Thread: Polycystic ovaries?

Default Polycystic ovaries?

Hi all!

I've just had my first scan and visit to the AN clinic, only to be told I have polycystic ovairies again. I had them when I was 15 and they went away again, or so I found out when I was 18, but now that I'm pg, they are back with a vengence giving me awful groin pains from time to time.

There is one either side, 8cm on the right and 7.1cm on the left.

My doc said if they were less then 4cm, I'd have no troubles, but because of their current size there is an increased risk they can rupture if they don't decrease with bubby getting bigger. The doc would like to see them decrease on their own with the growth of bubby, and I [-o< they do also.

I have been told that the hormones in pg can cause them.

Has anyone else here had them?

Melissa

I have cysts curernly not that large at the moment and i am not pregnant but the pain is still there... i did not realsie that PG hormones could cause them - that is a bit of a worry... Hope that yours decrease soon and you have a healthy pregnancy..

Cass Guest

Melissa - Is it the measurements of the cysts that determines PCOS??

I am curious, its just that I have just had an U/S and have 8 (?) cysts but they have said that I dont have PCOS...

I am terribly confused

Cass Guest

Ok...

I have a crazy period - its a bit more like a contiuious bleed...
    Normally I have 20 day cycle - with upto 16 days of bleeding.

I wonder if the docs are now "grasping at straws" as to what to say that I have.... :-k

And to add to my woes - I have an allergy to progesterone 8-[ so anything that could help.... doesnt...
    And this all - has left me wondering exactly what is wrong and how do we fix this - without surgery.

Thanks anyway...

I am confused now too, lol. I was told i have polycystic ovarian syndrome. So what is that then? I was told you're born with it have it for the rest of your life, but thats about it...

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

I too had ovarian cysts, but not PCOS. Like Jillian

My cysts develop when I ovulate. The egg is released and the shell that encased it is supposed to collapse not long after. Mine didn't collapse, and instead formed a hard outer shell. This happened month after month until my ovaries were covered with them, and the pain became unbearable. I eventually had my cysts burst and drained, and had three seperate laps for this.

My period came every month like clockwork. And I was able to fall pg without trouble (back then!)

Luckily since probably about 1997, they haven't re-occured. Also, I was told that pg alleviated my problem as I don't ovulate and therefore the cysts don't form!

My mum had the same problem and eventually at 46, had a ovarian hysterectomy.

love
    sushee

Cass Guest

Sushee - can I ask - what were your periods like???

My trouble is that I (almost) consistantly bleed.... 8-[

I had cysts on my ovaries after DS was born. They were diagnosed after a u/s after I was admitted to hospital with what they thought was burst appendix! Turns out they were cysts..

I had a 7cm x 6cm one on my right ovary, and a 4cm x 5cm one on my left. By the time they were removed ten days later, the right one was 7.5cm x 7.5cm, and the left one 6cm x 5cm.

Luckily, I haven't had them since.

Best of luck with them (I don't have the syndrome either, just the cysts)

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Cass,

My periods are as regular as clockwork, and I concieved 6 times previously naturally.

I'm having problems conceiving now because I had a tubal ligation at 26, and a failed reversal at 31. Still getting regular 29 day cycles though!

love
    sushee

Default PCOS

Hello all,
    I'm new to this and not too sure how it all works. My name is Cadence. I have been TTC for 5 months. I have PCOS (the cysts as well as the syndrome). I know the syndrome can involve pain, weight gain, body hair growth and decreased fertility. I had an ultrsound a few months back and I still have several cysts on both ovaries. It is comforting to hear that others with the PCOS have been able to conceive naturally.

Hi Cadence,

Just wanted to welcome you to BellyBelly. You might also like to check out the TTC Buddies and the General Conception Discussion. I'm sure you'll find lots of info and wonderful support here on BellyBelly.

Wishing you all the best with your TTC journey.

kerryn Guest

Hi Cadence,

I only found out that I had PCOS in June 04. I have two children, so there's plenty of hope for conceiving naturally and am currently pregnant with my third. However, this time I had some help in the form of Metformin, which I was taking for about 4 months. I was pretty shocked, I had prepared myself that it may take ages or may not happen! Adjusting to the Metformin isn't easy but it was good preparation for the weeks of morning sickness. I also lost quite a bit of weight during this time because I changed to a low GI diet. Give me another couple of months and I will have it all back on!

Cheers.

KellyF Guest

Hello Ladies,

If anyone has any questions about PCOS, please visit the following website and eveything will be explained.

I have had PCOS since I was 13yo. I wasn't diagnosed until I was 24yo and I have kept it under control since.

I just needed to "run in to" the right doctor who properly diagnosed it for me.

The website is: www.posaa.asn.au

KellyF