Thread: Weight Watchers & Nestle

Default Weight Watchers & Nestle

I started weight watchers (WW) in July 2010, it is working really well for me and so far I have lost 4.5kg! Great news as I am hoping to lose about 30kg all up and improve my PCOS and insulin resistance by improving my weight. I have tried other methods and failed and I was so glad when WW started working. I notice the improvements WW is making in all areas of my life.

But I started to feel all icky the other day when I was reading the material they give you... it would seem that WW has some sort of sponsorship/advertising deal with Nestle. I have been on a self imposed Nestle ban/boycott for some time and I have made conscious efforts to avoid them and their subsidiaries/affiliates. I do not know how I missed this. I saw a few adverts for the Nestle Diet Yoghurt and thought not much of it - I just thought it was a one off ad... but other WW documents (like the journal) are plastered with Nestle ads and I think I can recall seeing - sponsored by Nestle or something similar.

I feel like a hypocrite if I continue with WW now that I know about the Nestle stuff but I need the support of the meetings etc and you can only go to them if you are a paid member but I also detest paying them knowing about the affiliation.

Argh!!!

I feel like I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I love my WW, but I don't think it compromises ethics if you continue to use the program. The beauty of WW is that you get to choose what products you eat, so even though they may have a deal with Nestle, it doesn't mean that you have to buy the 'recommended' Nestle products. It would just bug me to look at all the advertising for them. But if you felt that strongly about the fact that WW has clearly taken Nestle's money in return for advertising and recommending their product, then perhaps stop? You can still use the WW program in principal without paying WW for it.

True Trillian - I haven't bought any of the nestle products and it does bug me to see the adverts LOL. It is great that with WW we can choose what we eat.

One glimmer of hope is that once I am a lifetime member I won't have to pay and I know that will take away the icky feeling and hey it might even help me to get to my goal weight quicker. I can see me sprouting off at meetings about what motivates me "I am motivated so that I can achieve lifetime membership and no longer have to pay which means that none of my money will be going to Nestle"

I don't think that buy purchasing WW that any money goes to Nestle, I would assume that they are the ones paying WW. I wonder if there is info anywhere to find out more?

I haven't been able to find any... though what you say makes sense. nestle would be paying WW for the advertising space etc. I have been sitting on this thread for a few days now trying to find out what I can but to be honest I haven't had much luck (or time).

I will keep looking and post what I find.

Ah-HA! I found something interesting - Nestle are the parent company that owns Jenny Craig, so I'm thinking that buy buying advertising in WW products they are effectively hedging their bets in the weight loss war LOL. Also found an article about WW suing Nestle for misusing their logo and points systems.

NEW YORK, Sept 16 (Reuters) - Weight Watchers International Inc (WTW.N) on Wednesday sued Nestle AG (NESN.VX), accusing the Swiss-based food company of illegally using its name to promote low-fat frozen dinners and ice cream.
    According to a lawsuit filed in Manhattan federal court, Nestle is without permission displaying trademarks for Weight Watchers and its "Points" weight loss system on packaging for its Stouffer's Lean Cuisine products, including frozen pizzas and flatbreads, and its Skinny Cow diet ice cream products.
    Weight Watchers said the displays are intended to take advantage of its "goodwill and high reputation among consumers" in the field of weight control, which the New York-based company said it has "painstakingly built" over 46 years.
    It also said the displays could confuse consumers into believing Weight Watchers produced or endorsed consumption of Nestle products, some of which compete with its own.
    Though well-known for chocolate products, Nestle is also the parent of Jenny Craig Inc, a major Weight Watchers rival. Nestle bought Jenny Craig in 2006 for about $600 million.
    Nestle did not immediately return calls seeking comment. The company has U.S. operations in Glendale, California.
    Weight Watchers is seeking remedies including restitution of improper profits, triple damages, punitive damages, and a halt to misuse of the trademarks.
    Shares of Weight Watchers closed Wednesday up 28 cents, or 1.1 percent, at $26.29 on the New York Stock Exchange.
    The case is Weight Watchers International Inc v. Nestle USA Inc, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York (Manhattan), No. 09-7964. (Additional reporting by Aarthi Sivaraman in Seattle; Editing by Gary Hill)

Mmm that is interesting. I do recall seeing something about that in my google searches but didn't click on them - thanks for quoting it Trill... LOL I am so lazy to read links.

I think I might to WW head office and see where that gets me.

None of the money you pay to WW (either for meetings or meeting products) goes to nestle.
    WW does have a joint venture with nestle - this involves WW endorsing many products sold by nestle in the supermarkets. They are nestle products. If you don't want to support nestle, simply don't buy nestle products. there are other companies WW do joint ventures with as well, such as muffin break. In NZ WW also have a joint venture with MacDonalds, where certain meals are endorsed by WW. Have a look at the packaging of anything you buy, anything labelled nestle is nestle, if it is simply labeled WW with no nestle label, then it is not nestle and no portion of the profit is going to nestle. Because of this joint venture and endorsement deal you will find many adverts in WW publications.
    Last edited by misty; August 22nd, 2010 at 06:53 AM.

Not sure where you got that article from, but that must be an american issue. Because in Australia there is definitely a joint venture in place with nestle.

It seems odd to me that Nestle & WW would have an agreement in Aus but in US they are competitors because of Nestle owning Jenny Craig...

Argh all this combined with the election... my head hurts LOL

TK - doesn't make sense to me either. But I know that WW and Nestle DO have a joint venture agreement here in Australia. I have been told this as an employee of WW. Like I said, I don't know where that article was pulled from, whether it is real or how old it might be.

Quote Originally Posted by misty View Post
    TK - doesn't make sense to me either. But I know that WW and Nestle DO have a joint venture agreement here in Australia. I have been told this as an employee of WW. Like I said, I don't know where that article was pulled from, whether it is real or how old it might be.
    So you're saying I pulled it out of my bum and made it up? I got the article from here Weight Watchers sues Nestle for misusing its logo | Reuters If you google 'nestle and weight watchers' loads of links come up about this. It only happened in September last year, so not that long ago. You sound pretty defensive about it though. TK was just wondering if it wold compromise her ethical stance against Nestle. The article I posted was merely a point of interest.

Trill - thank you for that article, it was an interesting read over breakie this morning.

Makes me wonder... I would have thought that WW US would have something to say about WW AUS having agreements with Nestle given all the stuff going on in the US!

TK, maybe they are run as separate entities?

Quote Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
    So you're saying I pulled it out of my bum and made it up? I got the article from here Weight Watchers sues Nestle for misusing its logo | Reuters If you google 'nestle and weight watchers' loads of links come up about this. It only happened in September last year, so not that long ago. You sound pretty defensive about it though. TK was just wondering if it wold compromise her ethical stance against Nestle. The article I posted was merely a point of interest.
    I am sorry my 'tone' doesn't seem to be being conveyed properly. I am not defensive, I am just not aware or knowledgable of the article or the legal issue being discussed. I wasn't suggesting that you 'pulled it out of your bum'. I however had no inkling as to where it came from, and all information provided on the interent should, in my opinion, not be taken as gospel without knowing the source and / or accuracy of the information. I too think it is interesting, I would actually like to know more, especially as I know it contradicts the relationship shared by nestle and WW in Australia. I do not have much knowledge of WW and it's relationships with other companies outside of Australia, and certainly do not know enough about the case to comment as to its validity.

I certainly understand and support TK's reasons behind not wanting to support Nestle. I know other members who have the same concerns. I merely wanted to point out, that here (in AUSTRALIA) the only way nestle would profit from a WW member is if that member chooses to purchase Nestle products.

That's OK Misty, no harm done