramps, tiredness, moodiness, etc. my doc says if i still don't get pregnant this time, we might increase it to 2 tabs next month.

also and lastly, this is long! my doc also mentioned temping may not be as accurate when you have pcos cuz something about hormones affecting your temp on certain days of the month. so opk, or measuring cm and cervix is your only chance.

take care and good luck,

Hi, thanks for all your replies. It's really great to hear everyone's stories here. I was especially interested in the AIH that you were talking about belmarks. I will ask my GY next time I see her. She said to give clomid a go for 3 cycles and then do MORE tests. BTW what does AIH stand for?

Tomorrow I have to have another blood test to see if I O'd. I'm pretty sure I didn't O from cd12-16 as I should've because I used the OPK's and it said nothing is happening! But we made sure to BD anyway! Will let you all know when I get the blood test results back...

Kirsty77 Guest

Default pcos

Hi My name is Kirsty and Ive just been diagnosed with PCOS about 3 months ago after many years of irregular periods while being on the pill.I came of the pill about 1 year ago hopeing that my periods would become regular and so I could try to conceive, but went to the doc and was diagnosed.I just want to hear from other people with PCOS and there experiences on clomid which I have to start taking if my period ever arrives!!!!(Its been 3 months and I'm climbing the walls!) I guess I just feel confused at the moment everthings sort of a blur, you expect to fall pregnant easily at 27!

Kirsty

Hi Kirsty

I don't have any experience with PCOS or Clomid but there is many people that do so I hope they will be able to give you some advice.

Welcome to BellyBelly

Love :hbeat:

Hi Kirsty,

Welcome to BellyBelly!

I don't know much about PCOS but I was recently put on Clomid as my cycles were very irregular, and I was lucky enough to get pg on the first round.

I hope your period arrives soon and the Clomid helps you get that BFP! Good luck! :luck:

katkley Guest

Hi Kirsty and welcome to BB. I have just finished my first round of serophene (clomid) I was on one tablet a day, I had an ultrasound on CD 14 to see if any eggs were getting bigger, but they weren't, so I have to go back next Monday and see if anything has happened. I dont think it will though. So then Dr is going to put me on two tablets a day. I hope it works. Anyway goodluck with it all.
    BTW I didn't actually have to wait until I got AF before I started, DR gave me Progestorone tablets which you take for 10 days and then a few days later you get a period, its saves you waiting for you get AF naturally.

Cheers

Kat O