Thread: Kids coming over to play-HELP

Default Kids coming over to play-HELP

Ok peeps i need some advise. stay with me its a bit long!

We had some neighbours over around xmas time and one of the kids (5yrs lets call him boy1) took a liking to dh showing him how to play the xbox. BIG MISTAKE! apparently he always asks his parents if he came come around and play it and they always say no. we do get along with these neighbours and often have a chat out the front.
    A few weeks back we had a knock at the door. we thought it was strange but let him in ofcourse and he had a play with nixon and his toys. he told us his parents knew where he was but when i saw his mum wandering down the street i called her and he hadnt told them he was coming here!

Anyway we also had a street party at xmas time and one of the kids parents(call him boy2) that did not come some of the ladies were talking about, saying this kid is always coming over to their house, never goes home, even when its dinner time etc.

Well these 2 little boys have become friends and came over to our place about a week ago. After being here a while and making a mess i had to ask them to leave cause Nixon was going to bed (i also had to start cleaning as we are selling the house)
    That same afternoon the boy number 2 that we dont even know came around. we were eating dinner so told him no nicely

I s##t you not either one or both of these boys have come around EVERY single day since. All they want to do it play the xbox which we continue to tell them its not set up.
    They even saw me outside the other day and asked if they could come in i said no cause dh was cleaning and i was painting.
    last night boy number 2 came around about 7.30pm, again when we were eating dinner.
    im sick of telling them they cannot come in, i dont want to sound like a meany but really there is nothing here for them. if Nixon was older and could play it would be a different story.
    they have just knocked on the door now and i didnt answer (also done this a few times)
    do i really need to sounds like a prude and tell these kids parents they cannot just come over all the time??
    I think they are both starting school this year so possibly only got another more week of it but honsetly its getting out of control! They were even playing with a security thing thats attached to our front door atm for the real estate to use.
    Boy 2 wanted to explore the house that day he was here, but ive never met his parents, heard negative things about the family and dont even know the kid.

WHAT DO I DO!!!!!

I would definitely be telling the parents! They probably aren't even aware that the boys are coming over, so they definitely should know.

You obviously really don't need this, with everything else that's going on ATM. I would tell their parents, and make it clear that you don't want them coming over all the time.

I had a similar problem last year with a couple of girls who live close by. They had become friendly with our friend's daughter, who is one of our neighbours. One day they all came by to see our puppy. I took the dog out the front, let them have a pat and that was it. Next thing, I've got these little girls that I hardly know knocking on my door (without the girl that we know) every other day wanting to play with the dog! I think that they are really a bit lonely, but I still didn't think it was on. Their parents have never even laid eyes on us! So I just told them that it wasn't okay, cos their mum and dad don't know us. Eventually they stopped coming around. If it happened again though, I would def. let their parents know.

I hope you can resolve this peacefully!

yeah i would have a talk with their parents.

Thanks Sezjm!

Ive just watched the boys from my kitchen window head into another house down the road! So i am sure they are house hopping every day.and from what they have told me they have visited several other houses so i think they will be getting a name for themselves in our street soon.
    I know its boy2 influence because apparently he always does this. The parents of boy2 have never waved to us when driving past or come over to introuduce themselves.
    I just hate confrentation and i know my DH wont do it either!
    Boy1 we know and also know & get along with his parents so we were not too concerned when he came over but boy2 is a different story.
    The other day out the front when he asked to come in and i said no he said why not! i said because Nixon is asleep. he said what about dh, i said he is busy, then had to tell them we were going shopping when nixon woke up to stop him asking questions!
    Boy1 parents are selling their house also so i assume they tell the kids not to play in their house (it is always immaculant btw)

maybe next time they knock (which willprob be tonight or tomorrow!) i explain to them that there is nothing here for them to play with and the xbox is broken! What do 5yr olds want to play with a 9month old toys anyway!
    then if they come over again after that i'll have to take further action and see the parents doh!

Maybe tell them you have packed everything up because you are moving.
    Maybe that i what Boy1's parents have done with his toys if they are selling also and that is why he wants to play at your house all the time.

If that doesn't work then try and talk to the parents of both boys.

I think its sad and dangerous that these kids are wandering the street at 5 yrs old. Anything could happen to them.

yeah it is sad that 5 year olds are unsupervised!
    maybe talking to the parents wont work in the case of boy2....then you will have to be firm with him - that he must stop coming around, and the xbox is gone - then stop answering the door to him. hopefully he'll get the message.

Debbie Lee Guest

I was gonna say! What is a 5yo doing just popping over to neighbour's houses without his folks knowing? Wow!

Definitely speak to the parents. How awkward for you!
    What if something happens? Betcha they'll blame you for it.... always the way!

I had issues with my neighbours children popping over whenever they felt like it because I often would watch them for their Mum. So... I told her that I would leave the front door open if it was okay for them to knock and come in & I would close it if it wasn't okay. Well... needless to say the door stayed closed for a month & now they call to see if they can come up. (At my house the dogs are of interest)

well no more little visitors tonight thank god, so we'll see if they have cottened on yet or if not i suppose i'll tackle it tomorrow when they come around!
    Yeah boy2 and his borther are always roaming the street ALL the time. i dont think their parents would ever know if they are in the front yard or 10blocvks away because u never see them come out of their house to play with them or check up on them.
    Boy1 i think has really taken to his new friend because he never used to just play outside unless his parents were with him but now he has a friend he must be having fun with him.

Gosh im glad im not the only one this has happened to i was wondering if i was just being a snob by not wanting them around lol!

5 year old boys wandering the streets!! I would ef be talking to the parents. I wonder how they would feel if someone suddedly snatched their kids?? *shakes head* i know the only time my kids are allowed outside on their own is in the backyard, adn thats because there is no where for them to go!!

Good luck nic, the extra stress is not something you need right now

Well what do you know i just had a little visit!
    Little buggers saw me come home so i had no chance, i was barely in the door and they were coming up my driveway, so i went out to them before they had a chance to knock.

They said can we come in.
    I said No.
    why
    Because we are selling our house and I need to keep it clean.
    I said to boy1 you should understand because u r are selling too so you have to keep your house clean.
    Then they said has Trent set up the xbox?
    I said no actually he is packing it away because we are moving
    he said the tv aswell?
    i said yep its all getting paked up and so there is no toys for u to play with here, all of Nixon's toys are too little for you.
    Anyway i established they both go to school next week yayyyyyyy!!!!

Yesterday was the first day they didnt come over but there were too busy playing with all the kids in the street there was about 10 of them riding up and down.
    I did spy on boy2 though and watched him walk through the garden of one house, poke his head into a letter box of another house and then went out of site behind a fence which would have taken him to a main road........

Wow, I just find it absolutely amazing that a 5yo parent isn't wondering where their child is.

lucky for you Nic that school has gone back now.

I'm just in shock reading this. How can those parents be so irresponsible as to not supervise their kids? I think it's fine to have kids playing at other kids houses so long as adults at both places know about it and the child asks. I wonder how long before something happens to one of these kids and the mother just assumes that the kid is at someone elses house?

Kid snatchers can opperate in even the nicest areas.....I would be so freaked out.

OMG sounds like our next door neighbours the girl had this possesive look, I was freaked out by here she'd knock on the font door & it was when Indah was a newborn, so I'd not answer, she'd go around the back into our backyard & come in through our backdoor & 1 time the 3 kids froim next door aged 11, 8 & 3 had their arms full of games & toys telling me they were gonna borrow them coz they had nbothing at home, I soon told them no way, no chance no how!! The little girl stared right through me, I had to physically take the stuff out of her arms! I had never once spoken to the parents & then my Mum & her had a bog run in, in the street, its' a one way street & the woman next door ALWAYS drove the wrong way, so Mum sat in the middle of the road & kindy waved taht it was a one way this woman let fly with the finge & foul words so My Mum turned her car4 off & sat theres o the lady couldnt get past & they started yelling!!! Soon after they moved out! Thank Goodness, I'm sure that little girl was part satan!!!

They too were out on a main road til 9pm most nights of the week!!!!
    I NEVER let Maddy out past our front gate & even then we are usually sitting out the frint with her!!! But by 9pm she's been in bed for an hour & a half!

OMG Tracey! the hide of some kids hey. LOL at your mum though that will teach her a lesson! I bet she still drives down the wrong way though hey.....

well my talk seems to have worked as they have not been around since the 25th Jan.
    they ahd still e playing and hanging around in the street but just not bugging us thank god.
    yep well school is back properly as of this week so although i kow boy1 parents will probably restrict his playtime on school nights i am quiet sure boy2 will still be out roaming the streets...