Thread: PCOS and Ovulation

Default PCOS and Ovulation

Hi ladies,

I've got a few questions regarding PCOS. Last week i had an u/s and the guy said it "looks like" i have PCOS but it has to be confirmed. He said its a mild case on the right side. I'm fine with that. Can i still have PCOS and O? My cycles are not overly long and the last 2 cycles i've got +ve OPKs. So i was wondering what the deal is with PCOS and Oing.

I think my biggest worry is that when I go to the FS on friday she is going to say that because I O I don't have PCOS. Or because i O even with PCOS then really i just have to keep TTC without help longer than i have been.

I have to ring up the Dr today for my results, but i'm very nervous about it. (Stupid phone fear! )

Any information would be very welcome. I never really considered that I migght have PCOS.

Thanks ladies

Bron, what the ultrasound has shown is that one ovary is polycystic. This, by itself, means bugger all. Many women can have PCO, but not PCOS, and some women with PCOS don't have PCO - make sense?

To confirm PCOS you would also need to show elevated androgenic hormones - testosterone and the like.

No, another thing to remember is that many women with PCOS still ovulate, and many can conceive with no dramas at all. Some won't ovulate at all, and others will ovulate but not well and may need a bit of help.

If it's only a mild case of PCOS, them metformin may be enough to combat the insulin resistance that causes it and makes things go funny. For others, clomid is needed to make sure you get a good, strong ovulation with the right levels of hormones in order to be able to support a pregnancy. For others... well, lets just say they end up like me.

BW

BW - Thanks so much for your reply! I was so confused about it all. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

AF usually only visits me for 2 days, could that be a sign that i'm not Oing properly?

I'm not sure whether AF would be effected like that, Bron. I never ovulate and AF would usually linger around for a full 7 days anyway. I'm pretty sure that the length/heavyness of AF has very little reflection on how a woman ovulates.

BW

What else can i say that BW (the expert) hasnt already said.

Blood tests are needed to confirm it, on my u/s my left ovary is fine and my right is only slightly enlarged but as the FS said, its nothing uncommon to occur. My blolod show elevated levels of hormones which suggest PCOS. I panicked, some were say only 3 above the number it was meant to be below. The FS said dont worry about it, if it was say 3 times the number its meant to be below then it would be an issue.

According to the one chart where I have had bloods done, it appears that I have Oed. My cycles are from 31-40 days in length. Also from reading, the actual quality of the egg produced is important as well.

The FS did question me about the length of my periods, in some book, cant remember which one on infertility, they suggest that the "normal" way is to start off light, graduating to heavy and then lightning up.

I hope that makes sense