Thread: When do you get concerned about bedwetting?

Default When do you get concerned about bedwetting?

I've been wondering whether I should be worried about DD wetting the bed still. She is 5, which is not so old, I know, but this is not an occasional "accident". She is very wet, every morning. (She wears a "pull-up" to bed, meant for night-time accidents.) I know that there are many children who have bed-wetting issues occasionally at this age, but I don't know how common it is for someone at this age to never be dry. She does not drink much at supper (1 glass, maybe) and nothing after. She always goes to the toilet before bed. I don't want her to be unnecessarily stressed about something she can't control, so I haven't made an issue of it at all. I am starting to wonder if this is normal, though.
    She seems not to have to go very often during the day. And, when she has to go, she has to go NOW! But there are no signs of bladder infection, or anything like that. Also, she has in the past gone to the toilet, and gotten into the bath, and then had to jump right out again because she has to go again. And, she occasionally has to make a dash for the toilet if she's upset about something. It almost seems like she doesn't fully empty her bladder, and that she doesn't get the signal to go (or listen to the signal, maybe?) until she has to go really badly. I don't know if this is just "being 5" or something to make a doctor's appointment about.
    Anyone have any suggestions?

Shalou Guest

Hi, I would make a dr's appointment if your really worried about it. I think I remember reading some where that it's not unusual for a child to wet the bed up until 10 yrs of age. All drs though probably have different time frames on what they consider normal so it's probably a good idea to see your dr just to put your mind at ease.

I try not to let myself get over concerned about it. I mean, I hate it when it happens and it makes the mornings that bit harder - and the washing pile that bit bigger - but Sam has his dry nights and I work on trying to encourage him with those and not get upset with him about the accidents. When he does have one I concentrate more on reminding him that he needs to get clean now. Its why we never buy any of the kids a new mattress until we know they are past it, haha! Its like their 'reward' - I nice new comfortable innerspring.

With some kids, it can go on for a while. DD1 wet hers until she was 9ish. DD2 was more like me though - it happened once and we both hated the feeling of sleeping in a wet bed so much that it never ever happened again. Some of the time I think its just sheer laziness (DH said it was with him). Others its actual 'fear of the dark' issues which we fix with night lights. Some others have involuntairy lack of control. My Sister's little girl who still wets the bed (same age as Sam) has very little bladder control and so my sister is trying to teach her pelvic floor exercises by trying to get her to stop the pee midstream. Could be worth a try if she is outputting that much. Fluids you drink will make it to the bladder at different times so it could be related. One way to tell for sure is - when she says she needs to go to the toilet - do you get ANY warning, or does she go from playing happily to has to go "right now"?

I wet the bed until late primary school . I simply did not feel that full bladder feeling when I was asleep, and woke up wet. I eventually grew out of it. It is wonderful that you are so supportive of your child, it is embarassing but nothing they can do anything about (unless it is a fear of the dark or laziness) and I hated the way my mother embarassed me infront of my family and friends. Good luck with this .

I heard that it's quite normal for a long time too. Some kids just sleep right on through the need to go.

I also heard tho, that if they have been dry and regress to wetting the bed, then that is worth investigating.

Here in China, very few people use nappys. At night time you take your child to potty before they go to bed, then when you go to bed you wake them and take them potty again (often a potty in the bed room) and for small children the mums will wake again at maybe 3am to "shu shu"-potty the child.

DD was the same and we did the Bell and Mat program from our health service - took 2 weeks and all dry.

paradise lost Guest

DD was dry for the first 3 weeks after TT and the last 2 nights she's wet the bed at midnight. Tonight i will be getting her up for the potty at 11pm. If that works then we're good, if not then i'll think again! She's only 2 though (i'm only bothering becuse she HAS been dry for weeks, if she'd never been dry i'd have left her in nappies at night).

Have you tried taking the pull-up off and seeing what time she is wetting? Then you can go a little before and wake her to use the loo. It will help her brain to realise that the "full" feeling means "wake up!".

Bx

Quote Originally Posted by doubletrouble View Post
    Here in China, very few people use nappys. At night time you take your child to potty before they go to bed, then when you go to bed you wake them and take them potty again (often a potty in the bed room) and for small children the mums will wake again at maybe 3am to "shu shu"-potty the child.
    This is what I did. It helps their body get used to waking for the toilet. I had both the boys trained nights within a week by doing this.

Apparently it's normal for kids to need night nappies until they start primary school, so I don't think you should worry yet. Maybe see how she goes over the next few months before you do anything. GL hun.

rhyb Guest

Dont worry my sister has only just grown out of it and she's 14 but she has anxiety issues. If it carried on until her teens then Id be concerned. The suggestions so far have been great.

DH was like it til early teens. it can be genetic as well, when it goes on that late, if one parents has had it happen (our case) theres a 40% chance for each child as well.

5-6 is still normal though.

Thanks so much for all the replies ladies! It is reassuring to hear about so many others having similar situations. I knew that bedwetting occasionally was very normal, but I wasn't sure about EVERY night. I have considered waking her up at night to take her to the bathroom. We did do that for a week or so, maybe a year ago, but I found that she would still be wet in the morning. I am also curious about when exactly it happens - just as she's falling asleep, in deep sleep, just before waking, etc. However, I don't really want to take the chance on leaving the pull-up off and letting her actually wet the bed! I don't want that much more laundry! 'Cause when she's wet, she's really wet. I'd probably have to change the bed from top to bottom.
    Anyways, I will maybe try waking her up when DH and I go to bed, and see if that improves matters at all, and for the rest, we'll just wait and see. I would really like to be done with this before she goes to school, because I'm afraid she will be teased. She is not at all ashamed of it right now, and will casually mention getting her pull-up and PJ's on, or whatever, and I'm glad she's not embarrassed, but I don't know how well that will go over in grade one. If only we could protect them from everything. It's going to be hard for me to let her go to school, I think. But that's a whole other topic.
    Thanks again, and if anyone else has any further suggestions or experiences to relate, I would be glad to hear them!