Thread: 4mnth baby wanting more formula than recommended how common is this pls?

Default 4mnth baby wanting more formula than recommended how common is this pls?

4mnth baby wanting more formula than recommended how common is this pls?

eg instead of 210 with 6 scoops they can easily finish 240 and 8 scoops

is this common?

DD1 was 5 months, mainly breastfed but could polish off her 300ml bottles of formula in care with no problem. She was always well above what the tin said, but if she didnt get what she wanted all hell broke loose. And she was only on 50th percentile to.

as far as i'm concerned, if a child is hungry, feed it. if the bottle is too big, it will spew the excess.

I think it's really common. My girls were like this. You'll probably find that he/she will want heaps at the moment and then in a month or so won't finish half that. Feeding can go up and down regularly. I wouldn't worry about it. I don't believe you can overfeed a baby unless you are trying to feed them when they don't want it. If they are drinking it without a fight, then I would assume that they are hungry. Keep an eye on weight gain and if you are worried see your MCHN. It really does sound normal to me though

The measurements on the side of the tin are guidelines. As long as you are making the formula up with the appropriate number of scoops to water, it doesn't matter if the baby prefers more or less than the age range on the tin suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
    The measurements on the side of the tin are guidelines. As long as you are making the formula up with the appropriate number of scoops to water, it doesn't matter if the baby prefers more or less than the age range on the tin suggests.
    :yeahthat:

My DD is 10 months and when she has a formula feed, she only has 200ml although 250+ is recommended for her age. They are only recommendations as all babies are different - they're all little individuals with individual feeding requirements

I agree with everything that has been said above. Don’t be surprised if in a few weeks your baby wants less than what it says on the tin

Both of my boys were big drinker always had more for their ages, it wasn't doing any harm and they weren't on solids.
    but they do go up n down with how much they do want. my eldest when he was born an hr after he was drinking 180mls and did so for 5 weeks then dropped off