Thread: Full set of grandparents and great-grandparents

Default Full set of grandparents and great-grandparents

I think my DS is one of the luckiest little boys in the world. He has all his grandparents and all his great-grandparents. Yes, the full set! For the whole time I've known DH I've been telling people that as a couple we have all 8 of our grandparents (4 sets, 2 sets each). I've never met another person with all 4, let alone another couple with all 8.

All the grandparents and 6 (3 sets) of great -grandparents live in Sydney and we see them often. The other set of great-grandparents live in the UK and we talk and write to them often. I took DS over to meet them when he was 7 moths old so I have photos of him with them too.

We had a birthday party for DS today (he was 1 yesterday) and I have another lovely photo with all of us (parents, grandparents and 6 great-grandparents) lined up around him. The other 2 great-grandparents rang him last night and he said "egh, ba, vm" to them and then blew a raspberry. I don't think I will ever get a photo of all 8 of them together as they are all too old to travel now (but it's amazing what you can do with photoshop).

Oh and I should add, we're not early breeders, we're just long lived. They're all in their 80's.

Anyone else got lots of grandparents? Anyone else with the full set?
    Last edited by Epacris; January 4th, 2008 at 09:37 AM.

Zander has his full set of grandparents, but only one great-grandfather on my side & one great-grandmother on his dad's side.

Charlie has full set of Grandparents, but not all of the Great Grandparents. It actually upset me a little that we travelled from WA to SA for his birth to be around family & the great grandparents didn't come to see him (sob).
    But just wanted to say how lucky you are & great you have the pics too!!!

I had 4 grandparents, 1 great-grandad and 3 great-grandmas. DS has 4 grandparents, one great-grandad and one great-grandma. How lucky Angus is to have so many doting ancestors!

When my eldest was born he had...

2 grandmothers, 2 grandfathers, 1 step grandmother
    3 great grandmothers, 1 great grandfather
    and 2 great great Grandmothers..

he still has all his grandparents but only 2 great grandmothers left now.

My twin kids have got their four grandparents and four great-grandmothers and a step-great grandfather( one re-married after her first hubby passed)
    Their oldest great grandma is 88 and the youngest will be 83 in December!
    I am the same and just cherish photo opportunites to get them all together!!
    They are so luck as well

Lindsay and Erin had 3 great grandparents on my side (my grandparents), but my nan died when Erin was only 3mths old. They still have 2 great grandparents and we see them often. It's great because they aren't even 75 yet, so they are only as old as many kids grandparents. Plus our parents too.

Ooh that is very lucky. When I was born we had 5 generations alive. And when i have a baby it looks like we will have 5 generations on both sides of the family again. It's so great, i hope I am alive to see my great great grandchildren!

unfortunately, our children will only have one set of grandparents, and depending on how soon we have our first child, it may have one great step-grandfather for a short period of time (he's almost 99!). DH has already lost both of his parents, but mine are here (dad 55, mum 48) - neither of them are paticularly healthy though

your little boy is very luck to still have so much of his family around - i grew up really only knowing one set of grandparents til my mid teens when i developed a relationship with my one great grandmother that was alive, and my other grandparents - i think it's great that your son will have this relationship from so early on!

Hello and thank you everyone for all your replies. I've enjoyed reading every single one of them (I should have said that earlier).

It looks like Angus will not have his full-set for much longer. My Grandpa in the UK is sick in hospital with pneumonia and the doctors have told my Dad to come now if he wants to see him (and it may already be too late). Mum and Dad are going over ASAP. I can't go. I wish I could but it's just too hard for me at the moment. I don't feel too bad because I really felt like I did what I needed to do in July-August last year. Going over there (when DS was 7 months), as a surprise, was one of the most amazing things I've ever done in my life (it's right up there with giving birth). And the time I spent with my grandparents and Angus was just so special.

Geez I wish I'd got more photos, but bloody old people and babies can never keep still, let alone look at the camera all together!

Anyway, it's so sad to have to say goodbye. But he's an old man who's lived a full life so I guess when you do have to say goodbye, this is the best way to do it. He's got lots and lots of loving family around him and hopefully Mum and Dad will make it to be there too.
    Last edited by Epacris; January 15th, 2008 at 08:40 PM.

I have all 4 grandparents, as does my DP. So my baby will have all grandparents and great grandparents. It is a rare occurrence isn't it. I used to remember in school people going to their grandparents funerals, but I have never been to a funeral in my life... and it doesn't look like any of mine will be going anywhere anytime soon, they are all so healthy. My nana sets off on 3 cruises a year on her own coz Pop doesnt wanna go hehe... she's been on 55 now!

Oh wow Mikaela! I have searched for a long time to find someone else so lucky.

Make sure you cherish every moment (and take lots of photos).