Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Polycystic Ovary Syndrome and Type 2 Diabetes

Suzielev Guest

Default Insulin resistance and PCOS - a holistic approach.

Insulin resistance is a key factor in classic PCOS. Often if this can be controlled symptoms will reverse.

Luckily for me, Dr Kidson IS my doctor

He had me on Metformin from the start, long before we were TTC. I really don't want to get diabetes so I'm doing whatever he tells me

Girls sorry to but in but can I ask a question?
    I have PCOS, diagnosed only when needing fertility treatment. Have been tested for T2 back normal, when pregany had horrendous BSL insulin in huge amounts, Baby born marcosomic. 6 weeks Post delievery all ok again. I have been prescribed 1000mg Met and have it here, but wondered if you can take it with the pill!! Stoopid question I know that Met helps regulate cycles, but after last Met dosage I haven't had AF for 3 months. I really only want Met to see if it can help me lose alittle weight.
    Thanks

Hello everyone it is been a very long time since I've posted anything so please forgive me for being out of touch.

Kelli D, I understand exactly word for word what you went through. I too was diagnosed with PCOS after suffering with it through constant misdiagnosis after another of thyroid problems (which now my mother does suffer with), hypoglycemia and fibromyaligia.

I had GD while I was pregnant with my son. Now I was told I was "borderline" diabetic if I didn't which what I ate while I was breastfeeding my son.
    The sypmtoms I have when not taking the Metformin or Glucophage is an extreme hunger pain after I've had a full meal then eat something containing sugar. The insulin tolerance causes your natural insulin to not react and think that you have not eaten at all. That is where the struggle with weight loss begins. I manage to lose 15 pounds (I'm not sure how to covert that in metric) before I got pregnant and another 15 pounds while I was pregnant to avoid gaining weight during the pregnancy.

I have a book that really helped me with PCOS titled Living with P.C.O.S. by Angela Boss, Evelina Weidman Sterling with Richard S. Legro, M.D.

I also found it refreshing to have a Gyno who has PCOS as well. It makes me feel a whole better to know someone outside of my family understands the suffering most of go through with PCOS.

I have a question has anyone suffered with a low sex drive from having PCOS?
    Last edited by deevadoll; July 9th, 2006 at 05:07 PM.

stef Guest

Hi Can you give me the details of your Dr in edgewater as this is not far from me and I am not having a lot of joy at present

Hi everyone This PCOS thing is all new to me but the GP thinks this is what I have. Iam still waiting on test results but I have 10 small cysts in my ovaries and two larger 3.3 cm. I also have a large fibroid so my uteris is twice normal size. I am lucky because I have 2 children (teenagers now) but I need to clean up my insides somehow. The DR's are talking hysterectomy but I am not sure about this. What are the experiences of others.
    Last edited by Cherie; July 15th, 2007 at 06:15 PM.

Cass trying to get help Guest

Unhappy

hey i am 28 years old and have been trying to fall pregnant for about 6 years and am just about to give up. i have PCOS i am over weight i have insulin resistant as well i find that the medication makes me sick. i have tried to loose weight but well!!!! i have been through IVF and have embryo's sitting there but i am at a lost cause can anyone help please PLEASE I am trying very hard to be optamistic but it is hard

Cass

bang83 Guest

Hi Cass

I know how you feel about the medication making you sick. Are you on Metformin? My suggestion is to ask your doctor about Diabex XR. It is the same as Metformin but it's extended release. So you only have to take it once a day and it hasn't made me nearly as sick as the Metformin did. I was having days off work feeling like I was going to vomit, spending the day in the bathroom and just generally feeling off all the time. I've been on the Diabex for about 5 months now and have had none of those feelings at all. So its just my suggestiong that you ask if that's a possibility if you're on Metformin already. Good luck and I hope you feel better!

Jane

Hey there Jane

Have you seen results with the Diabex XR?? Did you have weight to lose??

I have just been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism, Insulin Resistance and probably PCOS (the doctor suspects this) - i have started a low gi diet and am also taking the Diabex along with Oroxine for the Thyroid issue - so am very interested to hear you feedback.

Sorry if this is a bit blunt - I'm just excited to hear of someone else on this medication

thanks

healing hands Guest

Hi Dinky

WOW babe your weight loss is amazing! I am so proud off you.
    i too had the lapband surgery in Aug 06 and have only lost 10kg's.
    how long did it take you to lose the 50kg's?
    I cant eat very much and most of the time I end up vomiting the food- lol
    I feel as though i have lost the 10kgs and that is all that will come off.
    Do you think i will lose more?
    Im insulin resistant and the testosterone was high too. They put me on Metformin
    and it seemed to have levelled everything out. Last week I had another blood test
    and my insulin was high again.........hmm wonder if that is hindering my weight loss??
    I think I may have to go back on Metformin.

has been ttc for 8 years now with no luck. This year i have decided to really concentrate on having a little baby as Im turning 32 and dont have much time left.

wishing you and your family all the joy you deserve.
    look forward to hearing from you, keep smiling

ivana

justthinking Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DiannaQ View Post
    I have just been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism, Insulin Resistance and probably PCOS (the doctor suspects this) - i have started a low gi diet and am also taking the Diabex along with Oroxine for the Thyroid issue - so am very interested to hear you feedback.

We have similar conditions - don't be discouraged, I concieved my dd at 41 despite all of these things!

I had a really crappy gynae who after 4 d&c's, laparoscopies and polyps told me I didnt have it. My doc did some hormone tests recently after I was having some issues, ultrasound and my past history combined showed I have PCOS and I was told I am already at a pre-diabetic state. I am lucky my doc picked this up now so I can make changes, its just a pity a qualified gynae who doesnt believe in PCOS couldnt diagnose this. I guess tho if you dont believe in it then its pretty darn impossible to diagnose .

Default PCOS / Diabetes / Acne

Hi everyone,
    I had to wait over 2 yrs to be offically diagnosed. After gaining huge amount of weight but still doing the same gym workout each week and eating the same foods and amounts of.

I was thrown between GP after GP and dietician and finally to the result of me jumping up and down and demanding referal I went to my gyno and he sent me for scans and Bloods and i had a diganoses.

I suggest to anyone who can to try to get to see a gyno as this is really their 'field' of experience. I had one GP tell me that my probelm was my weight not PCOS DUH!!!!

I already have type 1 diabetes so I guess I am a little different which has made conception VERY HARD.

It took a long time and would you believe it was when i almost gave up that I fell pregnant. Now i have all the triasl of perfect HBA1c's and BSLs to combat !!! ( starting to feel like a ninja!)

I got very down about myself with the weight and why my body was doing this. and then diagnosed with depression to boot !!!!!!

I do have one questions. I suffered from acne VERY badly and tried everything to clear it up but being hormonal it was hard. But i tried SK11 and believe me it has WORKED !!!. I know very expensive but you only use a tiny tiny bit so it lasts forever. Has anyone else tried this ???

I now have a little miracle and I hope it sticks.

PS I have started a Diabetic Mums Group if anyone is interested.

Wishing you all

I can say I know how hard this is....

Em

Default PCOS and TTC

Hi im 25 and have been diagnosed with PCOS 10 months ago and have also been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and started on insulin injections. We have been TTC for 6 months now and am wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation. i want to know when i should be starting to look at alternate ways such as clomid to help me to concieve. i live in a rural town with only 2 doctors that work here so i feel like ive just been left to TTC without any extra knowledge from the doctors as to how long i should be trying to conceive without interfering or doing any extra tests etc. or as i have never been pregnant before am i just worrying for no reason?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12