... 56789 ...

thread: Edible garden chatter

Sep 2005
    In the middle of nowhere

Not to be a killjoy, but I don't think you're supposed to give raw potato anything to chooks. It's a night shade vegie and is really not good for them. OK if they're cooked though.Can vouch for the chook poo benefit though.

Dec 2006
    In my own private paradise

i dont' keep chooks, so wasn't sure about what you could or couldn't feed them sorry

sil's folks used to give the chooks the egg shells finely ground up - said it made for stronger shells or something. i thought it all kinds of weird lol

Sep 2005
    In the middle of nowhere

I know I agree....but it really does do the trick....think placenta encapsulation lol.

Dec 2006

We will give the egg shells to the worms. I can handle that thought lol

Jul 2008
    Melbourne

hi everyone, hope you don't,mind me joining.

I have been reading with interest and was inspired to try a few things. we're renting and don't have alot of garden but I've planted a tomato in a pot and I have some cucumber seeds growing in little pots. I have been thinking about a raised garden bed but they seem to vary greatly in price - does anyone have any suggestions or tips? I don't have much to spare but I woulda like to plant a couple more things.

I'm,quite nervous because I am THE WORST gardener, I've never had any success but I'm determined to have a crack this year

Dec 2006

if you want to keep it really cheap, go into your local supermarket and ask the produce people if they have any of the foam boxes the vegies are transported in - they are a great way to start, and not so big as to be immovable weight wise - so you can experiment with places to put them etc. i was also in the local hardware store the other day and they had what looked like a garden in a wheelbarrow - although the base of the barrow part was made of a mesh instead of plastic - and the herbs and things they had growing in there were going great guns.

i wouldn't be able to advise on what type of garden bed to use, but if you're planning on putting it on a grassed area, get landlord approval and then go a cheapish option (timber is cheaper than the metal ones from what i've seen) - maybe see if you can get the materials on freecycle... if you're going to put it on a concrete area, make sure you put in a lot of good quality compost/fertiliser as it will have to be self sufficient. and make sure you have access to something to clean any staining off the concrete when we move out and take it with you (high pressure washer makes the job easy)

Jul 2008
    Melbourne

I would never have thought of the foam boxes, that's a great idea. Thank you

I did see a wooden raised bed in the aldi catalogue but had no idea whether they're any good.

Jul 2009
    Out North, Vic

Can i pop my head in too... we have wanted to start a veggie patch for ages and haven't gotten around to it but at the moment the girls have some rainbow capsicums growing in little seed trays on our bedroom window (11 have sprouted) and some lettuce growing in a pot on the deck.

I'm going to have to get a bigger pot for the lettuce as we have 6 in this long thin one and it's not going to work.

The capsicums i will transplant into a big round tub once they start getting their second lot of leaves through and put them outside and hope they continue to thrive.

I really need to sort out a place for a proper veggie garden and get it setup so we can plant the lettuce and capsicums in there and then strat growing a few more things.

Peas in a pod, carrots, capsicum, baby spinach would be great.

We have fruit trees lining down the hill of our second drive way - orange, mandarin, lemons, apples & pears but they still have a way to go.
    We have an apple tree in the paddock (established and beautiful fruit) aswell as i think plums and i'm not 100% on the tree in the front yard but it hasn't had fruit in the 2yrs we've been here so i cleared out the middle branches and cut off some dead wood and will see how we go now.

2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Aug 2010
    Over the hills and far away

Welcome ZF and sloane. Good luck with your vegie patches. Might be able to hook you up with some railway sleepers for your edging if you're interested ZF.

Add STARRYSKY on Facebook Follow STARRYSKY On Twitter

Aug 2007
    adelaide

so glad I found this thread!

Dp has gone a little overboard this year, bought a green house, put it up on sleepers, dug out half of the ground inside and mixed it up with improved stuff (lol, I'm not much of a gardener) we have 12 tomato plants growing in there, (cherry sweet bite, father toms, romas, theres more too but cant remember) we also have penny royal and another insect deterrent plant in there.
    We have rosemary cuttings that are just rooting, also about 20 chillis, onions, spring onions...
    Have just sowed the carrot seeds, lettuce seeds etc, but dp actually went and bought some hydro lettuces and just planted them in pots, theyre growing really well!

My little input is the herbs, I have sage, parsley ,thyme.. we have garlic chives and peppermint that grow wild in the back yard (they will not stop growing, despite repeated mowing etc..!!)
    We also have a peach tree that is just now in flower (late fruiting around end of March) grape vine that is just starting to grow back, fig tree that is just laden with baby figs at the moment also an avocado tree that is flowering again and still has about 20 massive avos on it. (I think theyre Reed?)

DS and I have a strawberry pot with 5 different types of strawbs growing, so many flowers and fruit coming now, ds is so excited, have to keep explaining to him that he cant pick the flowers and cant eat them until they look like the ones in the picture!! lol

I would really like to get more fruit trees, but this is my father in laws house so DP wants to wait until we get our own I figure we can just get big pots or dwarf varieties...oh well.

DP has a set up that is taking over our spare room, he has made his own little light boxes for his seedlings that have sprouted from seed, we are going to have to give so many away, he has hundreds!! (tomato and chilli)

oh and we also have in the cupboard in the spare room a mushroom box, from bunnings, we have already had a few decent crops of mushies

BellyBelly Member

Dec 2005

I just found some little green tomatoes growing!! So so so excited, I thought they wouldn't fruit!!

-------------------------------------

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BellyBelly Member

Dec 2005

We are going away for 4 days thus week. Is there any sort of self watering contraption I can set up so my babies don't dry out and die? Or do you think they will survive that long without being watered?

-------------------------------------

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 2006

depends on where you live - around here, four days wouldn't be too bad (cos we'd almost be guaranteed rain in there somewhere) - but elsewhere not so much! we're about to dig in a watering system in the next few weeks - when that's done, i'll buy a timer tap so it does it all automatically

Nov 2008
    in the ning nang nong

silly question - what month is it best to plant edible thingies, if planting from seeds?

and what if planting from baby plants?

and what if planting from old veggies?

Dec 2006

it really depends on what edible things you're planting - i'll come back tonight when i have more time and can find it - there is a planting guide about what to plant in what month. seeds are generally better planted and grown on a window sill or hot house for a little while for some vegies, direct in the ground for others - so it's really about knowing what you want to plant. what sort of things are you interested in PN?

Nov 2008
    in the ning nang nong

Things that DSs can see grow ... I'm thinking beans, snow peas, tomatoes, peppers, strawberries ... maybe also carrots and potatoes (I recall those two being easy to grow ...?).

We're up quite high and so get a lot of rain - but we're not right up near the top, so we also have a lot of drainage through us ... ie: we have to mow the lawns every other week to keep them reasonable - not short, just reasonable!

But we're not very good gardeners, so nothing too tricky (no matter how yummy) and we do get quite a number of possums and birds, so we'll probably need wire around them, I'm guessing ....?

And when I say we're bad gardeners I'm not being modest. My mint died.
    Last edited by peanutter; October 1st, 2012 at 08:17 AM. : adding.

Dec 2006

We have all of that in the garden now, so any time. Avoid growing spud though. It kills your soil for ages. You have to rehabilitate it and it takes a lot of work.

Dec 2006

PN, this planting calendar is set for Vic, so should give you an idea of what to plant and when - it might also give you an idea of what other things you might grow that you'd be interested in. we also found a planting guide you could just tear off a pad in bunnings if you happen to be in there at all - was near the seed packets. same thing, just all drawn up on one piece of paper lol

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b.../calendar?open

ETA - i also have a couple of other links if you're not happy with that one - they are commercial sites though, so i'd have to pm you - just let me know
    Last edited by briggsy's girl; October 1st, 2012 at 05:38 PM.

... 56789 ...