Thread: 4yo "How did the baby get in there?"

Default 4yo "How did the baby get in there?"

OK. DF has told his 4 year old daughter that I'm pregnant. She's had a few days to think about it, and having seen the ultrasound footage she now believes there's really a baby in there. She's only just realised she's going to be a big sister.

There have been a number of questions but this one stumped me.

"How did the baby get in there?" I don't know why but I just wasn't expecting this question and I didn't know what to say. I have to be careful what I say as I don't want DF's ex getting angry that I've given her too much information. I pretty much avoided answering it.

Any ideas on what I could say next time this question is asked (as I'm sure it will be) without ruffling anyone's feathers?

I told my 4 yrs old that we just gave each other a special kiss that only a mummmy and daddy can give to each other...she was happy with that

told my 7yrs old that mummys and daddys fit together like a puzzle when we want to have a baby he got the idea

the next question you will get is how does the baby come out?

Thanks tali - I tried the special hug story - but she just looked at me like she wanted to ask more. I like the idea of the puzzle. Might use that if I get asked again.

She asked me the other day if babies come out of the bottom as she's seen some birth shows (ones that don't actually show anything) and she thought that's where they come out from. I just said, no they come out of the front bottom (as she knows that particular region). She seemed happy with that explaination.

Can't wait to see what the next question is.

When my almost 4 DD asked me how the baby got in there I just said DP helped put it in there and she was fine with that.
    On reflection I am lucky she didn't ask me for any specifics lol.
    The other day I was asked about how the baby was going to come out. She asked me If it was going to come out of my mouth. I said no.
    So she thought a bit more and then asked if it was going to come out of my bottom. I said no. So she thought a bit more and asked if it was going to come out from between my legs and I said yep.
    She was happy with that and was good to see her figure it out for herself.
    I find if I answer honestly with out giving graphic detail then she is happy with the answer and I haven't given her some ridiculous explanation that she will undoubtedly repeat to some random stranger in the shops or my conservative grandmother.

I have also been informed by DD that she is carrying a baby Zebra in her belly which can move from her belly to her elbow depending on when I ask her lol.
    She is very cute with what she comes up with sometimes.

I had a giggle with DP and said I should once I have the bubs put a toy Zebra in her bed and see what her reaction is, but that might be manifesting ideas best left alone lol
    Still would be funny, I'm a cruel mumma hehehe

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

My 5 & 6 year old nieces asked me how my bub is going to come out. Silly me said the same way it got in there, then they asked how it got in there. Thankfully they are not my kids so I could just say to ask mum and dad that.

They know that there will be lots of pushing and pain involved in getting it out but they don't know much else.

I got books out of the library when my then 7yr old asked. I let my 4yr old have a look too.. I skipped a few pages as I felt my kids weren't ready...

Awww thats just so cute, I had to laugh. I obviously havent encountered this question (yet!) but I like what others have mentioned about the mummy and daddy special kiss/hug.

My very inquisitive 4 year old asked .... and I was caught on the back foot ...... so I said - "How do you think the baby got in Mummy's tummy"

....and he said "Well, when you and Daddy are in bed asleep, cuddling, the baby crawled in there".

I told him that was pretty close - and he was happy. I have found that when my children ask the tough questions, it's pertinent to ask a question back at them.

Quote Originally Posted by tali View Post
    I told my 4 yrs old that we just gave each other a special kiss that only a mummmy and daddy can give to each other...she was happy with that

told my 7yrs old that mummys and daddys fit together like a puzzle when we want to have a baby he got the idea

the next question you will get is how does the baby come out?
    Those were the two things I was going to suggest. I've heard "special hugs" suggested as well.

I just told my kids the truth using the correct names for things and left it at that. If they asked questions (which happened quite a lot later) I answered them as truthfully as I could. I have also let them know that it's something that's ok to talk about at home, but not around anyone else.

My mother disapproves, but I think it's important for children to have an understanding of the natural process of creation.

For children who are just too young to understand the basics, I'd just say that the daddy plants a special seed in the mummy's tummy that grows into a baby. If they sask how they plant the seed, I'd tell them it is when they have a very special cuddle.

For older children, you might add the detail that sometimes during special cuddles, daddies put their penis in the mummy's vagina, and that is how they plant the seed.

Molly (who is 3) already knows that baby's come out of the mummy's fanny, and it hurts a bit, but then its better. And yes, she has an imaginary baby brother that seems to crawl into and out of the womb, depending on what mood she is in...