Thread: Defence Force Families #2

Default Defence Force Families #2

Chatter thread for defence force families!

Continuing from HERE

Hey Everyone,
    I havent ever seen this thread, although it doesnt seem to get much traffic...... Just a Q, has anyone been posted to Rankwick, its almost definate we are going there next year and im starting to worry about the housing situation.... Im hearing horror stories of people who need DHA houses getting given houses in the western suburbs ( less than 15km but would probably be a 1.5hr commute) and then they get refused RA when they try to turn it down. Is they much in the way of accom in the city? We have 3 pets so electing RA wouldnt really work in the sydney rental market..... DF is a CAPT, so im not sure if the housing situation varies with rank?

TIA

Hi Caz. DH and I moved from Sydney to Melbourne last year but we were in a DHA house in Bexley which was great for both of us. Dh rang DHA and talked to them about our options as I was working in Stanmore and it was way to far for me to commute from Holsworthy. They were pretty helpful. There is some accommodation in the city near Randwick base and some on the North side of the Harbour so you may get lucky. Your husband's rank should help open up more options for you. The only drama with being closer to the city may be the yard size.

We really like Sydney, but we have lots of family there so that helps. Melbourne is good also although I am a little sick of the Melbourne winter. What I wouldn't give for a beautiful Sydney summers day and lunch time walk around the Harbour *sigh*

We are posted to Townsville but my father is posted to Randwick and commutes to work, used to do it by train and bus which wasnt bad and now drives from Holsworthy. It doesnt take him too long. But being a CAPT you should get better housing opportunities and just try your best to work with DHA on the best housing solution for you. I havent had good dealings with Sydney DHA so I cant tell you how well it will go.

Good luck!!!

Am so frustrated. Still waiting on our posting to come through. Makes planning for school next year very hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chocoholic - i hope the orders come out soon! very frustrating waiting isnt it!

thats strange Choc, we have had ours since the start of July, and I thought they were meant to be out by the end of July?
    We thought we had an amazing house lined up, nice big semi detached with a good sized yard in Chifley...... heard another girl was leaving so we rang up DHA to reserve it but its been taken out of the housing pool for contract renegotiation Soo..... hanging out and waiting again..... Not sure if we are going to be able to start TTC...... I've found out that Royal Womens Birth Centre wont take referrals without a fixed address even though we offered to provide them with a copy of our posting order to Randwick
    MelbourneMumma, I figure they have houses they arent putting up on homefind...... Also ive been told that alot of the RB2 houses in that area (the ones with yards) are RB2 because they have more room (ie 4 bedrooms) but we are only entitled to a 3 bed, so that might be limiting what we see too. I know its early on in the game yet but I want to get the address sorted so that we can start TTC without any worries.
    I also would like them to stop putting up gorgeous apartments of our homefind that specify no pets! Its really just teasing us because we have already told them we have pets and need a yard lol. Im sooo excited for sydney, I was there for 6 months a few years ago and absolutely loved it!

Where is everyone posting too? Love or Hate the idea?

Our posting isnt up until 2014 so this is our first year of our time in Townsville but DH is looking at transfering into the RAAF so we could be posting out again next year if it all goes through and they dont need us here.

Choc, definitely frustrating when you have school to organise! Im dreading having to search for private schools with 5 minutes notice of posting and without housing allocation.

They allocate postings being released in order of rank and job position, and sometimes locality, so there really is no set time, its just between July-December.

Just popping in to say hi!

Hubby leaves for his deployment in 4 days. dreading it so bad... I hate army life atm!!

Quote Originally Posted by MrsBexie View Post
    Hubby leaves for his deployment in 4 days. dreading it so bad... I hate army life atm!!
    MrsBexie, how are you coping?

Well, we finally got our posting. We were promised it in July as we have been getting short posting cycles (have moved 3 times in 5 years) and this is going to be a full cycle hopefully.

Anyway, we are off to Amberley. We own a house in Ipswich so we might be forced to move into it but it was purchased prior to us having kids and is too small with too many steps and no fence on a busy road. Trying to get my DH to talk to DHA but he wants to wait a bit to see what they say. If he doesn't call them Monday, I will. I need to know where we are living ASAP so I can get a half decent school. DS1 will be there for 3 years if it is a full posting cycle and DS2 will start in 2014.

Good news though. My work has said that they will probably have a job for me in their Brisbane office if I want it.

Well, DHA won't help out with a house as the house we own is apparently "suitable". Yeah right. We are looking privately but naturally there are no houses available for rent from January on the market at the moment. Also looking at houses on the market in case the perfect one comes up as we plan on buying when we are there.

Boys are handling the news of us moving very well but they are inviting everyone to come and live with us (being my parents, my sister and her kids, the neighbours, the ladies at daycare....).

Toll and DHA are coming to the house on the 10 September to do the look through to see how much stuff we have to move and what repairs (if any) we need to make to the house. DH has to get the inventory sorted ASAP so we can get the moving date we want (which is the 4th January) with uplift on the 3rd.