Thread: Fussing with the bottle at feed time

Default Fussing with the bottle at feed time

Help please lovelies! My 5 week old had started to fuss at feeding time with the bottle. I know she is hungry but when I give her the bottle she opens her mouth as wide as she can baring her gums (almost like she is getting ready to bite) and thrashes her head from side to side. She sometimes closes her mouth around the nipple end and then pushes it out with her tongue or reopens her mouth. Sometimes she doesn't close her mouth at all and gags on the milk that has dripped into her throat (we use Avent bottles). If I take the bottle away she cries and carries on but if I re-offer it, it is just more of the same... We've never had a problem with these bottles or teats before and she has been using the current set of teats for over a week without problem. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I've tried changing her position during feeding time, location etc and it hasn't made a difference. She is worse when DH feeds her but seems to be fine during the over night feeds (bet she plays up tonight now )

TIA

MG

I use avent bottles & when Emelia did that i changed the teats to number 2 then again to 3 when she did the same thing. it was like it wasnt coming out fast enough!...wat number are u using?

I may be totaly of track with this but i could be due to silent reflux my DD has servere reflux and it realy afects the feedign i would sugest talking to the pead about it as seh may need some medication it is harder to diagnose if she doesnt puke but silent reflux can be really bad

We're using size 2 at the moment. DH thought maybe we should swap back to size one to see if it makes a difference - do you think it's a case of not getting enough>

PC - we have the same sort of thing, leave it a bit and try again.

MM - I don't think she has SR because she is happy to eat laying totally flat but not half reclined as she should

Default Mother Goose Please reply!

Sorry for my late reply, MG...but I just came across this thread and my DD is doing the exact same thing - happy lying flat but not half reclined. Very fussy/upset at feed time...I am at my wits end and don't know what to do...did you work it out? What happened? Please reply!!

Hi Bella,

DD still does it from time to time and I have noticed it is more common when she is tired or when she isn't overly hungry.
    Whilst she mostly out grew this wonderful habit, I also have a few "tactics" I use when it reoccurs. I either remove the bottle and have a little play before offering it again. Or, I give her the dummy to get her into "sucking mode" and then do a quick swap back to the bottle. I also sing to her - works a treat but I am SO sick of singing the same song over and over!

HTH. Persevere - it does stop.

MG

Hi MG!
    Thank you so much for replying - I have been struggling with this issue for a few weeks now. I agree that it mostly happens when DD isn't overly hungry. I will definitely be using your tricks from now on.