Thread: DS and his feeding

Default DS and his feeding

DS is almost 14 months old.

He has been on formula since he was born.

At one stage he liked the cows milk, and wouldn't drink formula. Then it started giving him pains, so we went back to the formula.

Now Im trying to get him used to cows milk, so after Ive made up the formula, I add a bit of cows milk in. When I do this, he still gets the pains.

He won't drink milk or water from a sipper or normal cup, but is sometimes happy to drink water from his bottle. He is only having 2-3 bottles a day of formula, and the most he will drink is 150ml. He still has heaps of wet nappies, and is happy during the day.

He eats a variety of foods.

How can I get him used to cows milk and drink from a sipper cup??

I have to run to the stove, so this will be quick.....but it sounds as though he may have a problem tolerating cows milk, and that may be why he won't drink it. I would look further into this before encouraging him to drink it.

If you want to concentrate on the sippy cup 'training'... I'd keep him on formula in the sippy cup. Introduce it that way, so that he knows the sippy cup has the same in it as his bottles... so it's not evil. (lol).
    Then when he gets used to that... working on the cows milk idea.

Thanks mummas.

Janie- He has cows milk on his weetbix and he has ski d'lite yoghurt.

Nicky- Might try that. Thanks chick!

Kyson LOVES his sippy cup with water in it, but if I put cows milk in it he spits it out and throws the sippy cup to the ground. Then he's really suspicious of the sippy cup for a couple of days and I worry that he won't drink water from it. I tried giving him a different sort of sippy cup for milk (one with a straw) in case he sort of expects the normal sippy cup to have water, but he still won't touch the cows milk (and also hates the straw, lol). To be honest, I've given up on trying to give him cows milk at the moment. He eats yoghurt and some cheese, and is still getting breastfeed 3-4 times a day.

I guess in your situation I'd probably just try to persist by putting just the tiniest amounts of cows milk into his formula and slowly increasing it over time. I'd do that in his bottle for now so that it's not a huge change for him. As for getting him used to the sippy cup, have you tried it with just water in it? That's how we got Kyson to drink from a sippy cup

KL- Yep, Ive tried water and diluted juice. Ive brought so many brands of sippy cups, it's not funny! I could just see Kyson throwing it and then being suspicious. hehehe.

Default DS and his feeding

Sorry Hun I can't be much help jade took to cows milk and sippy cup fine. But if you're sure he is getting pains from the cows milk keep him on the formula for now and book in to c your GP x

have you tried water from a water bottle? maybe with a kala cup top on it? E is a good water drinker, but given the option of her sipper cup or MY water bottle, she chooses my water all the time - we have started putting the tops from her kala drink cups on a bottle of water and she is all over it...

if you're concerned about keeping his fluids up, can you feed him extra fruit for the fluids in it?

as to introducing cows milk, i have NFI on that one sorry hun!