Thread: private hospital costs

Default private hospital costs

I'm sorry if this is a repeat question but i couldn't see it in the forum.
    I was just wondering if anyone has gone through a private surgeon in a pub hospital to have their endometriosis removed, but haven't had private health cover.?
    Was wondering what the cost would be for eg: initial consultation, laproscopy surgery.? can you just ring the hospital and ask?
    I want to join private health cover but i think you have to wait like 12 months till you can have surgery, and i can't wait another yr to get this sorted out, and it's taking too long in the public system.
    Hope someone can give me a rough estimate. thank-you

Bou, I don't know about the private surgeon in a public hospital, but I can tell you how much it cost us roughly for my lap at the mater in rocky. (Have just got home from brissie and will get my diary out for you tomorrow to confirm prices)

Surgeon was $572.30 - this included the follow up visit to him a couple of days later. Also had to pay a booking fee of $200, of which none was claimable from medicare. My initial consultation with him was $180 also.

Anaethetist was $626.40 that's with a 10% discount for paying early.

Surgeon had someone helping out, another $99.13

Now, mater bed fee and theatre fees for the day stay was $1014.

Pathology was $146.70

Sorry I can't answer your original question. Maybe ring some surgeons or maybe your GP would be able to help you out?
    eta: Bou, I just edited the prices and put the correct amounts in for you

Nic
    Last edited by nic; October 20th, 2007 at 10:14 AM.

thanks nic,
    thats a great help. gives me a idea at costs i'm up for..
    bo