Thread: Is anyone concerned by BPA?

Default Is anyone concerned by BPA?

Is anyone concerned about the latest research and marketing of FEED YOUR PRECIOUS BABY SAFELY with BPA Free bottles free of phthalates and free of bisphenol A (BPA)? a suspected hormone-disrupting chemical used in polycarbonate plastic, from which most baby bottles are made.

I'd like to know if I should be worried about the possible effects on our baby and switch to the ridiculously expensive approximately $20 for a 150ml bottle PES plastic, which gives them a natural golden colour or glass bottles to protect her from the supposed Adverse Health Effects of Bisphenol A Including:
    ?early onset of puberty,?obesity,?diabetes,?hyperactivity,?increas e in aggression
    ?changes in response to painful or fear-provoking stimuli,?impaired learning and memory,?reversal of normal sex differences in the brain structure,?elimination of sex differences in behavior,?decreased maternal behavior,?impaired immune function,
    ?breast cancer,?prostate disease and cancer,?sperm defects,?impaired female reproductive development and?miscarriage

My littel one in seven months old and when she first went onto the nottle I searched everywhere for glass bottles which I couldn't find that wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg. Since then I have made the switch to glass. I figure better be safe than sorry. I found an nline chemist in Australia and they cost around $3.50ish from memory.

They are slightly heavier than the plastic but my little one has held her bottle from a cery young age and has no troubles holding these bottles.

I prefer to have peace of mind. Let me know if you want the name of the Chemist.

I definately will not be using BPA plastic bottles, even for me and DP I only store our food/drink in either glass or plastic which has the number 5 on the bottom (made from polypropylene which is BPA free). I havent started reseaching alternative baby bottles yet but where I used to work in the UK we sold strengthened glass ones which werent too expensive, so im hoping they sell them here somewhere.

kts64s- I would love the name of the online place where you found glass bottles!

Sorry if I am not ment to post the website address but it Payless Chemists - Homepage - Online Chemist / Pharmacy - Managing Your Health. Hope this helps.

Happy Baby are an Australian company who make strengthened glass bottles for about $6 each, thats what i will use for the next bub. Just search on Google, i was loopking at them on a site yesterday but can't remember what it was

This was taken from the safemama site...Check it out for more
    info.

BPA Free Bottle Products

* Adiri Natural Nursers
    * Avent ?Via? disposable bottles
    * BornFree - All bottles and cups BPA free *see note
    * EvenFlo: Glass bottles, Classic Tinted Polypropylene bottles
    * Playtex Opaque Soft Bottle, Playtex Drop in liners
    * Gerber: Gerber Clearview, Fashion Tints (also called ?Plastic Pastels?), Gerber GentleFlow
    * Medela: All bottles
    * Sassy MAM bottles (UltiVent), Baby Food Nurser Kit
    * Green to Grow Bottles **see note
    * Sassy Baby Food Nurser Kit
    * ThinkBaby Bottles
    * Momo Glass Bottles
    * Nuby: Standard Neck Non-Drip Bottle, Wide-Neck Non-Drip Bottle, Wide-Neck Bottle with Handles and Non-Drip Nipple, Standard Neck Bottle with Handles and Non-Drip Nipple, 3-Stage Wide Neck Easy Grip Feeding System with Non-Drip Nipple.
    * Nuture Pure Glass bottles
    * Babisil Silbottles
    * Weego Glass Bottles
    * Siliskin Glass Bottles
    * Dr Brown?s: Glass Bottles (all vent system pieces BPA Free), Dr. Browns Polypropylene bottles (due in store?s April 15th)
    * Parent?s Choice Bottles (available at Walmart) - box is marked BPA Free

BPA Free Sippy Cups

* Avent Magic Cups
    * Playtex: Coolster Tumbler, Insulator, Einstein Training Cup, Sipster, Create My Own, Quick Straw, Insulator Sport, Sip and Discover, First Sipster
    * Gerber: Sip & Smile Spill-proof Cup, Easy Grip Insulated Soft Straw Cup, Insulated Cool Cup, Fun Grips Color Change Spill-proof Cup, Grins & Giggles Spill-proof Cup (source)
    * BornFree sippy/drinking cups
    * Kleen Kanteen
    * Thermos Foogo Sippy Cups, and drinking bottle with straw
    * SIGG Toddler Water Bottles
    * Kid Basix The Safe Sippy
    * Boon Sippy
    * GrowPure Multi-Stage Feeder and Sippy Cup
    * iPlay Aqua Bottle
    * ThinkBaby Training Cup
    * Sassy Snack Time Infa-Trainer Cup
    * Munchkin: Cupsicle, Cupsicle Straw Cup, Big Kid Sippy Cup, Mighty Grip Flip Straw Cup, Mighty Grip Trainer Cup, licensed character Sports Bottles, Re-usable Straw Cups, Re-usable Spill-proof Cups
    * Nuby: No-Spill Sports Sipper, Insulated Soft Silicone Spout Cup, Soft Spout Easy Grip Cup, Gripper Cup with Soft Silicone Spout, 2-Handle Cup, Tinted Mega Sipper
    * The First Years: Take & Toss, Spill-proof Cup, Insulated Cup, Licensed character sippy cups, Insulated Spill-proof Cup, 2 Handled Cups

BPA Free Milk/Liquid Storage

* Avent Via 8-oz. Nurser Kit
    * Avent Snack Cup / Formula Dispenser
    * Mother?s Milkmate Storage bottles
    * Medela Milk Storage bottles and breastpump accessories
    * Playtex Breastmilk storage kit
    * Lansinoh? Breastmilk Storage Bags
    * Lansinoh? Breastmilk Storage Bottles
    * Gerber Breastmilk Storage Bags
    * Dr. Brown?s Breastmilk Storage Bags

BPA Free Baby Food / Food Storage

* So Easy Fresh Baby Food Kit
    * Baby Cubes baby food storage system
    * Laptop Lunch System

I think I heard on the radio that Canada has passed legislation banning the manufacture of baby bottles with BPA plastic.

found this:

Canada leads way with ban on baby bottles containing bisphenol A
    Sarah Schmidt, Canwest News Service
    Published: Friday, April 18, 2008

OTTAWA - The government announced Friday that Canada will be the first country to ban plastic baby bottles with bisphenol A after concluding the chemical is toxic.

Health Minister Tony Clement unveiled the "precautionary and prudent" move while trying to calm fears with a limited ban of the widely used chemical, also found in hard plastic sports bottles and tin cans of food and infant formula. Most Canadians "need not be concerned" about the health effects of bisphenol A, but Clement said "this is not the case for newborns and infants."

"We have concluded that early development is sensitive to the effects of bisphenol A," Clement, joined by Environment Minister John Baird, told an audience that included new mothers and their babies.
    Email to a friendEmail to a friendPrinter friendlyPrinter friendly
    Font:

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

"Although our science tells us that exposure levels to newborns and infants are below the levels that cause effects, we believe that the current safety margin needs to be higher. We have concluded that it is better to be safe than sorry."

The main source of exposure for babies is through migration of bisphenol A from boiling water poured into polycarbonate baby bottles and from can linings into liquid infant formula.

Research on laboratory animals shows that bisphenol A is an estrogenic hormone disrupter that causes reproductive damage and may lead to prostate and breast cancer in adulthood.

Clement said canned infant formula remains a concern, but government will work with industry to establish codes of practice to reduce the amount of bisphenol A in the linings of cans and set migration targets for the toxin.

Judy Wasylycia-Leis, health critic for the New Democrats, said this sends a confusing message to parents; the NDP welcomes a partial ban, but wants the ban to extend to all food and beverage containers with BPA, including all products designed to feed infants.

"The minister has left people in a very precarious position, claiming it's a toxic substance, but not making a firm recommendation to parents not to use any product with bisphenol A."

The proposed baby-bottle ban and recommendation to list bisphenol A as a toxic substance under the Canadian Environmental Protection Act is now subject to a 60-day public consultation period.

The plastics industry had petitioned Ottawa to keep bisphenol A on the market as part of this ongoing risk assessment. It now has two months to present any new information.

If none is forthcoming, the chemical will be declared officially a toxin, and a ban of plastic baby bottles with BPA will be in place within 12 months.

This will mark the first time Ottawa uses the toxin designation under the environmental protection law to ban a consumer product.

"As minister of the environment, I firmly believe that leadership means going first. Clearly, our government is willing to take bold steps to make this tough decision to protect the health of Canadians, particularly our youngest and most vulnerable," Baird said.

The Conservatives announced a comprehensive review of 200 potentially dangerous chemicals, including bisphenol A, early in its mandate as part of a plan to upstage the Liberals in an area where they failed to act during their long tenure in government - the regulation of chemicals that are harmful to human health or the environment.

Environmental and consumer-rights organizations, both domestic and international, were quick on Friday to praise the move as unprecedented and internationally significant.

"This is a decisive step. It is a precedent-setting step. Canada becomes the first jurisdiction in the world to take action with the toxic chemical, and this sends a clear message to the plastics industry that it needs to be reformulating its products," said Rick Smith, executive director of Environmental Defence.

"Invariably, one of the obstacles to banning BPA is no federal authority in the world has ruled against BPA. The decision in Canada is likely to unleash a torrent of state-based actions as long as the U.S. federal government remains dormant on this issue. It's really important what Canada is doing. It's showing immense leadership," said Peter Myers, chief scientist of the Virginia-based Environmental Health Sciences.

New moms also welcomed the news of an imminent bank. Melanie Colson of Ottawa has used plastic baby bottles with BPA to feed her son six-month-old son, Corben. "For new moms like me, who just don't know, they won't accidentally buy something that's got BPA in it."

The American Chemistry Council was quick to try to limit the effects of Canada's move. The council had hired the former deputy national director of the Liberal party to convince Ottawa to keep bisphenol A on the market, including in baby products.

In a statement, the council said Health Canada's draft assessment released "confirms that health risks to the general population in Canada from exposure to bisphenol A are negligible."

Further, "consumer product bans are not supported by science and are inconsistent with Health Canada's assessment, which found that infants are not exposed to bisphenol A at harmful levels."

The council is turning to the Food and Drug Administration for a reprieve from "the premier food safety agency" after losing the argument in Canada.

Reports about safety concerns of BPA are "unnecessarily confusing and frightening the public," the American Chemistry Council wrote in a new brief to the FDA.

The council is asking for an expedited updated review of the use of bisphenol A in food and beverage containers, including baby bottles to "help explain the extensive scientific review that has already been conducted on this compound."

In the meantime, retailers and manufactures continue to distance themselves from the chemical.

In Canada, Shoppers Drug Mart announced Friday the immediate removal of plastic baby bottles, drinking cups, bottle liners and reusable beverage containers with BPA from store shelves. Earlier this week, other retail giants took similar steps.

In the United States, Wal-Mart announced it is phasing out its BPA products in their baby aisles, and expects to only sale BPA-free baby products by early next year.

Nalgene Outdoor Products, a unit of New York-based Thermo Fisher Scientific that produces the popular water bottle Nalgene, announced Thursday it would stop using plastic because of safety concern over its key ingredient, BPA.

Smith says is the beginning of the end for bisphenol A.

"What's going to happen here is that market forces are going to take over. We've already seen this in the last few days. There's no product manufacturer on the face of this planet that is going to want to put a product that has been officially labeled as toxic in their bottles, whether it's water bottles or baby bottles or tin cans."

so is BPA only dangerous if heated in microwave or just putting food or beverage in it all together?
    I definitely will be using BPA free this bub.

I bought the Nuby bottles from Target, 9 bucks each and they come with a sipper cup teat as well as handles.

They are BPA free and fit other wide neck teats because I use pigeon teats.

Also Toys R Us is having a sale on glass bottles. They are better looking than the happy baby one. 3 for $17.95

The Happy baby ones can be bought from Coles and IGA (seen them there) Prices vary, but approx 5 bucks each. I dont like the teats they look scary!!!

Does anyone know where I can get wide neck glass bottles though? Been looking everywhere for these.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixml View Post
    Does anyone know where I can get wide neck glass bottles though? Been looking everywhere for these.
    I don't know if they exist........but you can get Pigeon teats for narrow neck/standard size bottles

Yeh I hate the standard necks because I always spill formula around it!! LOL

Ive seen it once, this little kid dropped it on the floor at the supermarket and the glass broke, so I am assuming it would be alot thinner than the standard neck ones

I was just going to post the article that Bath posted. Beat me to it Bath! There are wide neck glass bottles - I've got 'em. The brand name is Chicco, and they're pretty nice. The only down side is that I could find them just in a 5oz (150ml) size. A bigger baby needs a bigger bottle, I've found. Good for little ones though. I've also got a couple of the standard neck evenflo ones that are 8oz (250ml). I haven't noticed a difference in quality or "breakable-ness" - both will break if dropped on to concrete, but are fine of dropped onto wood/linoleum/carpet. They also have silicon "sleeves" that you can get to protect the glass bottles if you are going outside. I've only seen them in the tall slim 8oz size, but you might be able to come up with more if you google. Toy R Us carries them here. It just slips over the bottle like a sock, kind of.

News article today at news dot com dot au

CANADIAN health officials have declared that bisphenol A is toxic and plan to ban baby bottles made with the chemical.

In a world first, Canadian regulators will prohibit the sale, import and advertising of the chemical in baby products from next year, according to Health Canada, the country's federal health agency.

Canada's action is directed only at products for young children. The health officials found no cause for concern in older children or adults.

Bisphenol A, developed as an estrogen replacement, is used to make hard, clear plastic. It is used commonly in baby bottles, the lining of food and beverage cans, CDs, eyeglasses and dental sealants.

Studies in the past several years have linked it to cancer, heart disease, obesity, reproductive failures, hyperactivity and autism in laboratory animals.

The effects of bisphenol A have been found at extremely low doses.
    The scary bit is that the effects have been found at extremely low doses =(

queenbee Guest

yep i got rid of my AVENT ones a while ago and bought SASSY MAM ULTIVENT bottles
    Last edited by queenbee; October 21st, 2008 at 12:44 PM.

HERE is a piccy of two of my favourite BPA free products: Sigg flask and Happy Baby glass bottle.

Both highly recommended.