Thread: Primolut N & Serophene

*Rach* Guest

Default Primolut N & Serophene

Hi,
    I am just wondering if anyone else had been on these medications and how they went. My gyno pur me on these and I am sooo confused.. i am taking 2 primolut tablets for 5 days and then i will hopefully get my period and then i start on the Serophene for 5 days, on the 6th day i need to go and have an ultrasound... My gyno did not say what these tablets are for and i presumed they were to make me ovulate, which I am not at the momet, however i rang his surgery to get test results back and the women there said that the tablets were not used for that..... I am lost i don't know what is going on and i can't get on to my gyno to ask him.... i am at the stage where I have just had enough of everything... evryone around me is pregnant and i think I am ready to snap at one of them... if one more person tells me how hard it is to be pregnant, or their so fat and uncomfortable i think i will just lose it..... I am having a bad day i think........ :evil:
    Sorry if i have come across rude, blame it on the day i am having...
    Thanks Rach

Kirsty77 Guest

Hi Rach

Firstly you don't need to apologise, many of us here have been there after many many months even years of TTC, including me.

Firstly I never have been on primolut, but have been on sereophene and yes it is used to make you ovulate.I personaly would never listen to what your gyno's receptionist has to say!I'd also be questioning your gyno as to why they never explained things in full to you.It is however good that they are doing the ultrasound to monitor things for you.Hang in there, I know whats its like to have everyone falling pregnant around you, and normally by 'accident' when you yourself have been ttc for ages.I was put on clomid/serophene 50mg for 2 cycles and fell pregnant on the second cycle. Have you been diagnosed with PCOS or just not ovulating?I was diagnosed with PCOS, a mild case of it, and found that I never ovulated as my progesterone levels were barely non-exsistent!

Goodluck and theres always someone here to listen or for advice if you need it...................

Hi Rach,

That's pretty slack of your gyno to give you those tablets without thoroughly explaining what they are for, side effects, etc!!

I haven't taken primolut, but I believe it's to bring on your period. And yes, the serophene is to make you ovulate. I took serophene to conceive my little boy. Has your gyno done any tests to see why you might be having trouble conceiving?

Wishing you lots of luck. I really hope you get your BFP very soon.

Take care.

*Rach* Guest

Thanks for your help girls, It really helps.
    I have PCOS and am not ovulating, i don't get my periods, nothing... except weight and pimples...
    I am just stressed out, i read all these people that have gone through all this and then miscarriage, i don't think i could deal with that.
    I am just having one of those "why me days"... its just not fair.

Big Rach. Have you thought about maybe joining in the TTC or LT TTC & Assisted Conception threads? It can really help to have people with whom to share your journey with.

All the best.

Rach,
    I have been on both.
    Primulut is used to bring on a bleed, without having to ovulate. It is like the morning after pill in smaller doses. Removes all the old lining to allow the clomid to work more effectively on a new endometriumn(lining)
    Clomid is used to wake up the ovaries it promotes follicle growth and usually taken by people that have trouble ovulating. Although it also can promote more folicles on your ovaries rather than just the one or two that is produced during a "normal womens" cycle.
    After you go back for a scan..the doctor will let you know if it is "safe" or need to increase your dosagecto bring up the dominant folicle. Safe is when there is no more than 2-3 dominant folicle as then you may risk a high multiple preg. You either then recieve FSH pee ticks to get ovulation day then either bd or IUI.
    Anymore questions always happy to help.
    As Angel said there are very well informed people in TTC and LTTTC that are always happy to answer anything. Hope your day has improved
    Bec

I believe the primulot is a progesterone (P4) hormone tablet, by taking it for a few days and then stoppping, it effectively drops your P4 levels which brings on your period.

Serophene is also known as clomid. Generally it is taken for 5 days from CD2 or CD3. It turns off your pituitary gland for the 5 days when you stop taking it the gland turns on and says "boy I better get producing follicles" so it effectively promotes follicles and thus ovulation. The scan would be prescribed to monitor the follie growth and BTs would be prescribed to monitor oestrogen (E2) and lutinising hormone (LH) - the E2 is for endometrium lining thickening in the follicular phase of your cylce (also indicating growth of follies) and the LH is for detecting the LH surge indicating ovulation.

rach - hang in there - it really does work for some people - and i am hoping that i am one of them this round - come join us in the

TTC taking clomid thread - we are all going through such similar experiences it is nice to share your fears and concerns with others

Personally i think its terrible that your DR did not explain things very well for you...