Thread: A question for those with PCOS and pregnant

Red face A question for those with PCOS and pregnant

When you have pcos I am aware that there is a greater risk of miscarraige, but I am wondering is there an increased risk of preterm labour?
    Also do you tend to get more tired than normal? and is this likely to keep happening after birth? and did you have problems breast feeding?

I had issues with DD breast feeding but didnt know that I had pcos at the time and had her 3 weeks early.

Being pregnant at the moment just tends to bring up a lot of questions that I hadnt thought of before. All help would be greatly appreciated.

Love

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Sorry I can't help about PCOS and premature labour ? but when I told the Lactation consultant I was IVF - she straight away asked did I have PCOS ? - I said no ... she said good you shouldn't have any problems then.

I have since read a few other ladies on another forum who have IVF babies because of PCOS and they had/have problesm establishing BF. Maybe you could ask Fiona ... about BF questions related to PCOS

Hi Helen,
    I'm not pregnant now but was 1 year ago. My first pregnancy I experienced alot of bleeding, my second pregnancy I took progesterone pessaries as they say there is a link of low progesterone with PCOS and had no bleeding. These first 2 pregnancys ended up PPROM at 17 and 20 weeks. The first one was inconclusive due to the repeat bleeding and the chance that the membrane wall had weakened but the second one was text book incomp cervix. A few of my friends have also experienced this link to PTL.
    My third pregnacy I took progesterone from day 1 of implantion (IVF) till 13 weeks. I had my cervix stitched and carried to 37 weeks where I had an elect c-sect. I also had GD which made missy rather large.
    I regained all my energy back whilst in hospital and really havent had any extra other than the usual sleep deprived nights. My milk never came in with Eliza even taking suppliements to increase supply but I did have a large loss of blood during surgery requiring transfusions so I am sure this is the reason...and the prev pregnancy I had milk supply for weeks.
    I wish you well in your pregnancy
    Bec

Helen

I am not PG atm but I have had 3 DD's and found out that I had PCOS in 1995. My first DD was pre PCOS but she was born early and wouldnt BF at all. 2nd DD was post PCOS, no issues there, also early but she was going to be a big one, I didnt even try to BF her.

It took me almost 9 yrs to successfully maintain a PG. I had way too many m/c's and eventually changed OB's for a different perspective. I ended up on progesterone pessaries from mid cycle, just in case. I ended up with PROM at 36w, but there was no real reason for this but I did develop GD as well, so that supposedly had something to do with it. Hayley didnt BF well, but that was because she was a premmie. I wasnt overly extra tired or anything.

Thanks guys. So the BF sounds like a hit or miss. With DD I did suplement feeds with formula and had a tube attatched to my breast for a week to encorouge the milk supply to keep coming,(feeding DD formula when she sucked on my breast) so that DD still got to eat. I am hoping this time that I will be able to fully breastfeed, I had the milk last time but it must have not been nutritous as she didnt put on weight(hence the formula top up).
    As far as having the baby early, from the sounds of your stories it does sound possible, but not exceptionally early, which is good.
    Many thanks for all your help. Will update in this forum after I have baby to let you all know how everything goes/went.

Love

Kirsty77 Guest

I'm pregnant and have PCOS and went one week overdue before they induced me.So no probs there, but I did have a problem with my milk supply and ended up putting Gemma on formula quite early on.But I also had a c/s so they say that could be realated to.It really is hit and miss with b/f.

I have a lactation consultant friend who told me when I was pregnant that she had seen an anecdotal link between difficulty breastfeeding and PCOS but this was challenged within the profession so it is still inconclusive. However, if she knows her potential clients have PCOS she encourages breast stimulation through use of a breast pump from about 36weeks. There is little chance of bringing on premature labour through nipple stimulation (and the baby is considered *full term* from 37 weeks) and it seems to encourage breast milk production. The expressed colostrum can be frozen for use in the early days post delivery or discarded.

Just waiting to get to the end product of a pregnancy to see if there are any problems for me personally but I had lots of milk production post delivery of Caitlyn so *fingers crossed* for a pregnancy soon so I can find out!!

Apparently I am polycystic and have a few of the symptoms but have had 2 pregnancies go 2 weeks overdue and breast fed with no complications for 9 months each. Perhaps it's different for women with stronger symptoms but for me I've never had any problems.

Sal Guest

Hi there, I have PCOS, had one successful pg which went full-term. I have never heard of or read about a link between PCOS and preterm labour. Yes to higher risk of m/c, but now you are home and hosed! I ended up not being able to B/F my son but it was because of him not me (he wouldn't take the nipple). I have also never heard of a link with PCOS and B/F difficulty, can't imagine why there would be one, after all B/F happens due to hormone prolactin, which is not implicated or affected by PCOS. Try not to worry!