Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bamboo or hemp

Default bamboo or hemp

Which do you think is best for fitted nappies

ANd would your reccommend fitted or the AIO?

depends what kind of set up you are looking for and how old the baby is your planning to put it on.. breastfed newborns tend to have really runny poo that leaks easily out of nappies which would make fitteds better because you have the cover over the top to catch the leak. AIOs are easier for going out though and are a bit less bulky though i'm not sure you could get a good fit from an AIO on a new born someone else might have to shed light on that one coz we only started cloth at 8mths old...
    bamboo would (well is) my choice but i only use fitteds for overnight, we use flats at home and pockets and AIOs when out. from what i understand bamboo is more absorbant and holds more but takes longer to dry i have 3 baby beehinds and their inserts snap out for quicker drying time but on a cold day they can be on the line all day and not be dry by bed time so if you go with bamboo you need to make sure you have enough to allow for that, though they can go in the drier its best not to do that too often because they will wear the nappies out quicker.. hemp is less absorbant but dries quicker.. i havnt personally tried a hemp nappy but have been told they are fine for during the day just will need boosting at night. if you have a heavy wetter like i do though u need to boost the bamboo so its really not a night nappy from what i understand.. could be wrong though.. HTH

I use Bamboo fitteds and Magicall AIOs. I picked bamboo as it is more absorbent and DS1 was a heavy wetter. The down side is it takes longer to dry, but I had enough nappies to deal with that. Nowadays I mostly only use the AIOs (with a booster) as it is just DS2 in nappies and he's not a very heavy wetter (and DH much prefers the AIOs). The magicalls (I have the older styles ones) are less absorbent but do the job for us, and dry in no time flat.

thanks girls
    the Aio's sound the way to go - can you put boosters in them for night time or would you suggest get 1/2 dozen for nights?

Also do they really adjust in size well? Do you know a brand you can use for newborns and a 18 month old?

I wouldn't use AIOs for night - they aren't absorbent enough. For nights you would want a dedicated night nappy, or something like a boosted Baby Beehinds Bamboo with wool cover. I don't think any of them will do nb to 18 months, but any of the OSFA (which are really OSF mosts) should do from a couple of months through to age 2 or 3 depending on their size and weight.

The BBB (Baby Beehinds Bamboo) are OSFA and they and the large size Magicall fit DS1 right up until he was TT.

NBs are particularly small and also have special nappy needs due to the runny poos. I never used cloth on a nb but I think many people find prefolds work best.

do you only plan to use them overnight? i have 3 night nappies with one child so 6 with two would work though you may find your newborn is more likely to do a poo after a feed during the night so you might need more.. i am pretty sure you can boost any kind of nappy. i dnt know much about one size AIOs the ones i use come in small medium and large i think its generally fitteds and pockets that have the one size nappies..

To fit a new born and a 18 month old you need a One Size Fits Most (OSFM) Off the top of my head i can only think of pockets that are OSFM......

I like pockets, as you csn stuff more in for increased abosbancy.
    BumGenious and Bluberry OSFM pockets are both good.
    Although for newborn poo i would recommend either NB fitteds and a cover, or prefolds and a cover.

In my stash i have a bit of everything, i think my fave though is an AI2, ittibitti. Like an AIO, but the liner snaps off for quicker drying time. Sometimes i can't be bothered stuffing pockets, even though it only takes a second!!!

We used pockets overnight until DD was about 7 months, now she needs a more absorbent nappy, so we are using a pocket, or cover, stuffed with a mazalicious bamboo trifold. i have one dedicated night nappy, but they are quite $$$$. One other optiong that my friend used on her 2 year old is a BumG with 2 boosters in.

Am i making any sense today?!

from what ive heard flanelette flats and a good cover are best for newborns..

talk about confusing!
    So use AIO during the day
    then fitted with a booster at night (with a cover)

Dispoables on NB until when? 3 months? or until off breastfeeding?

Starting out how many would you suggest mantaray?
    AIO's - ? 5 per day
    Fitted - 1 at night

soak and wash every 2 days - so get 24 AIO and 6 Fitted for nights?
    Can you put an insert in the AIO or is that the point of an AIO? lol

Would this be enough for 2 kids under 2 (3-20months) or need more?

Do you like the baby beehinds?

ok hehe it is very confusing to begin with isnt it i think thats why i didnt start till dd was 8mths old..
    theres no need to put your newborn in sposies fitteds with covers or flanelette flats or prefolds with covers are your best bet though to prevent poo explosions lol.. with a new born you change them more often so hmmm i forget how many i went through a day with dd but basically you need that number say its 5-6 times 4 i think someone was saying the other day? because that newborn poo needs lots of sun bleaching plus theres washing and drying times.. with the 18mth old you wouldnt need as many though because they are changed less and their poo is not as runny..
    with ur AIOs they come with the insert sewn in or ones you can snap in that alot of people call AI2s you could add an extra insert but you might find that changes the fit around the legs..
    oh and you dont need to soak your nappies.. you just empty the solids into the toilet (or spray them off like we do with the little squirt then you dont need to rince) if no little squirt rince the nappy a little where the poo was. put it in a bucket we dont put anything in there, some ppl like to put water, but there isnt any need for bleach.. then when it comes time to wash them put them in do a rince and spin and then wash normally (some ppl dnt do the rince n spin) hang them out to dry and the sun will do the rest and yep i love my baby beehinds thats the nappy we use for overnight here
    hope i am making sence

Dispoables on NB until when? 3 months? or until off breastfeeding?
    Oh no!

You can use fitteds and covers such as Baby Beehinds which I still use on C at 22 months! (Different covers though )

Or you can use flanelette flats or prefolds. Bamboo prefolds are good because you can use them as boosters later on if you need!

Yeah, no soaking, MCNs work best when dry pailed (bucket with no water) and definitely no bleach - the sun is the best for getting out stains.

I had 20 fitteds and 12 AIOs for the boys. This got me by for 2 days without washing. Plus 1 wool cover for each, and 4 PUL covers for each. You would likely need more for a nb, but if you are using prefolds then you wouldn't need extra fitteds or AIOs.

I love the BBH (baby beehinds). I got an email the other day, they are bringing out new minkee Magicalls (AIOs) in a month or so - what a pity I have absolutey no need for more nappies. They look gorgeous!

ETA - I'm still bfing DS2 at 20 months so don't wait until you stop bfing to use MCN PMSL!! The runny poos stop after a couple of months, it's not due to bfing, it's just the age!!

I was using BBH AIO's on Emily until last week. I'm now using BBH fitted on her. When they're a newborn you will go through quite a few, so you'll need more than 5.
    It's probably a good idea to buy more than 1 fitted for overnight use in case they poo or leak during the night.
    I find the fitted dry quicker than the AIO's.

Are they the pocket AIOs Jodi? The old style Magicalls dry very quickly - they are almost dry after the spin cycle!

They're the new style BBH AIO's. Possibly because they have the booster sewn in?

Yeah, probably. The old ones have the separate booster. The booster still dries quickly but not as quickly as the Magicalls.

Ok well what i might do it try out with some fitted nappies - one size.
    Use them for overnight -
    Should i start with 3
    and how many liners?
    ALso would you suggest PUl or wool cover?

Pink Palace, where are you, sometimes we have meet-ups and show off our stashes ? Come join the general discussion & I'm sure you'll get heaps of help there too!!

For nights: I would definately use a bamboo fitted with a wool cover. Its the best combo in my humble personal opinion. Which one truely depends on you. When I first started cloth nappies, I had a BBH nappy party so I could feel & see different nappies. I bought a few of each sort to figure it all out & then bought other nappies according to what I liked.

I love BumGenius OSFA pocket nappies, and BBH bamboo fitteds. They are my 2 favourites atm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast