Thread: Growing Watermelons...

Default Growing Watermelons...

I've looked it up & found I should grow the seeds for 2-6 weeks in Sept/Oct/Nov and then plant in the ground in Jan/Feb.

What else do I need to know?

Where did you get the seeds from?

We haven't yet! A friend of ours runs a nursery so we'll get them from him or if he has seedlings I will do that later on instead.

Cool, go for seedlings - heaps easier! Or maybe do the seeds (kids will love it) but have the seedlings for a backup plan.
    Save an egg carton for the seeds xoxo

can you build a makeshift greenhouse? we grew from seeds in a greenhouse in spring last year (not in direct sunlight) and then planted several plants - would have been in, i dunno, december at the latest. then we just let it go wild. we got a lot of flowers and fruit but only one ended up being able to be harvested. not sure what went wrong - the garden was DH's responsibility last year cos it was rather difficult with a six month to get out there and not have her eaten by mosquitos!

A friend of mine did very little with hers last year & got 15 fruit on her first attempt. They were really yum too

I find the laundry can be a good greenhouse!

I had seedlings last year, only one survived the stupid dog but it went really well. I didn't realise until I noticed the tangle and a big fat fruit on it. Then I think the dog got to that too