Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where to get the cheapest formula

Default where to get the cheapest formula

Hi guys,

My daughter is being taken off cows milk by her paediatric dietician, and put on formula so we can concentrate it. At this stage we are going to use Isomil, as it is non dairy based (not that she has a milk allergy, but it is the easiest for us kosher wise, and the dieitican didn't care which one it is). If she doesn't like this, i will have to find something else.

Anyway, i have basically never bought formula before in my life, but it seems we will be going through quite a lot of it, along with lots of other medical costs for my daughter.

Can anyone advise where you get the cheapest formula? Is it supermarkets having a sale, discount pharmacies etc?

Thanks so much.

usually I check out the larger supermarkets and chemists, and places like big W and Kmart are also quite good, I live in a semi rural area and our local supermarket will hcarge anywhere from $5-$10 more than what some of the larger stores will charge so its deffinately worth a look around, I guess the best thing to do is keep your eyes open for any specials etc and if you do see a good one grab a few tins to last a month or so so that by the next time you are out looking for it it may well be time for it to go on sale again kwim?

I find Chemist Warehouse cheapest

If it is for a medical reason can you get a prescription for it? That may make it cheaper. I have never heard of that brand of formula. I get mine from big W or Kmart. They are usually the cheapest.
    You could also try buying direct from the copmpany. A bulk box may be cheaper too.

It seems that unless you use one of the more common, cheaper brands (S26, Heinz) the discount pharmacies are the way to go.

We use Nan HA - it's usually $27 in Coles, but was on special for $23 this week. It's usually around the same price in BigW. However, it's $22 at the discount pharmacy closest to home and $21 at the one that's 20 minutes away. Seems to be about $24-$25 in most regular chemists. It's certainly worth keeping an eye open for specials, but they don't seem to happen that often.

BW

I found pharmacies like chemist warehouse a lot less expensive that supermarkets - up to $7 a can.
    If its for medical reasons there are non-dairy formulas that you can get on prescription which should reduce the cost as well.

Thanks for that guys.

I didn't know you can get it on prescription, i will talk to the GP/Dieitician & Paed.

We are also starting on special suppliments, through the Homeward Hens program (anyone else heard of it), but I'm finding this all a bit much to take in at the moment.

i always get my formula from chemist because there always cheapest i find when i go to supermarket your always paying $7 to $8 more which i find that can go on nappies etc and not on the exact same product which i can get cheaper at the chemist. i get all my baby products from the chemist like nappies,formula,panodol ect but i find big w better for soaps and shampoos cheaper.

I always found big w to be the cheapest, the particular formula Noah was on was $10 cheaper at big w compared to woolies!

I also found the Chemist Warehouse to be the cheapest when i had to briefly resort to formula.... significantly cheaper.

Yael, I hope you are able to find everything you need to help out your DD. This must be a tough thing to deal with.

Yael, I hope you are getting whatever help you need ATM. I would second the idea of seeing if you can get a suitable formula on prescription.

May I ask what issues you're having with cow's milk, and Nechama's health? Please don't feel pressured to answer if you're uncomfortable with it. Hang in there hun

Actually, I found my local Amcal pharmacy to be cheaper than The Chemist Warehouse for everything - esp formula. It was only a couple of dollars cheaper than CW but still cheaper!

Yael - I'd def talk to DD's paed or GP and get that script. From memory it is only about $5 if you have a script. Why pay $15+ if you only have to pay $5?!

Hi Yael,

My DD is on the Hens program, I have expressed full time since birth and they have told me that once I cannot express enough milk for DD's needs I am able to be supplied formula on the Hens program free of charge, I believe they have a standard range (not sure what is included) but you may be able to get a specific brand in if it is for a kosher diet.

I am also in Melbourne and going through the Royal Childrens. It might be worth you asking. I will be enquiring at my next visit on Thursday as my milk supply is really starting to drop. I will let you know what my outcome is also

Also, if I can help with any questions on the Hens program let me know. I am not sure of your reason for using the program but my story is, in short, DD is fed via NGT, the hospital started by giving me a supply of everything that I would require to feed her for 2 months and a list of the items, every 2 months I call up, let them know what I need and then pick it up at her next appointment, otherwise you can pay about $10- to get it delievered, other than that it is FOC as long as you do not overuse as it is only supplied every 2 months (to the day!) If something changes with your DD and you require more/something else to be added discuss with your paed, we were trying to get DD off the tube so they started to supplement her feeds with polyjoule, this was also supplied FOC.

I do not know if that was of any help. Let me know if you do need anything.

Deanne.

Thanks guys for all your support. My cleaning person is here at the moment, so i don't have time to do a huge post about all of DD medical problems, but trust me, a mammoth post is coming.. I have so many questions about everything.

My DD has severe failure to thrive. She is 16 months and not yet 9kg. We tried adding cream and butter to her diet, but basically can't get a decent weight gain on her. On one 4 month period she put on 40g in 4 months. I am beyond stressed about the situation.

I bought a tin of isomil, but DD hates is. There are some other dairy kosher formulas (i think s26, but i have to go get the list out). It isn't quite our level of kosher, hence why we tried the isomil first, but now she won't have that i'll put her on one of the regular dairy ones.

Does anyone know if i try calling the formula companies if they will send me out a few samples. I don't want to buy a tin just so she can try it.

Deanna - i'm still waiting for the HENS people to call me, but i think i'm just going to get it delievered. We are supposed to add polyjoule and calogen to everything she eats. If it doesn't work then i think we are going to have to go down the NGT path

Oh Yael what a serious thing to be worried about. I hope you get some answers as to why and a plan to help her grow as she should.

I found Pulse pharmacies had the best deals, plus a discount card.

Hope you sort out the problems soon *hugs*

Oh Yael, I really hope that the polyjoule, calogen and formula help your DD and you do not have to go down the NGT path.

As far as samples of the formula goes, I have noticed that some companies (seen in chemists) now sell pack of sachets for about $5 a pack of 8 or something near there, this may be another option for you, to buy a pack and see how it goes, however I am sure if you call the companies they should be able to send you 1-2 sachets to try, they will have samples.

My DD has a chromosome deletion and pierre robin sequence, both can contribute to failure to thrive, we have been lucky so far but she is yet to eat solids, so this may be a path we cross in the next year.

I pray that everything works out for you with this step. I know that I do not know you but if you need anything let me know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast