Thread: Removing an ovary???

Default Removing an ovary???

Has anyone had to have an ovary removed due to it being enlarged from PCOS?

I ask because my sister has been told that it is likely they will have to remove one of her ovaries because it is quite enlarged. She has just be diagnosed with PCOS & endo.

Hi Sarah,
    My SIL's sister is having surgery next week for a similar thing, although she has a rather large cyst or mass on the ovary. She has just had a baby and they wanted to operate when she was pregnant and she said no. Apparently the ovary isn't funtioning due to the large cyst on it all it does it absorb the follicle when it is produced making it rather large. I think they told her that removing it was the best option. I'll ask her today.
    I had ovarian drilling done to mine to poke holes to allow the follicles to release, hope she gets some answers it is a big decision.
    Bec

I've never heard of that being due to PCOS. Does she have a cyst on the ovary as well (PCOS cysts are a bit different to regular cysts)

Gosh, I hope I don't get that :shock:

Sarah,
    I haven't forgotton she had hers taken out today, I'm waiting to hear what the doctors had to say!
    I'll post tomorrow
    Bec

I hope everything went ok with your SIL Bec.

My sister has since found out that she will not have to have an ovary removed - this was by a different gyno, so hopefully the other one was just being over catious or something.

Gosh - that seems quite serious. I'm glad she got a second opinion Sarah.

Bec - I hope everything goes smoothly for your SIL.

I only just saw this Sarah.

My mum had 1/2 an ovary removed before falling PG with me then after she had my brother had the whole other one removed. She only has 1/2 an ovary.
    This was due to cysts but back then I don't think the term PCOS existed so she doesn't call it that.