thread: 4 minute shower....do you?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Registered User

    Jan 2007
    where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night
    2,794


    These days I only shower every second day and have a longer shower!
    :yeahthat:

  2. #2
    Registered User

    Mar 2008
    Nth West Melbourne
    997

    Go you cape wearing shower heros! A couple of you mentioned not using hot water in spring/summer. Wow, is all I can say. I still steam up the bathroom in summer and have my electric blanket on 90% of the year.

    Astrid, just out of interest, how is gray water going to cause a soil disaster?

  3. #3
    Registered User

    Jul 2006
    Melbourne
    3,715

    Yeah, but Amber, did you see where those cold-shower people live??? Not in Melbourne!!!!! I don't think anyone living here would routinely shower in cold water, only on our really hot days.

    Pony!

    We are both really bad at short showers . When I'm not washing my hair and/or shaving, then I can manage a quick one, easy. But I have to wash my hair three times a week, and it's so thick it takes FOREVER! I try not to dawdle though. And DH gets so filthy at work some days, it takes him ages to scrub it all off. So we're not standing there doing nothing (I wish! Can't do that anymore without feeling guilty) but we're not having four minute showers either. It doesn't help that DH works in an industry where he is required to flush thousands of litres of drinking water down the drain every day. So he is of the opinion that the government needs to do more than guilt the nation into stopping their taps from leaking .

  4. #4
    Registered User

    Aug 2008
    Ouiinslano
    5,303

    Go you cape wearing shower heros! A couple of you mentioned not using hot water in spring/summer. Wow, is all I can say. I still steam up the bathroom in summer and have my electric blanket on 90% of the year.
    We don't live in Melbourne anymore, that's how. One of the trade-offs, I guess. You give up living in a bicycle friendly city to live in a cold-water friendly city. From Dec-Jan our cold water runs at about 30 degrees.

  5. #5
    Registered User

    Jun 2008
    946

    I live in Melbourne.
    We have one of those timer clocks on the shower wall - cept its flat batteries right now...

    I have tried but 4 minutes is not enough for washing my hair and shaving and everything else. I have started having a bath once a week to do a really good soak, scrub and shave. Other days I shower and only tend to wash my hair twice a week - though it really needs to be three times. My legs just stay hairier than Id like.

  6. #6
    Moderator

    Oct 2004
    In my Zombie proof fortress.
    6,449

    Astrid, just out of interest, how is gray water going to cause a soil disaster?
    Grey water contains bacteria, so short term is should not be used on any edible crop, in particular plants like lettuce. Well there are some that can tolerate it, but you would need to keep those separate. Washing powders have a salt based filler, so you could be loading your soil up with salt, salt can kill plants and if you are on top of a water table, the salt will work its way through. Chemicals in detergents can change the PH level of the soil and some plants will just not survive it. Chemicals can also build up and kill off the good stuff in the soil, like worms. It is preferable if using grey water to not always water the one spot and preferably use some fresh water in between. Also to be concious of any run off onto someone else's property.