Thread: Advice for a beginner

Default Advice for a beginner

I'm looking at buying some fitted cloth nappies. I'm looking at the Baby Beehinds website as they're having a sale on ATM, and need to know if I'm getting the right things.

Bamboo Fitted Nappies (buying 18 to begin with)
    Wool covers (not sure how many I'll need??)

What else will I need to get started?

I would recommend the BB PUL covers along with the wool. Wool can suffer compression leaks. The beehinds PUL covers are my favourite PUL cover. Perhaps think about a couple of the magicalls AIO nappies, as they are quick and easy and great nappy bag nappies. They are sized though so you would have to restock when your bubby grows out of them.

Covers, probably 2-4 per day for your wash cycle + 1 day (drying time). So if you plan on washing every 2nd day, I would say get 10-12 covers for a newborn. This sounds like a lot, but little bubbies tend to do those explosive breastmilk poos which invaribly get on the cover.

Thanks for that. Have put my order in now

Wow Jodi thats a massive order. Have you tried the BBH nappies at all?
    I found they were a terrible fit on Isla.
    I would have been more tempted in getting a few to try before such a big order.
    My suggestion would be to only wash & try a few before prewashing ALL of them. That way if you don't like them you can onsell them as new.

Good luck I hope they are a good fit for you.

eta - oh der just re read your post, this will be for Bubba wont it. Well you should be ok.

Yay Jodi, how exciting!! You are more than welcome to come over and check out my stash if you ever want to see other types of cloth nappies in action - I haven't used BBH though but lots of people love them!

FJ - I ended up ordering a little less than what my original post said, just enough to get an idea of what they're like. And yeah, they're for Emily. Hopefully they fit well!!

suse - I'll have to take you up on that offer. I only know one other person here who uses cloth.

Any time Jodi!

Jodi - how are the BBH's on Emily's butt? Do they fit well? Easy to use, wash etc?

Although it's early days for me, I am looking into what newborn nappies i'll be buying for bub now so i'm prepared etc..... there is so much to learn with cloth nappies....

edit --- was just looking at that package for about $827 and it has heaps of different fitted nappies with covers (PUL and wool) and other stuff i wonder if thats good value or not?? Anyone know???
    I just read for a newborn using cloth full time we'd need 25-35 nappies!!!!!
    Last edited by Shanti; June 5th, 2008 at 06:33 PM.

Jodi, if you want to save some money you could combine fitteds with some flats or prefolds. That's what I'm planning to do. Apparently the flats can have very effective pootainment, depending on the fold (roll up the legs and back). And they are much cheaper. So, I'm going to get given about 15 cheap terry fitteds + I'm buying a few bamboo fitteds for night time. I have also bought some cotton terry flats and am going to make some bamboo terry flats and out of the leftovers (and possibly adding some bamboo fleece) I will make some boosters. This plus good quality covers should get the job done.
    So for home time, you could just go flats/prefolds and use your fitteds mainly for night and out-and-about.

Sasa

Sunshine - I love your word 'pootainment' lol - thats brilliant!!

I'm looking at embarking upon cloth nappies - also looking at BBH - but hemp...just part time to see how we'll go, and I'm concerned about nappy changes when I'm out and about too - carrying around a stinky nappy doesn't sound like too much fun?

Leesa, nappy changes out and about are fine with cloth. Honestly. Just get a good PUL wetbag, preferably one that zips, and you won't even notice it's there. Some people also use flushable liners when they're out.

I actually use nappy sacks when we are out (I don't have a PUL bag) & that holds in everything just fine (smells, mess, etc). The only problem is when you forget to take them out of the nappy bag when you get home - I had some live in there for a few days before I remember that they need washing .

I have found having a mixture of hemp & bamboo better than having all hemp. My DS is a big wetter & hemp don't last for very long - so if we are going to the shops etc he is in bamboo.

Pootainment isn't my word, I can't take credit for it unfortunately...
    I also don't like the way hemp smells... but that's just now with a bionic pregnant nose (well, it's me who's preggers, not my nose)...

Saša

I ended up getting BBH bamboo fitted and magicalls, and itti bitti d'lish. I'm really happy with what I bought, I've never had any problems with leaks.

If it wasn't for you ladies and your wealth of information I wouldn't have embarked upon MCN's. DP was dead against them initially, but I 'sold' them to him lol....(He even paid for the package lol)...I said 'if you care so much about your precious recycling then why can't you see the benefits of a item that can be re-used over a single use item'...

I ordered (just to start - I know it's not enough for full time use - but I guess better than disposables ALL the time)...

8 x hemp nappies
    2 x bamboo nappies
    2 x bamboo boosters
    6 x PUL covers
    1 x zipped 'wet' tote bag (thanks Suse )
    2 x wool nappy covers

and hopefully I've ordered the correct size...DD is 9.5kgs, so I ordered a size up

What sizes did you get? Emily weighs just over 9kg and she is in mostly larges. But it does depend of their body shape. So you should be safe with mediums and larges. And don't forget to grab yourself a couple of fleece covers too, they're fantastic.