Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Formula at young age?

~Belinda~ Guest

Default Formula at young age?

Has anyone given up breastfeeding because it's just way too painful and gone onto formula? I am not entertaining the idea just yet but it's so painful to breastfeed so I am expressing at the moment. Just interested to know whether people have succeeded in putting their Bubs on formula at such a young age? I hear so much about breastfeeding is best, even if your nipples are cracked and bleeding.

Bindy - I put DS onto formula when he was 2.5 days old as I couldn't handle the pain, my BP was sky high and I was stressing out so much it just wasn't a good environment for the bub. Plus, if I had continued, i feel sure that I would have got some sort of depression for it. I felt great relief when I switched to formula and it was the right decision for us. I tried him on Nan ha as that was what the hospital had, and then a few weeks later switched him to s26 gold when he got constipation. He has been fine since then. So no problems here. HTH.

Jasmine was on formula and EBM/and BF from about 4 days old. I stopped EBM/BF at 2 weeks old

Dear Bindy,

Nearly all breastfeeding problems are can be solved - and pretty quickly. what you need is a good LC - not a tin of formula. You have the chance to resolve whatever it is that is going on. There are plenty of great LCs in Brisbane - would you like me to recommend some?
    Breastfeeding is something that needs to be done with support - it's not something you should struggle on with alone. You are not meant to solve this alone or know what to do. Save the money you would otherwise spend on formula - get a lactation consultant.
    Warm Regards
    Barb

We were comp feeding from almost the beginning. We lasted 6 weeks before DD went to only formula.

A friend of mine has just had a DS and she stopped BFing because (after a few weeks and attending LC classes) after 4 weeks stopped persevering with BFing and went onto formula alone.

HTH

MG

~Belinda~ Guest

Thanks Barb, can you recommend one? Thanks so much xxoo

Quote Originally Posted by Barb Glare View Post
    Dear Bindy,

Nearly all breastfeeding problems are can be solved - and pretty quickly. what you need is a good LC - not a tin of formula. You have the chance to resolve whatever it is that is going on. There are plenty of great LCs in Brisbane - would you like me to recommend some?
    Breastfeeding is something that needs to be done with support - it's not something you should struggle on with alone. You are not meant to solve this alone or know what to do. Save the money you would otherwise spend on formula - get a lactation consultant.
    Warm Regards
    Barb

Bindy, I'll never forget the first few weeks of breast feeding both my boys. My younger son in particular had tongue tie which made feeding particuarly painful. I had scabs on both my nipples and I dreaded every feed but with the support of my DH and some help from the community midwives (one of them was an ABA counsellor so she was amazing) I worked through it and came out the other side.
    It seems hard to believe but you will reach a point where breastfeeding is easy and pleasurable.
    A good LC will make a world of differance and if your partner goes along with you he'll be able to help you at home.
    For now a couple of panadol can help with the pain (although you can't keep taking them) without affecting bubs.

Hi,

I would recommend Bridget Ingle in Apsley Practice Name:
    Phone BH: 07 3862 8332
    Phone AH: 0417 190 878

Barb

I agree with Chloe, a good support person can make all the difference. In hospital I was actually expressing blood after I had riley but with the help of the LC and nipple shields and a couple of panadols before some feeds I managed to feed him until he self weaned at 14 months.

~Belinda~ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barb Glare View Post
    Hi,

I would recommend Bridget Ingle in Apsley Practice Name:
    Phone BH: 07 3862 8332
    Phone AH: 0417 190 878

Barb
    Thanks Barb, that is near me! Oh I am so grateful, will give her a call. Thanks again, you're the best!

Good luck Bindy, and i hope you are able to solve your b/feeding problems. If not, take heart in the knowledge that, whilst "breast is best", so is a happy and healthy mummy and baby. If you feel B/F isnt for you, you are not a bad person, you havent failed, and you are not alone. So many of us have been where you are now.
    I had issues with Aiden, ended up 80% ebm/20%formula, then, by 10weeks, 100% formula. I tore myself to peices in the decision, but, Aiden is fine, growing happily and is very healthy.
    We are all told the B/Feeding comes naturally, and is an enjoyable pleasant experince, and i think it then comes abit of a shock when sometimes, it doesnt actually happen like that. For some of us, it takes time, and practise. Practise for both us, and our little ones. I think the fact that sometimes it doesnt happen so 'naturally and painfree' makes us feel like failures before we have had the chance to sort things out.
    Talk to these people recommended by Barb, and give it a go, but, if it doesnt work out, then remember that you havent failed, and your baby will still grow to be a happy, and healthy bub on formula.

Good on you Bindy......I know how hard it is, but a good LC will make all the difference for you, I'm sure.

Don't forget that we're all here to support you as well

~Belinda~ Guest

Thanks everyone, will be calling the LC that Barb recommended to me tomorrow still not breastfeeding, has been a few days so nipples have healed really well. I am still expressing though so Bub is getting all the nutrients she needs for now, it's no big deal expressing but I know it will be ALOT EASIER when she can just go on my booby...will let you all know how I go. Thanks for your support.

I'm glad you've got a way forward now Bindy. All the best with your visit to the LC

~Belinda~ Guest

Have not called LC as yet...have breastfed the last couple of days and going ok so far. My nipples have healed well but my milk was a bit low a couple of days ago when I was expressing so I just put Maddie back on them. Now I have milk everywhere!! If I have any issues though, I will call Bridget, thanks again Barb, you are a lifesaver...

What great news Bindy!! Hope this is the start of a wonderful bf experience for you and Maddie.

Well done Bindy. That is fantastic news. Keep up the great work.

Ellibam Guest

thats great that you have her back on the boob!!
    just try and make sure she attaches right, now so you dont end up with cracked nipples again(i learnt that the hard way but am still b/fing)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast