Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toddler Food Recipes

Default Toddler Food Recipes

New thread...same as before...just for older kids or those of us pretending to be kids

Mini Zucchini Cakes

Makes 12

Ingredients

1 1/2 C grated zucchini
    1/2 C grated carrot
    1 small onion, chopped
    3 eggs
    1/2 C grated cheese
    1/2 C self-raising flour
    1 tsp tomato paste
    1 stock cube
    1/4 C milk
    1 tsp each of rosemary,
    basil and oregano.
    Ham/bacon (optional)

Method:

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, mixing well. Spoon mixture into mini muffin trays sprayed with canola cooking spray and bake in 180 C oven for 20 minutes, or until top bounces back when tapped lightly. Serve warm or cold.

***These are great for travelling snacks, or lunchbox fillers...and if you like pumpkin try adding 1/2 Cup of grated pumpkin instead of carrot...

*hugs*
    Cailin

-----Australian Baby and Toddler Meals by Robin Barker------

Basic Frittata

4 toddler serves - Lunch, Dinner, Snack, Finger Food

1 tablespoon olive oil
    300g small zucchini (thinly sliced)
    4 eggs, lightly beaten
    100ml full cream milk
    Pepper

1. Heat the oil in a heavy-based frying pan and saute the zucchini over a low heat for about 10-15 mins, or until soft.
    2. Mix the eggs, milk and pepper together and pour over zucchini
    3. Cook until set underneath. Turn it over or put the pan under a medium hot grill for a few minutes, or until the frittata is golden and set.

Variation - Add sliced onions, leeks mushrooms, tomatoes, capsicum or other leftover vegetables and cook with the zucchini. Add grated cheddar or parmesan cheese to egg mixture or sprinkle over before grilling the frittata.

I found some great recipes online whilst trying to look up things to do with toddlers

Here goes...

Playdough

2 cups flour
    4 tablespoons of cream of tartar
    2 tablespoons of oil
    1 cup salt
    food colouring
    2 cups water

Mix ingredients on a stove for approx 3-5 minutes until it forms a ball. Let it cool and keep it in an airtight container.

Hand/Footprints

2 cups of flour
    1/2 cup of salt
    3/4 cup of warm water

Mix ingredients together in a bowl. If the dough is a little dry add water a little at a time. Make a ball of dough then flatten it to about a one inch thickness in the shape of a circle.
    Press the hand or the foot or a shell, a leaf or other object into the dough to make an imprint. Gently lift it off and bake this at 325 degrees in the oven until hard or let it air dry a couple days. After that you can decorate it. The dough can be coloured by adding some food coloring.

Goop

2 cups water
    6 cups cornflour
    food colouring

Mix all together. It's great for the kids to get messy with and it's safe if they eat it - not that it will taste any good!

Bath Tub Paint

2 tablespoons of sugar
    1/3 cup cornflour
    2 cups cold water
    1/4 cup clear dishwashing liquid
    Food coloring

Mix the sugar and cornflour in a small pan, slowly add water. Cook over low heat stiring until mixture becomes a smooth, almost clear gel - about 5 minutes. When mixture cools, stir in soap. Scoop equal amounts into containers and stir in fool coloring.

Coloured Rice (great for filling softdrink bottles)

1/2 cup Uncooked white rice
    food colouring
    1/2 teaspoon vinegar

Place 1/2 cup of rice, 5 drops of food colouring and 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar into a bowl and mix. Place onto a tray and bake for 45 minutes to dry out.

Peanut Butter Play Dough

2 cups of peanut butter
    2 cups of powdered milk
    3 tablespoons honey

Mix together all above ingredients. Add more powdered milk, one tablespoon at a time if it is too sticky

Finger Paint

1/2 cup flour
    2 cups water
    food coloring

Mix the flour with a little bit of water and smooth out any lumps. then put it over some heat adding the remaining water. Keep stirring until it gets smooth and shiny. Separate into different baby jars or yoghurt containers and add drops of food colouring to make different colours.

Paper Mache

strips of newspaper
    flour
    water

Mix the flour and water together. Dip the strips of newspaper into the flour/water mixture.

*****Recipes from the Aussie Toddlers Website*****

*hugs*
    Cailin

Hey Anney,

What about...

- Fruit based or savoury mini muffins
    - Mini quiche things
    - Cheese sticks
    - Fresh fruit and/or vegies cut up and served with dips
    - Fruit or yoghurt based icey poles (wouldn't be too hard to make your own I reckon)
    - Pikelets served with a variety of toppings

HTH!

I made Fried Rice last night & modified it to be good for Matilda here goes

Fried Rice

2 cups cooked brown rice
    1/2 red onion
    1/2 red capsicum
    1 cup broccoli
    1 zucchini
    3 eggs
    2 tablespoons low salt soy sauce
    1 tsp garlic
    1 tsp ginger
    Spray of olive oil

Chop all veges finely. Spray pan with olive oil and get hot, put veges in and saute for 2-3 minutes until soft. Add soy sauce,garlic, and ginger. After a minute add rice & make a hole in the middle, beat eggs lightly and then add to hole & leave for a minute, then stir through & fold entire mix on high heat for 2 minutes or until egg is cooked through.

mmm...Matilda loved it for dinner & we had chilli beef on top. =P~

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Ok here goes Simone

1 Year and On

Chicken Meatballs in Soup

Prep time: 20 minutes
    Cooking time: 20 minutes
    Serves: 4

1 spring onion
    375g chicken mince
    3 1/2 cups salt reduced chicken stock
    1 1/2 tablespoons frozen peas
    1 1/2 tablespoons finely diced carrot
    1 tablespoon alphabet noodles or other small pasta

Finely chop half the spring onion and thinly slice the remainder. Combine the chicken and the finely chopped spring onion until well mixed, then form into small balls, about the size of a walnut. Bring the chicken stock to the boil in a saucepan and add the peas, carrot and noodles. Simmer until the vegetables are tender, then add the reserved sliced spring onion.

Drop the chicken balls into the simmering soup. Cook until the meatballs flost to the surface and turn white.

Mini Quiche Lorraines

Prep time: 10 minutes
    Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
    Makes 12

2 sheets frozen ready-rolled short crust pastry, thawed.
    1 tomato, chopped
    1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
    1/4 cup chopped ham or bacon
    1 spring onion, finely choped
    1/2 cup milk
    1 egg

Preheat oven to 200 degrees.

Cut the pastry into 12 rouds using 8cm cutter. Line 12 shallow patty pans or mini muffin tins with the pastry.

Mix together the tomato, cheese, ham and spring onion and spoon the mixture into the pastry cases.

Whisk together the milk and egg. Pour enough into each pastry case to cover the filling.

Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the filling is set and golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 2 days.

Bubble and Squeek- great way to use up leftovers.

Prep time: 10 minutes
    Cooking time: 5 minutes
    Serves 4

1 cup cooked potato
    1 cup cooked pumpkin
    1 cup grated, cooked cabbage
    1 cup small, cooked broccoli florets
    4 eggs, beaten
    2 chives, snipped
    20g unsalted butter

Put the vegetables into a bowl and mix well with the egg and chives. Melt the butter in a large frying pan and add the vegetable mixture. Cook over medium heat until the underside is golden, the cut into quarters and turn. Cook the mixture for a little longer until the surface is goldn and the egg set. Alternatively, once the underside is cooked, put the frying pan under a hot grill for 1-2 minutes or until the top is set.

Baked Chicken Nuggets

Prep time: 15 minutes
    Cooking time 10 minutes
    Serves 4

1 1/3 cups corn flakes
    400g boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    Plain flour, for dusting
    1 egg white

Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Crush corn flakes until they resemble breadcrumbs.

Cut the chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces. Toss in seasoned flour then in lightly beaten egg white. Roll each piece in the crumbs until well coated.

Lightly grease a baking tray with oil and place the nuggets on it. Bake for 10 minutes, or until golden and cooked through.

Ok, have to dash will post more tomorrow

Melinda Guest

Corn & Bacon Fritters

Suitable for the entire family!

4 bacon rashers, rind removed, chopped finely
    2 cups fresh corn kernels
    2 green onions, chopped finely
    2/3 c plain flour
    1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
    2/3 c buttermilk
    2 eggs
    125g can creamed corn
    1/2 c sweet chilli sauce

1. Cook bacon in large non-stick frying pan until crisp. Add corn kernels and onion; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.

2. Sift flour and soda into medium bowl. Make well in centre of flour mixture; gradually whisk in combined milk and eggs, whisking until batter is smooth. Stir in bacon mixture, and creamed corn.

3. Por 1/4 cup batter into same heated oiled frying pan; using spatula, spread batter into round shape. Cook, two at a time, about 2 minutes each side, or until fritter is browned lightly and cooked through. Remove fritters from pan; cover to keep warm. Repeat process with remaining batter.

4. Divide fritters among serving plates, serve with sweet chilli sauce (use tomato sauce for toddlers).

Note: I used normal onion, diced finely, in place of the green onions

I made these for Olivia and my neices yesterday for a treat.........went down a treat............they do contain sugar, but don't taste sweet?

Veggie Pikelets

Ingredients:

1 small zucchini, peeled and grated
    1 small carrot, peeled and grated
    1 tablespoon corn
    1 tablespoon frozen peas
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1 cup SR flour
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 egg
    1 cup of milk

Method:

~ Cook the grated carrot, zuchinni and peas and corn in the orage juice over a low heat
    ~ Sift the flour into a bowl, and make a well in the centre
    ~ Add the egg and beat gradually
    ~ Add the milk and beat into a thick batter
    ~ Add the cooked veggies
    ~ Heat a frypan
    ~ Using a little oil for each batch, drop spoonfuls of the batter into the pan.
    ~ When bubbles appear, flip each pikelet and cook on the other side
    ~ Serve warm with butter, or by themselves.

Mackenzie can't get enough of Shepherd Pie. It's also a great one to freeze and makes an easy self feeding with a spoon meal! This receipe is from 'Feeding Your Baby & Toddler' by Annabel Karmel's (great book). I usually also add extra vegies in this ie- carrots, peas etc. I also used salt reduced stock.

Prepartion/Cooking
    15 minutes/1 hour 10 minutes

Oven Temperature
    180 C/350 F

1.5 tbsp vegetable oil
    1 large onion (omit if freezing)
    1 small red pepper, finely chopped
    1 garlic clove, crushed
    500 g lean minced lamb
    300ml chicken stock of beef stock
    1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
    .5 tsp yeast extract
    1 tbsp tomato puree
    .25 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    175g mushrooms sliced

MASHED POTATO
    1KG Potatos roughly chopped
    45g butter
    3 tbsp milk
    salt and pepper, to taste

1. Warm the oil in a pan, add the onion, red pepper and garlic, and saute unitl softened. If desired add the cooked mixture to a food processor and chop for a few seconds on the pulse setting.
    2. Transfer the meat to a saucepan and add the stock, parsley, yeast extract, tomato puree, worcestershire sauce and mushrooms. Cook over a medium heat for about 20 minutes.
    3. Meanwhile, boil the potatoes in lightly salted water until tender, then drain and mash with 30g of butter and the milk. Season to taste.
    4. Arrange the meat either in one large dish or in individual ramekins, cover with the mashed potato and dot the topping with the remainin butter. Cook in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.

VARIATION
    To make cottage pie, replace the minced lamb with the same quantity of lean minced beef. For the topping omit the mashed potato and replace it with 1kg mashed swede or use a combination of mashed swede and potato.

One of the few ways I can get vegies into Kynan these days...

Carrot and Zucchini Muffins

1/2 cp wholemeal plain flour
    1/2 cp plain flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    2 tbsp soft brown sugar
    1/4 cp finely grated carrot
    1/4 cp finely grated zucchini
    1 tbs poppy seeds
    60g melted butter
    2 egg whites lightly beaten
    1/3 cp milk

- Preheat oven to 210 deg and lightly grease a muffin tin.
    - Sift flours and baking powder into a bowl. Stir in sugar, carrot, zucchini, and poppy seeds.
    - Combine butter, egg whites and milk. Stir into dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
    - Spoon into muffin tin and bake for 15-20mins or until golden.

Recipe says it makes 6 normal sized muffins but I used a tiny mini muffin tray and got about 30 out of it. I didn't have poppy seeds so I left those out and I used less sugar.

This isnt a recipe as such, but its a meal I make for Aidyn at least twice a week when he cant eat what we're eating, and he LOVES it, and usually eats the whole darned thing (which is more than I can eat!)
    Its just a simple 1 egg omlette with a dash a milk and grated cheese, and then the joy of it is you can add whatever veggies you want into it... grated carrot, zuchinni, peas, finely chopped brocolli or beans, mushrooms etc etc!
    You mix all the ingredients together with the egg, then pour into a frypan on medium heat for about 4 or 5 mins, and then transfer the pan to the griller for 1 min so that the top goes all golden and the melted cheese gets grilled a bit too.
    Its the best way yet that I have found to get veggies into him!

I think this might be from a baby food recipe book but can't remember which one. I cook up a big batch of mini ones and then freeze them for Kynan's morning/arvo tea.

Apple Muffins

2 cups SR flour
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1 cup milk
    125g butter, melted
    1 egg, beaten
    2 apples, peeled & grated

- Preheat oven to 200 deg and lightly grease a muffin tray.
    - Sift flour and cinnamon together and stir in the sugar.
    - Add the milk, butter, egg, and apple and stir until combined.
    - Spoon evenly into muffin tray.
    - Bake for 15-20mins or until cooked & golden.

Default Breast Milk Ice cream

BREAST MILK ICE CREAM

1/2 cup breast milk
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    1 tablespoon sugar
    4 cups crushed ice
    4 tablespoons salt
    2 quart size zip-lock bags
    1 gallon size zip-lock bag
    Hand towel or gloves to keep fingers from freezing

Mix the milk, vanilla and sugar together in one of the quart size bags. Seal tightly, allowing as little air to remain in the bag as possible. Too much air left inside the bag may force the bag open during shaking. Place this bag inside the other quart size bag, again leaving as little air inside as possible and sealing well. By double bagging, the risk of salt and ice leaking into the icecream is minimized. Put the 2 bags inside the gallon size bag and fill the bag with ice, then sprinkle salt on top. Again let all the air escape and seal the bag. Wrap the bag in the towel or put your gloves on, shake and massage the bag, making sure the ice surrounds the cream mixture. 5 to 8 minutes is adequate time for the mixture to freeze into ICE CREAM!

kirsty Guest

I've seen them make this on Playschool but just with normal milk, & called "shakey icecream". It is really quick & a great way to get your kids involved in something in the kitchen

OK - By request this is one from the Fabbo Womans Weekly Babies and Toddlers Cookbook that Ambah gave me for SS this year Well done Ambah!

Fish Croquettes

1 medium potato
    105g tin salmon (substitute with tinned tuna or any steamed flaked fish fillet)
    1 egg beaten lightly
    2T finely grated carrot
    2T finely grated zucchini
    2T finely grated cheddar cheese
    2T plain flour
    2t olive oil

Mash cooked potato and allow to cool. Discard all bones from fish and combine salmon, egg, zucchini, carrot and cheese with potato. Use rounded tablespoons, shape into croquettes (think long turds ). Toss in flour and shake away excess. Heat oil in small non-stick pan, cook croquettes in batches until browned all over. Drain on paper towel and serve with lemon, tomato wedges and crustless bread.

Makes 2 servings, and suitable for freezing uncooked.

These are actually enjoyed as much by the adults as the kids! Better than bought fish fingers

Fi

Default Homemade Frozen Yoghurt

Zander & I made some really yummy frozen yoghurt the other day & just tasted it - deeelish!!

I used Golden Circle Smoothie Juice (Orange, Mango & Passionfruit) and some unsweetened vanilla yoghurt from the Easiyo machine. I put them in a drink shaker to mix & poured it into little iceblock maker thingos. Zander is just finishing his now & he looooved it (so did mummy & Granma!). When those ones are gone we're going to use the Apple, Banana & Mixed Berry smoothie juice.

Definately a winner with the weather heating up

Default Potato & Onion Pikelets

Potato & Onion Pikelets
    (from Aust Women's Weekly - Baby & Toddlers Good Food)
    Makes 8 (but we got more like 12)

Ingredients:
    1 cup SR Flour
    3/4 cup milk
    1 egg
    20gm butter, melted
    1 clove of garlic, crushed
    1 small onion, grated coarsely
    1 small potato, grated coarsely

Directions:
    Place flour in a mixing bowl & gradually stir in combined milk, egg & butter.
    Mix to a smooth batter.
    Stir in remaining ingredients.
    Drop 1/4 cups of mixture into an oiled pan.
    Cook until bubbles appear, turn over & cook until brown.
    Serve with sour cream.
    Last edited by {sarah}; September 28th, 2006 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling

Ok I thought I would post seperately the changes that we made...

* I used 1/2 the amount of onion because Zander isn't a great fan.
    * I used 2 baby potatoes instead of a small regular potato.
    * Instead of 1 clove of garlic I used a teaspoon of bottled crushed garlic.
    * We added in a handful of canned corn with the veges.
    * I used a serving spoon & put about that much in per pikelet rather than a 1/4 cup

They were fantastic & Zander ate 3 :eek: We had them just plain without the sour cream.
    I think they'd be great as well with other veges added in & maybe some cheese. Although they were quite tasty with just the extra corn added in!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast