Thread: PCOS?

sara_bug Guest

Default PCOS?

Hi there!

I personally believe I might have PCOS. I have got follicles on my ovaries, however when I had my last scan they were "not fitting" the full description of PCOS follicles - apparently they are not big enough, although there are multiple follicles on each ovary.

Also, I have gained a bit of weight quite quickly, have bad skin, don't ovulate (Or I haven't since May 2007 - over a year) and am very moody & can get depressed/angry very quickly. However, when I was sent for blood tests for PCOS, all my hormones came back fine.

So, is it possible to have PCOS without having the hormonal abnormalities? Does it sound like I might have it?

Ta

Sara

bj28 Guest

You sound exactly like I do and that is what they say I have. Mine was masked by the pill for many years. I had a couple of blood tests over a couple of months and the results were all over the place.

Luckily my GP (Great guy) referred me straight away to a FS/GYN. He did a scan and said my GP was right. My skin is the worst part but my weight has increased by 8 Kg in the past 9 months. It makes it a little easier knowing that there is a reason.

I would maybe go back and see the doctor.

B

sara_bug Guest

That sounds like the best idea I guess. The Gyn I saw last time actually used the phrase "freak of nature" and told me to wait it out. I have since spoken to a friend who went to her aswell, and she won't be going back either. The only confusing thing is that the results all came back perfectly normal...

sara, you can have polycystic appearing ovaries, without the actual syndrome. it's possible they might stop you from ovulating regularly

get a referal and get someone with a better attitude to give you a full work up! nothing can be deemed hormonally "normal" if they can't say what cycle day you're on - how can CD 380 have normal hormone readings??

good luck

bg

there are apparently two types - polycystic ovaries, which may or may not be accompanied by the range of symptoms, and polycysic ovarian syndrome, which is the full-blown thing. i have the multiple cysts, the facial hair, and tendency to weight gain if i don't stick to a high-protein/low carb/no sugar diet, but i can still conceive. ATM i have a 44mm cyst on my left ovary and am 10kg overweight from a m/c in February, but still i'm preggers till the BT this afternoon tells me otherwise. i got a on the 26/6 but i don't think this is a sticky one either.

alana8819 Guest

i have pcos but no cysts on the ovaries my hormone levels are crazy though and i dont ovulate, you can have poly cystic ovaries but not pcos if that makes sense. i have gained weight recently very quickly i think i have facial hair but dp disagrees (good thing i guess) get break outs a lot i am on clomid which hasnt worked so far, my advice find a new gyno you need one that will listen and take action not one that will just fob you off good luck

I would go and get a full check again of your bloods, I had the exact same thing happen to me, in the end they did a laproscopy as one dr said pcos from my bllods, but when i had them done by a gyno he said no, in the end i do have pcos, last yr i went to a better gyno i had another set of bloods done at ccertain times of the month and bingo PCOS, I have had this now for 12 years