Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New fellow PCOS-er

Suz, how much metformin are you taking? It's really important that you start on a low dose and build up slowly. I also found that in my first few days of taking it, if I took it with a high-carb meal, I had more stomach problems as a result. I can give you quite a few tricks on how to adjust dosages up slowly so that you can reduce the stomach problems, and you learn to identify which foods don't go well with metformin pretty quickly.

I'm glad you have a plan. I think it's quite sensible, too. Don't put too much pressure on yourself, and I do hope your GP is right about getting AF soon. Metformin alone wasn't enough for me, so don't beat yourself up too much if you can't establish a regular cycle, but I think that as you were regular in the past, it shouldn't be impossible - I never was.

BW

LOL Fletch no I'd never be away when the bubs are due - bonding time with Aunty Suz is very important PMSL

Thanks BW, I'm only on 250mg in the morning and night, but I am usually pretty sensitive to any meds so it doesn't surprise me (also getting over a cold too). I've been trying to eat low GI and low carb but have had a few minor slip ups (we had a morning tea at work with a yummy cake!) and I think that's what triggered it off

Thanks again

If it's too bad, drop to 250mg only once a day (probably night, if that's the meal you find easiest to ensure is low-carb), and when side effects have settled, go back to twice a day and work up from there.

I had terribly trouble with some of my arthritis meds - I had to increase by smaller increments, and take longer to do it, and sometimes I even had to alternate dosages for a while - eg 1 tablet, 2 tablets, 1 tablet, 2 tablets, 1 tablet, 2tablets, etc until I could finally cope ok on the 2 tablet days. It may take a little longer to get everything working if you have to do that, but it should make life a little easier.

BW

Lol at being around for the arrival of Tia and LF2 - that's a MUST!!! I said it earlier but i'll tell you again that i think your 'plan' sounds great - really positive! Sheesh - ok - TBH i can hardly contain how excited i am about the prospect of you guys TTCing in the near future...but i'll chill out - it's just my crazy preg hormones taking over

Hope your body begins to settle down a bit more with the meds!

Hey there SuziL,

I am pregnant now but was diagnosed with 'severe PCOS' last year after a complete absense of AF.

I went on Metformin and spent weeks on the loo, lol it was horrible, but I can assure you it will settle down. I started mine too fast, and what BW says is what dr's usually recommened, 250mg once a day for quite a while and then up it.

With metformin I finally started getting my periods again, and I also lost a dramatic amount of weight in a month with the help of metformin and a low carb diet (modified atkins). That is when I concieved, despite not TTC and only DTD twice that whole month. The doctors say it was just a lucky timing, that the dramatic weight loss combined with metformin that month was the key to make me ovulate at least once. I also have endometriosis and fibroids and was due to have surgery to have it all removed again this year, so my chances of conceiving and then having a viable pregnancy were medically zero.

So against those odds I conceived. And in my case my PCOS was considered quite bad, I had a scan just like yours by the sounds where they called in trainees to have a look at the polycystic ovaries.

I remained undiagnosed for a long time, mainly due to that one doctor didn't read my BT results properly, but luckily another one looked over them and saw that I had menopausal female hormones and very dominant male hormones. It's wonderful that they have diagnosed you and got you started on Metformin. I promise it will settle down in time the horrible metformin side effects. I noticed it got way worse if I ate white carbs, anything with fatty meat or drank alcohol...I would be in agony. The worst night I had was spagetti bol with a glass of red...that went wrong lol. But after a month to 6 weeks it really settled. My problem was that I started on them too fast though.

Best wishes with your TTC efforts, and be assured, it's definately possible to conceive with controlled PCOS.

Hi SuzL,

That's great that you have a plan, sounds like you are well and truly on top of things! I agree with the others about metformin, the side effects should settle down, mine did after about a couple of weeks and I was on the same dosage as you.

Great idea to have a holiday before TTC! We did the same thing, we went to europe for 6 weeks and it was one of the best decisions we ever made! We loved every second of it and it was great to get my mind off the whole PCOS thing.

Anyway good luck, I wish you guys all the best!

I started on 1 tablet a day for 2 weeks, then up to 2 tablets a day. I had no side effects tho? Was I just lucky?? Gosh - I didn't have to watch my food or anything!

I hope you don't have side effects for too long Suz.

Suz
    Its heartbreaking how some people can just be so rountine in saying things which are basically shattering your whole concept of yourself and your future.
    In a newbie PCOS too, although I need sneak a peak at the referral but GP has only written suspected to cover herself. I know that is it. Its a huge rollercoaster ride, where you basically go through the stages of grief on this diagnosis.
    Ive just bought the John Eden book to do some reading up before our FS appointment. I want the drugs to loose the weight, Ive tried and done everything right and can shift a little but not a lot. I guess in some ways its a huge releif as I know that its not my fault but that is a huge relief in some respects but in some irrational way of thinking, such a waste of my life when with help I could have already been different. I went through stages of hating the GPs id been too, why didnt anyone ever suggest PCOS before now. Going to stop before I turn this to a vent as well! Im here when ever you want to travel this journey together.

xoxoox

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12