Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Formula Feeding General Chatter

Hi Rhichichi
    Thanks for the idea. The thing is, she's already loving the bottle. She gets very excited and she loves to hold it herself. And afterwards she is so happy too. She was never like that with an ebm bottle. I guess I'm just a bit lost, she was such a booby girl (5 feeds a day) then suddenly stopped. She did have a blocked nose but she is better now, I think maybe she's just not interested in booby anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs P View Post
    Hi Rhichichi
    Thanks for the idea. The thing is, she's already loving the bottle. She gets very excited and she loves to hold it herself. And afterwards she is so happy too. She was never like that with an ebm bottle. I guess I'm just a bit lost, she was such a booby girl (5 feeds a day) then suddenly stopped. She did have a blocked nose but she is better now, I think maybe she's just not interested in booby anymore.
    Maybe try a Nuby cup instead of a bottle? You're probably going to want to get the bottle off her soon so a cup for milk? The nuby brand ones have a completely silicone top and are grippy shaped. Most woolies and Targets sell them. They are still soft topped like a bottle but not a bottle ITMS. Just speaking from experience that bottles can be a PITA! At the end of the day do whatever feels right hun!

HTH

Thanks CL we use the Nuby cups for water at the moment. I've tried a straw cup for water but she can't drink from a straw yet! I've heard it's better to keep water and milk cups separate... Will have to come up with something! May keep the bottles until she can drink her water from a straw, and then switch. What do you use for water?

Hi,
    Some posters have asked *why is it recommended that you continue to breastfeed for 2 years and beyond, but that you cease formula at 12 months*
    The fact of the matter is that formula has a deficit of nutrients. Despite the advertising, formula is not breastmilk, and doesn not have the nutrients breastmilk does, and what it does have is not easily digested by the baby. If babies continue on formula they are likely to have nutritional deficits. Where a baby is no longer breastfed they are better to have cows milk (in limited quantities) and a varied solid diet, this will give a better nutritional outcome.

Brisbane - where it is never like it should be.

I am so over formula I wish my body had left me bf. I think I am on formula 5/6. We were doing fine on the Heinz nurture and my gp told me DS has reflux. I have no idea how she came to that. He doesn't throw up. Yea he was feeding every 2 hours but that's no reason. He would have a little dribble after a burp but that's it. I started adding thickener but that was annoying me so I bought novalac reflux well lasted 2 feeds he was so Ferral. Karicare sent me free tin of their AR formula and now I have a baby that is pooing every few hours. Arghhhh someone tell me what to do. Could this formula be causing my boy to have bright red dry cheeks or could the pooing and cheeks be teething already?

Kylz-Have you tried NAN HA GOLD i went through 9 formulas before i went back to nan as i found that was the one she least played up on and after a few days she got even better on it hardly any wind and she only brings up a tiny bit with each burp i add one scoop of thickner to help with her reflux and honestly you wouldnt know she even has reflux now.
    NAN HA gold has 100% whey protein and no casin i found any formula that had casin in it Ella was horrible on it and very windy the only down side is casin is supose to fill them up for longer (SMA is 80% casin for hungry babies) so they go longer between feeds where Ella will only go 5-6 hours at most but i would rather have a happy baby wake every 5 hours for a feed then a cranky nightmare baby go 8 hours overnight but play up inbetween.

Omg I don't believe that with sma at all I went through 2 tins and was still feeding every 2 hrs. This seems ok I'm just trying to work out why the pooing all the time now.

I'm pretty lucky he generally has last bottle at 7 and goes to bed 8-830 and only wakes at 230 although last few nights it's been 4-430

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs P View Post
    Thanks CL we use the Nuby cups for water at the moment. I've tried a straw cup for water but she can't drink from a straw yet! I've heard it's better to keep water and milk cups separate... Will have to come up with something! May keep the bottles until she can drink her water from a straw, and then switch. What do you use for water?
    ah, we used straw for water of one of the silicone topped sippers. DD was on bottles until about 16 months old (hard habit to break until she was ready). DD is 2 now so we use normal cups for water and her sipper thing of a night aftert her bath (she gets to clumsy for a normal cup by that time.

Kylz-Yeh i know what you mean about the SMA is say's for hungry babies on the tin but ella still fed every 4 hours on it but OMG! did she have belly pain.

The karicare ella pooed heaps to and brought up a lot and i tried the AR and lactose free.

The reason i know ella cant handle the casin after trying so many formula's and she was terrible on all except the 100%whey one is i tried to give her Nan pro which has 70% whey and 30% casin and striaght away after finishing the bottle the moaning and groaning and wind pain started and she was terrible so i went straight back to Nan HA i am to chicken to change to another formula now she is so sensitive with her milk.
    She had a bottle at 7pm went to bed at 8pm woke for a bottle at 12am and the again at 5:30 so not to bad i am hoping she will drop that 12am feed before i go back to work fingers crossed.

I have spent $180 on formula tins that didnt agree with her and went in the bin

Yep that Novalac is sitting full less 3 bottles in the pantry. I feel so stupid for even listening to the GP. I think the thickener is helping to keep him fuller but i def dont think he has reflux. The way im going with all this poo im going to need to buy shares in huggies.

Just want to shout to the world that Alannah has been s.l.o.w.l.y. increasing the amount she drinks everyday. Since last Tuesday it has been like this -
    Tuesday - 44omls
    Wed - 480mls
    Thursday - 485ml
    Friday - 495mls
    Sat - 495mls again
    Sun - 505mls
    Monday - 525ml

I am soooo stoked!!!! I was supposed to get her weighed today because of her low intake but a you can see she is on the increase and is also now feeding herself more or less (solids). Plus drinking about 200mls of water as well throughout the day! She loves her water!!!

Nice to have a place to shout that out to the world instead of people saying 'You know breast is best' lol

xxxxx

Looking for a place to chat.

DD is a 16mo ex34 weeker. I expressed for 8 weeks and due to supply issues switched DD to formula. I wasn't producing enough milk and wasn't going to let her starve.

Just ing!

Hi Charlotte,

My two boys were / are on formula. Both doing great.

What brand did you use? What are your thoughts on feeding for your second?

Fiona

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I be back when I wake up a bit lol

Hi just wondering if I can join in I started ff ds after expressing for 4 days because he was sleepy and wouldn't open his mouth big enough and i became too unwell to continue which annoys me because I had a huge milk supply, yes guilt here too that my body wasn't able to cope after giving birth

I started off with S26 Gold (because it's supposed to be good). With DD's delicated bowels, it was horrible. So badly constipated, medication wouldn't even help. She would scream from sun up to.... well, sun up.
    So, that didn't last long. Switched to Nan Gold, and that was OK for a while. But, the best we've found is Heinz Nurture. We've kept her on the 6 month stuff, even though she's 16mos.
    She still on nearly all formula, even though we are started to add a little bit of Oat Milk (she can't have cow milk) to her bottles which are helping her bowels even more. It's so good. Going to see her surgeon soon for her next surgical review, hopefully the last for a while, and talk to him about slowly weaning her off formula. But, it doesn't really bother me, if she stays on formula til she's 3 then I know she's getting some goodness into her. Rather than just Oat Milk, or Lactose Free whatever we choose. Especially since she's so small, I'm worried that her weight will suffer if we just cut off formula.

For Beez (due in 10 weeks!), I'm hoping to breastfeed. It's something that I really wanted to do with DD, and I want to breastfeed for at least a year or more. But, if things don't happen, like supply issues again, then he can go on formula. It's not a big deal to me. I think breastfeeding is just ultra-convenient. Whip out a boobie, rather than sterilising bottles and having warm water and all that.

Most my issues with not breastfeeding DD, was that the hospital wanted her on 'suck feeds' and bottles were easier and they knew how much she was getting. So, bottles were easier. I eventually ran out of EBM and didn't have any milk left. I know now, after reading stuff, that I could have gotten my supply up again. But, the past is the past.

Welcome, Jelly!

Default Re: Formula Feeding General Chatter

Although this thread seems to be quite dead, I wanted to ask you which formulas you generally use? Is it important for you that they are organic? I usually buy the ones from Holle (from: https://myorganicformula.com/collections/holle-organic-formula), since my little one seems to quite enjoy it. Before that we tried the one from Hipp, but he kept spitting it up, so we switched to Holle and now it seems to be fine. What do your little ones like the most?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567