Thread: Creamy Vegetable Soup Help please....

Default Creamy Vegetable Soup Help please....

I am really struggling to get DS to eat vegetables again. He is 2, and goes through phases, where he will eat them platefuls at a time, but atm he wont touch them at all, unless they are totally hidden... And I am saying blended into the food, not just covered with sauce or in an omelet or in a pie... he picks them right out

So I am hiding them in his food, but I am looking for ideas. I made a minestrone soup but he picked through it, and only ate the meat, so I was thinking to make a vege soup.

Was going to cook up some veges in chicken stock, potatoes, leek, celery, carrot, capsicum, and then blend it up. Will probably then add some (and here is where I need some guidance) low fat yogurt to give it a bit more of a creamy taste. My recipe says to use cream, but would the yogurt work? I will feed it to the family, and I prefer to keep it as healthy and low fat as possible. (Ds gets his fats elsewhere...)

Also, was thinking to add some kind of beans for a bit of protein... But which ones? I thought chick peas???

Any help apreciated...

Chick peas will give your soup a fabulous nutty taste. I would also add some pumpkin or sweet potato too to bulk up the soup and make it last a lot longer. For the creamy taste, what about coconut milk? But yes, plain yoghurt will work too.

Oh I wish I was having lunch at your place, my stomach is growling at me for soup now

oh good call on the sweet potato. That will be nice. Thanks.

You can thicken soups using roux, but potatoes are my fav.

Add a few potatoes into the soup, and starch will leech into the soup, so when you blend it, it will be thicker.
    Aslo, make sure you put only just enough water to come to the top of the vegies in the pot, you can always add more water if it is too thick.

With the yoghurt, you may be able to do it if you stir it in off the heat right before serving. It may well split though if you add it and cook it in. It will also most likely kill the good bacteria in it anyway. Coconut Cream will be more effective.

Cannelini Beans, white beans, chickpeas....Any soft white bean will work really well.

Thanks girls. Well, the soup was a semi success... He ate it with lots of bread brides... I just used the potatoes to thicken it, and skipped any form of cream. I also left out the beans this time... But DH and I loved it, and I managed to get some frozen for next time.