Thread: Anyone buy 3yr old bras??

Default Anyone buy 3yr old bras??

Hi all,
    My 3yr old daughter is obsessed with clothes and will change 10 times a day and only wears what she wants to wear. I am not interested in clothes at all but she loves them. She got so excited the other day when we went shopping for new undies!!! They had to have fairies on them and then she saw the ones with matching bras and threw a wobbly because I would not buy one for her.
    Now maybe I am an old fashioned prude, but I refuse to buy a bra for a 3year old. She will grow up soon enough and I believe it is just sexualizing (is that the right word??) a young child. I have seen stuff on TV that is very critical of this trend to turn very little children into adults. But someone must be buying this stuff as they keep making it.
    Does anyone buy it? I am not having a go at anyone, as everyone has the right to do what they want but I just wondered.

Anney,
    My SIL suggested that her daughter wanted some for christmas. So I bought them, silly me!
    Bec
    *Anyone buys them for Eliza I will be asking for the reciept to exchange them for something more apropriate
    Bec

DH's ex used to buy them for my stepdaughters and I think they are too much!!! I refuse to let DD wear them. There is enough time when they do need them later

Not going to happen! You are not old fashioned at all! I let Paris play with makeup but its to *play* with definitley NOT to wear out. And I feel the same with bra's. Its not necessary, its bad enough they are playing with toys now that we played with when we were 6 yrs older, but bras are a bit much, I thought they were meant for their functionality not their fashionality LOL!

*hugs*
    Cailin

No, I don't think you're old fashioned at all - I don't see any point in buying a bra for a little girl that won't need one for years.. I've never really paid attention to girls clothes until earlier this week when I had to buy an eid present for a friend's 18 month daughter. Maybe I was just in the wrong shop but it seemed to me that most of the clothes designed for little girls were either impractical (too frilly and lacy to run about and play in) or MTV (tight, stretchy and a bit too grown up for my taste). Finding something that was nice and girly yet also comfy and practical was a bit of a task.

angelfish Guest

I can't stand any sort of "sexy" clothes for little girls. Some of the stuff in the shops looks like a prostitute's outfit :fuming:
    I believe kids clothes should be practical and comfortable. If you want something frilly and "girly" for special occasions, no problem, but bras? That's just clothing manufacturers exploiting kids to make more money. My daughter will have a bra when she has something to put in it. Maybe if she's a late developer I'll let her have one when she's in high school and all her friends have breasts. But at 3 she'll still be wearing her brother's hand me downs.

Hi - best and less have matching undies and crop top for little girls with monkeys and penguins and cherries and things on them. They look like her barbie bathers but softer.

She wears them as jammies if its hot and I let her. She's four now, but has had these since she was about two.

Barb.

Anney,

No you are not old fashioned. I agree with you 100 percent. Some of the stuff for little girls is just plain tarty for want of a better word.

Their childhood is short enough as it is.

Mel

I have noticed at shops like Target, Kmart etc that their little girls clothes are just basically miniature versions of the women's clothes - so lately its been all peasant tops and skirts, or those little tiny mini skirts that just cover your [email protected]# or bright tracksuits that have innappropriate slogans on them like "Boys make good pets" or something stupid like that. Grace will not be wearing anything like that ever, I hope.

Bon

I started buying crop-top style ones for my DD when she was about 9. They were plain white, functional and she wore them with tops that she was concerned were too "see through". She is a modest girl and I think realised that when she raised her arms her privacy was compromised (via sleeveless top arm holes). She had asked me for the more patterned ones when she was younger but i refused. Just couldn't justify the expense, plus I agree they are totally unneccessary for the very young.

Also she does modelling and once she was asked to change with other girls (I was there) and felt a bit shy about that too so now she wears one to every job "just in case".

I agree; don't support exploitation of this nature and once your child is old enough make sure they are aware of the symbolism of "fashion".

Glad I'm not alone on this. I wont even put a two piece swimsuit on the girls, because the tops ride up all the time because there's nothing to hold it down. I also think Target and Kmart sell clothes that are too 'old' for little girls. Most of the stuff I get for the girls comes from Myer or specialty clothes shops (for their good clothes anyway) as their styles are alot better suited to the age groups. I don't even like the knee high boots because when we were in school, only the skanks used to wear them - now everybody does. Kids grow up quick enough these days without having to look grown up too.

Yes! I also agree that Target anf Kmart sell styles too "old" for young girls. Myer and David Jones are much better for appropriate styles that don't scream "bimbo!" Also for boys: I find a lot of clothing is "ruined" by inappropriate logos or designs that you'd see your local gangsta wearing!

Oh, don't get me started on the boys clothes - which are hard enough to buy nice ones anyway without having logos and stuff all over them. Again Myer comes to the rescue! They are the only place I buy Lindsay's jeans from as they fit nicer and are not baggy.

Yes, right again girls. Some of the boy's clothes aren't appropriate either. The very least you can say about them is that they are not revealing!

Melinda Guest

I don't think you're being a prude either, Anney.

Whilst I don't have a daughter, I do frequent the baby/children's clothing aisles for Jacob LOL and I can honestly say that should I ever have a daughter, there is a hell of a lot of stuff that she would NEVER be wearing. The clothing just seems to be more appropriate for children at least 10 years older!!! It's sad that the clothing designed for babies/children these days is aimed at making them look a lot older than they actually are - they are only little for such a short time.

I too find a lot of the boys clothing to be OTT. Why is it that the boys clothing always has "I'm a little monster" and the girls clothing has "I'm a little princess" kind of thing. And yes, a lot of boys clothing has ridiculous slogans or prints on them and why do 90% of the boys clothing have to be about surfing, trucks or cars?!?! I much prefer the clothing that has animals and that kind of thing on it.....something that Jacob relates a lot more too IYKWIM, and is a bit more age appropriate. Thankfully I've just seen a few things lately in K-mart and Target etc that have animals on them (dogs and even a moose! LOL)