Thread: Recovery from laparoscopy

Default Recovery from laparoscopy & TTC after surgery

Hey all...
    I'm just recently recovering from a laparoscopy to remove my endo.. they also did a D&C. This is my 1st time having this surgery and I'm healing quite quickly, I was just wondering for any advice on how long the journey took to conceive after surgery?

Last edited by FioNa25; May 23rd, 2009 at 11:23 PM. Reason: adding more information

Hi Fiona

im having what you had done next week. im very scared about it. they said it would take 3-4 hours. Did your doc say you should be able to concieve naturally? I hope i can, i dont want to do ivf

Bel83 Guest

Fiona the only advice I can give is based on research & personal experience. I would hold off on trying to conceive for at least a month or even two Alot has gone on and your body needs time to heal and recover properly. My endo returned after 2-months Good luck with your healing & conceiving

It's some thing you really need to talk about with your gyno as you may need to be medicated for a little while after to get your endo into a remission of sorts as the less endo there is, the better chance you have of conceiving without extra help. Also depending on the results from the dye study it may not be possible to TTC yet, and also depending on how much endo they removed you may need to wait till any healing is complete - especially if there was any removed from the inside of your uterus etc as it won't be a conducive environment for a sticky emby kwim? You have to see your gyno again in about 6-8wks for a post-op appointment I assume? Take the next coupld of weeks to let everything settle down and then go from there. It's great that you are having an easy recovery.

From my own personal experience though, I had my first one done in 99, went on medication for 6mths (duphaston) and then fell pg accidentally the first month I was off it. getting pg has never been difficult (1 surprise pg and 3 conceived in the first month of trying) and the endo only came back after the birth of my 4th baby, so I had another lap done in December last year. In that time though between the first and the second one, they found some scarring and adhesions on my bowel and on the ovaries, also some adenoymosis inside my uterus (where the endo grows through the wall of smooth muscle tissue and you could clearly see this on the pics - the inside of my uterus had all these pink splotches. The treatment for me post op this time was to have a Mirena IUD inserted to stop me having a peiod, therefore no bleeding, but it hasn't agreed with me and I have to have it surgically removed this Friday as it has moved completely inside the uterus.

Hi I had the same procedure as Fiona on Tuesday. I think my recovery is going well, only I am a little concerned because my wound is still slightly bleeding, I was just wondering if that is normal? Also do you know how long should it take for the bloating to ease?

Thanks

Hi Everyone,
    I had a laparoscopy in 2001 after 2 unsuccessful IVF attempts where quite a bit of endo was removed and was told that it could possibly come back within two years. I don't remember how long I had to wait to do another cycle but we ended up having another 3 cycles before I fell pregnant naturally in 2003 having not had to have another laparoscopy. In 2007 I fell pregnant with my DD (using embryos we had frozen from before I fell pregnant with my DS). As far as I am aware my endo never came back. My wound never bled but it took about a week for the bloating to ease.
    I hope this is of some help. I wish all of you the best.

I can't remember how long it took the bloating to settle after th first one but it did take a while after the second one - probably near 2 weeks to fully go away. If you still have a wound that is bleeding a little bit, just keep an eye on it for infection etc and mke sure that it is covered with a clean dressing. It may not hurt to ask your gyno about it.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I actually went to the after hours GP on Saturday as I was quite concerned. I found out that I did have an infection so they have put me on antibiotics. I thought maybe it was something I had done but she said it can be quite common and would of most likely occured in hospital! Because I had never had it done before I thought it was normal, I seem to be on the mends now but am glad I went to the GP on Saturday.
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by toby View Post
    Hi Fiona

im having what you had done next week. im very scared about it. they said it would take 3-4 hours. Did your doc say you should be able to concieve naturally? I hope i can, i dont want to do ivf
    Hi Toby, dont be scared if u have a good dr there is nothing to worry about. I think my op took about 1hr & yes the chance of conceiving naturally was hopeful straight after surgey. Goodluck let me know how u go