Thread: Kids doing chores

Default Kids doing chores

As a SAHM I believe that most of the house work should be done by me, but I think that it is important for children to help out around the home. I was wondering what chores everyone has there children doing. What age did you start and do you pay pocket money for doing the chores?

my mum had me doign the dishes and dusting around the house when i was 13 to get my pocket money
    if thats any help...

I also think housework is mine and my DH's problem.. I do get the kids to pick up their toys so I can tidy up.. and I get my eldest (8) to help feed the animals and take rubbish out for me from time to time.. My 4yr old helps with this as well when he asks...

As for pocket money we plan on doing what my mum did.. We did odd jobs around the house and if we needed money as long as she had some we got it .. If we went to themovies we were given money but not pocket money as such.

I started a thread about this. I will try and find it for you

thanks Niliac,
    I tried to find on before starting this thread as I thought someone would have asked these questions before

My step kids ( 10 and 12) dry and put away the dishes, clean their room and their play room and fold up and put away their washing. They get $5 a week - we bank half of it. My DD (6) helps along the way and gets $2 a week.

I am trying to teach them how to look after things - I always had chores as I was "the girl" but never got pocket money for it. My younger brother had to do stuff all and at 25 that is still what he does.

I want to raise all my children to be able to keep the house clean, they are all still fairly young (8 and under) At this stage they don't have set chores, but will do things like set the table, unpack dishwasher,bring wheelie bin in, vacuum their room, pick up toys and sort out their underwear and other non ironing clothes. I don't give out pocket money but my son is asking about it.

rolymogs Guest

Last edited by rolymogs; March 20th, 2008 at 10:21 AM.

I agree with you rolymogs, I'm against giving pocket money for eveyday things, my two eldest kids fight over the dishwasher, I'm wondering when it will turn into a fight over who's turn it is to do it, because they don't want to do it. I think it is important for kids to help out, because I believe it gives them a sense of working together for the good of the family and team work, however some people I know think that it is the mothers responsibility to do the house work and not to burden the children with chores. The argument I have with that is that they may grow up wanting someone else to do the house work for them.

rolymogs Guest

Last edited by rolymogs; March 20th, 2008 at 10:21 AM.

slyder Guest

RH, I think at the age your kids are at (and I say this as a non-parent) it would be great to give them some basic and easy tasks just so that they are participating in what it takes to run the home in which they enjoy.

Like some of the other comments, I think most of it comes down to the parents, but I do think it's important for kids to have some involvement, even if only to appreciate the realities of life when they move out.

My DD is 4yrs old and she picks up her toys from her room and lounge room or wherever she has thrown them,i also get her to put her plate and cup in the sink when she finished eating,she sometimes offers to clear the table after we have had dinner and i let her.
    I beleive its important to teach kids to be clean and tidy and be responsible.
    I dont give her pocket money for her chores,but she gets $2-$5 from DH weekly which she saves up until she can buy something nice with it.
    I am trying to teach her that cleanliness is a reward in itself so thats why i dont pay her for it.
    My mum got me doing dishes ,washing,cleaning lounge room from age 7 and by 10 i was even cooking.
    I loved it and i beleive its made me a much better SAHM.
    I got married at 17 and was already a really good cook (modest arnt i) because of mum
    anyway sorry im rambling on...but yeah i think its good to incorporate some sort of tasks for the kids
    Last edited by rurumummy; November 12th, 2007 at 03:57 PM. Reason: shocking spelling

I'm not there yet but i will be getting our kids to do chores from when they can understand the concept of it. Lily loves to have her room clean and always likes to show it off but she always messes it up and leaves it for me to pick up

I would pay pocket money from around 12 years old. And that would be depending on how much they did during the week. I'd get them to keep their room tidy, help me get clothes off the line, set the dinner table and just generally not make a mess or if they do, clean up after themselves without being asked to do so.

My 7 yr old will do the dishers ( only a few cups) vaccume as he begs to do it ( I do it everyday while his at school ) and takes the big out and in he gets about $5 per week but this is not set in gold it just whenever I give it to him he will normally just get a beanie kid, at the end of food shopping once a fortnight.
    My 4 yr old will put away any dish that will not brake and is ment to clean her room but this never happens she also get a beanie.