thread: demand formula feeding?

BellyBelly Member

Feb 2008
    Down Under

demand formula feeding?

Today Bella has been (well what it seems like) demand formula feeding.
    She was only having between 50-80 mls per feed and feeding every 2 hours give or take 30 mins.
    Is that ok for her to be doing that?

Add Kazbah on Facebook Follow Kazbah On Twitter

Sep 2006
    Dandy Ranges ;)

Pip went through something similar, it coincided with a developmental leap. He settled down after a week or so

Dec 2007
    Sunny Qld

Yeah I did this with DD from birth - let her dictate the feeding times and amount rather than following what was recommended on the side of the tin - cos she just wasn't like it (ie, she just wasn't like her brother who fed every 4 hours!!)

So I just gave her what she would take every time she wanted it - which was every 2 hours. Around 3 months I think she went to 3 hourly?

BellyBelly Member

Jul 2006
    Logan

Yep it is fine. I found feeding patterns changed around developmental or growth spurts and then settled down again.

BellyBelly Member

Dec 2007
    Taking a ride on my grdonkey :D

Yeah my DD was always a greedy little thing... at a couple of checkups with her the doctor told me I had to 'stop feeding her so much' because she was in the 97th percentile for height and weight, and she was feeding every hour or two without fail. I tried sticking to the 4-hourly feeds she recommended, but DD just screamed and screamed and screamed, so I fed her whenever she wanted it and she's never suffered for it - the weight all fell off when she started crawling/walking, and she settled into 3/4-hourly feeds when she wasn't going through growth spurts.

I don't think there's much difference between demand breast-feeding and demand formula-feeding - all babies are different, and have different needs, so as long as bub is thriving and happy, don't take too much to heart the advice of a tin of formula or people who aren't with bub all the time!!